Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
Getinthur

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Cam Choice

What goes into your guys decision in picking the right cam for your car? They all pretty much cost the same, seems like most shops all have different levels of their own “custom grind” cam, what leads you guys to your decision on which one you go with, also as opposed to a stage 1-3, why not always just go with the highest stage if it is giving you the most HP?
Getinthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getinthur View Post
What goes into your guys decision in picking the right cam for your car? They all pretty much cost the same, seems like most shops all have different levels of their own “custom grind” cam, what leads you guys to your decision on which one you go with, also as opposed to a stage 1-3, why not always just go with the highest stage if it is giving you the most HP?
Usually, a race cam (or above stage 2) will have a lopey or rough idle (not well-suited for city driving) and benefits most above 4,000 rpm (again not well-suited for city driving). And, oftentimes, the benefits from a stage 2 to a stage 3 are not that great.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Since your car is FI, you may want a cam with a wider LSA and perhaps negative overlap.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Bigger cam = more power
Bigger cam also = bad drivability

You want to balance in the middle unless you have a desire for either stock drivability (Smaller cam) or just all out peak HP and no care about drivability (Bigger cam). Personally, I've driven a C7 Z06 (LT4, same as the ZL1) with a Vengeance Stage 3 cam, car put down about 775 RWHP and had power everywhere. You can look up their youtube channel for some videos on lope, drivability and the like on their YouTube channel.

Don't just get a massive cam because you can. You'll break more parts and the car will be harder to drive (High revs off idle, bucking, stalling, no down low power, etc.).
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
bigger cam has a rough idle and may sacrifice a little low end torque. In the LT4, supercharging will negate some of this torque loss or it will be less noticeable. Higher lift cams can be harder on valvetrain parts such as valve springs and rockers. For road racing, a high lift cam can be really tough on parts and it has been suggested to try a cam with lower lift numbers. It depends upon your use and hp goals.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Getinthur

Drives: 2017 ZL1
What is AFM/DOD delete?
Getinthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Hmmmm...

active fuel management/displacement on demand
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
A cam swap can really make your car even more fun to drive, or it can make you want to shoot your car at sunrise. There are so many variables when selecting the right cam. 1) How do you use the car; street cruise/ hard core track/ somewhere in between 2) What other mods do you have or plan; headers, heads, gears, supercharger pulleys, etc. A cam functions as part of the whole, you do not just stick a cam in an engine and expect it to create maximum horsepower, or more importantly, maximum usable horsepower. How sensitive is your butt; cams impact drivability so how much compromise in drivability can you accept. Of course that somewhat depends how you intend to use the car to begin with. I suggest that you select a reputable cam vendor like Cam Motion, Comp, Vengeance Racing, etc. Any good vendor will walk you through these questions and more to help you select the right cam for you. Do not select the big donkey dick high horsepower cam because it made the most horsepower on some dyno somewhere unless you understand what that means for your vehicle.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
A cam swap can really make your car even more fun to drive, or it can make you want to shoot your car at sunrise. There are so many variables when selecting the right cam. 1) How do you use the car; street cruise/ hard core track/ somewhere in between 2) What other mods do you have or plan; headers, heads, gears, supercharger pulleys, etc. A cam functions as part of the whole, you do not just stick a cam in an engine and expect it to create maximum horsepower, or more importantly, maximum usable horsepower. How sensitive is your butt; cams impact drivability so how much compromise in drivability can you accept. Of course that somewhat depends how you intend to use the car to begin with. I suggest that you select a reputable cam vendor like Cam Motion, Comp, Vengeance Racing, etc. Any good vendor will walk you through these questions and more to help you select the right cam for you. Do not select the big donkey dick high horsepower cam because it made the most horsepower on some dyno somewhere unless you understand what that means for your vehicle.
Great post.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Quote:
Feel free to give me a call on a camshaft if you’d like to get into specifics. We put a lot of R&D into our camshaft specs, down to displacement, CR, power adder, use, and goals. We have the kit options to select various lifters, Head studs etc and you will not be disappointed! Stock blower, Whipple, Prochargers etc are all custom!

Even my compound boost cam for my 427 is a phenomenal daily driver and the thump makes Zeus proud!

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/searc...+gen+6+cam+kit
WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:35 AM   #11
bomariam1

Drives: 2018 ZL1, Cadillac ATS-V
For me, I will chose a simple cam that will keep the ZL1 driveable, add some power and will stand future mods.
bomariam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #12
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
How is the lope sound on a smaller stage 1? I had a decent size cam in a previous Vette and it bucked like hell at idle and ended up causing issues. As silly as it may sound, with a Zl1 I’m not looking for any more power - simply the joy of hearing the lope with headers. Just curious if the 1 is underwhelming
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #13
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
How is the lope sound on a smaller stage 1? I had a decent size cam in a previous Vette and it bucked like hell at idle and ended up causing issues. As silly as it may sound, with a Zl1 I’m not looking for any more power - simply the joy of hearing the lope with headers. Just curious if the 1 is underwhelming
The stage 1 has some chug without shaking the car. I need to get a sound clip dug up on that one
WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote