Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #29
TigerFA

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2017 Red Hot
Don't know if they failed but we setup a time.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

2017 2SS, 2014 2SS 1LE, 2014 2SS
TigerFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #30
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
The locksmith is involved......nobody opens a car for someone without the keys visible inside unless they have proof it's their vehicle.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #31
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFA View Post
Hey guys,
Sadly my car was stolen last night and attempted break in the day before from a private apartment complex in south Philadelphia. It's a black 2014 SS with z28 Spoiler and NPP option, Manual. Sidelights and rear lights are tinted. Lexani chrome black wheels invictus Z. If someone sees this vehicle driving around or standing somewhere please PM to me or information to 1st police district Philadelphia 215-686-3010. This was a setup, somebody called a locksmith the day before and let the car be opened and the theft system activated. They have kind of a tool to program or turn ignition on. Side window was cracked, steering lock neutral. I don't think you can do anything like this without a key or ignition on. I couldn't move the car. And the next night they stole it, no signs of a tow truck, so they must have driven it off the lot.

If that is a new way to steal cars, watch out for your camaros!

Any help is appreciated. Please share.

Thank you.

Here my Question:
The thing is how they did it, locksmith the day before and then gone with the antitheft active and no sign of a tow truck on the surveillance. Also I recognized my open close remote didn't work that night when the antitheft was active. And i tried to fix this with the Chevrolet assistance. Also worse this OnStar shit, if you never setup an account and pay, they not even can track your car in case of theft. I'm sure they switched the BCU. It should still open and close with the key remote?! Really awkward. Also that locksmith company who did this advertise with reprogramming FOB's and BCU/ECU's.... something is off there

If somebody can tell me how this anti theft system works, would be nice.

OP, sorry for your loss! I live in Philly as well, N.E.. I'm always on the lookout for other camaros on the road. I know of quite a few in my area from seeing them repeatedly. I travel all over the city and suburbs for my work. I will definitely keep an eye out for it, but like others have said, it's probably a lost cause. Chances are it made its way to the docks either here or in NY and is sitting in a sea box on its way to Europe or the middle east.

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #32
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Everything GM designed as far as "security" for the Camaro is 100% useless. Thieves are using hacked ECU's. They get under the hood, swap the ECU and drive off. Takes about a minute. It's been really bad here with 5th gens for a couple years. And now they're targeting 6th gens as well.

I think three or four Camaros in our local Camaro club have been stolen. Here's one of them.

https://youtu.be/u-FKJuJIqTY
Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #33
TigerFA

2014 Camaro SS stolen in Philadelphia Area

But with what they steal it? Is there an universal key? How they can get the steering wheel lock off without any scratches? I understand the part with the ECU, but you still need a key for the manual locks?!

Bye is that a ZL1?

Old 06-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #34
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
Thank you for the warning. Not much you can do if the locksmith was accessory to that theft. He didn't do his due diligence. Anyhow,I guess it's back to the old days, when you have to use a club and lock it on your steering wheel, but that's not full proof, they can bypass that with a tow truck but maybe it's enough to deter a less than experienced car thief. Keep us updated.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #35
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
Thank you for the warning. Not much you can do if the locksmith was accessory to that theft. He didn't do his due diligence. Anyhow,I guess it's back to the old days, when you have to use a club and lock it on your steering wheel, but that's not full proof, they can bypass that with a tow truck but maybe it's enough to deter a less than experienced car thief. Keep us updated.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, a small can of liquid nitrogen renders The Club useless in about 5 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #36
TigerFA

2014 Camaro SS stolen in Philadelphia Area

The sad things these days, if they want your car, they will get it! All information is out there in the web. Just dig in it, and you prepared. Takes seconds or minutes. The only thing is Anker your car to the ground with good old st42 chains an inch thick and they will go nowhere.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #37
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
I apologize then.
You sound young and inexperienced.

And tow trucks do come out at 10PM, 3AM, whatever. More often than not they take it to a yard that is monitored 24/7. It isn't an easy life for the drivers. Just like police and firemen. It's an emergency service.

While most people know vehicles with flashing red or blue lights always have the right of way, so do vehicles with flashing yellow lights. You are required to yield. Just for your information. Construction vehicles, tow trucks, etc.
Must be an Illinois thing. You absolutely are not required to yield to a tow truck in Pennsylvania. They aren't even supposed to have the amber lights on while towing, but 99% of them do.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:37 AM   #38
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
This really sucks to read.
You have insurance. So I'm sure you can get a replacement that way. I'd sue the lock smith company for being stupid.

Your likely hood of ever seeing this car again is 0% if its not in a shipping container its been stripped parts sold off and what's left cut up and sold for scrap.

In CA its common to just strip the car of everything with in 8 hours. Cut up the frame and skeleton in to chunks and take it to a scrap yard.

I do hope every one saying move on including me is wrong and they find your baby.
But next car pay to have a kill switch hidden somewhere.
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:04 AM   #39
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Must be an Illinois thing. You absolutely are not required to yield to a tow truck in Pennsylvania. They aren't even supposed to have the amber lights on while towing, but 99% of them do.
Well, I am not going to look up the statutes in Pennsylvania. Are you saying that you don't have to yield to maintenance or construction vehicles?
Because a tow truck is a maintenance vehicle.

A construction vehicle may be maintaining guardrail or shoulders or other safety issues which can cause a danger to the general public, including stalled vehicles.

The reason tow trucks keep the amber lights on is because it is difficult for a following driver to see brake lights and turn signals.

Now I have not worked in Pennsylvania but I have worked on highways in seven other states. Construction and maintenance vehicles always require you to slow down and yield.

You are threatening lives if you don't.

Last edited by CamaroFred; 07-01-2017 at 05:18 AM.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #40
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFA View Post
They have to change VIN numbers then I still have the original title, that shouldn't be easy

They don't have to change VIN numbers. Once your insurance pays you for the vehicle, they own it so your title wouldn't mean anything anymore. When the thief buys it from the auction its put on a salvage title with the same VIN. My Camaro that was stolen has the same VIN on it. I looked it up about 6 months after I was car jacked on Carfax and it was being driven in a different state on a salvage title.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #41
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Well, I am not going to look up the statutes in Pennsylvania. Are you saying that you don't have to yield to maintenance or construction vehicles?
Because a tow truck is a maintenance vehicle.

A construction vehicle may be maintaining guardrail or shoulders or other safety issues which can cause a danger to the general public, including stalled vehicles.

The reason tow trucks keep the amber lights on is because it is difficult for a following driver to see brake lights and turn signals.

Now I have not worked in Pennsylvania but I have worked on highways in seven other states. Construction and maintenance vehicles always require you to slow down and yield.

You are threatening lives if you don't.
I think the confusion is coming from the wording you used, especially in your 1st post I quoted, in which you give the same power to tow trucks as police, fire, & EMS. Yield by statute requires the other motorists to allow passage over the normal standards of movement, i.e. "right of way". This is far different than prudent caution when approaching a work zone, as your example of maintenance trucks working on a guide rail. Tow trucks are allowed amber lighting for approach to an emergency scene and during the load up, however under PA Title 75, or commonly referred to as "the motor code", the amber lighting is not to be used during the transport. Personally it doesn't bother me if tow trucks use the amber lights when hauling a vehicle, but they absolutely do not require anyone to yield. Title 75 also does not allow volunteer fire & EMS responders to violate normal traffic regulations while responding in their private vehicles equipped with lightning or for other traffic to yield, but I always pull over and let them pass.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #42
Scottiemac

Drives: Black 2015 1ss/rs
Keeping a look out. It looks like my car so I would notice it easily. A pro will get your car if it's parked outside. They have most things figured out, even aftermarket systems. A hidden kill switch works but they can tow it. Tough break. I hope the thefts of Camaros doesn't escalate here like in Calif. one is too many!
Scottiemac is offline   Reply With Quote