Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #15
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Can someone share a link to this rodmod thing? I see it mentioned a lot but have no idea what it is

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #16
Ewey

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 6 speed black
Quote:
Originally Posted by camrytt View Post
Can someone share a link to this rodmod thing? I see it mentioned a lot but have no idea what it is
ditto. Never heard of it.
Ewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Google gpi rod mod...
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:03 PM   #18
URDAMAN

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS / RS
Intake manifold mods <------ search this thread lots of info http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344234

Last edited by URDAMAN; 05-28-2017 at 08:37 PM.
URDAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #19
Ewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
Google gpi rod mod...
Not gonna happen. I'll ask my butler to google it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by URDAMAN View Post
Intake manifold mods <------ search this thread lots of info http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344234
Thanks. its nice to see helpful people on here. I'll check it out.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #20
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
The butler comment cracked me up man hahahaha

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #21
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewey View Post
Thanks for the reply. When you say new manifold are you referring to the FAST manifold?
Yes. Intake manifold.

As other stated, you could also do the rodmod. Rick Crawford started it with the G8, GPI copied it.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #22
Ewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrytt View Post
The butler comment cracked me up man hahahaha
I'll be honest... I Googled it.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:24 AM   #23
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
So.....there is another manufacturer making a NEW intake manifold for 5th gens...check this out... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...04&postcount=7

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:52 AM   #24
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
I know NOTHING about the v8 in these cars, but I hope I can get people to have a good laugh

have you tried the Jeremy Clarkson method : yelling power as loud as you can and rocking back in forth in the seat

in all seriousness under drive pulley and maybe a tune to run on E85 might get you there. how attached to your AC are you, could bypass that and gain a little more HP and TQ. could always put your car on the bottle and spray it a extra 20-50 shot
maybe methanol injection to keep fuel from braking up

now im just thinking out side the box(because I don't know if these exist for these motors) bore out the cylinders for bigger pistons ? depending on if there is enough material to bore out before the metal would be to thin and brake in to the cooling area for the block?
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #25
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
UDP not going to free up squat except the wallet weight slightly of the owner, really a good Fluidampr or ATI will cost you yet save in harmful engine vibrations for a harmonic balancer which is good as the vibrations of a cammed engine are way out of the norm for the stock pulley which does no dampening as the fairly well internally balanced engine does not use one. ROD mod....pull your intake send it in for a couple HP.... your chasing things, e-85....you going to run it and the upgrades to the fuel pump and hoses then have to switch back just to reach a number....

Frankly just call it good, your cam what ever it is determined a lot with the tune and flow of your engine what you will get, this mythogical great gateway to heaven at 500 rwhp is bull..... Torque is what moves you.......... not showing how hard the engine is working making that torque.

You want to invest money for fun, spray it with a two stage or what ever and the gains will be much more than you think and you don't have to go chasing the stars and moon to do it just get the best hot rod shop to dyno tune it in and play with that when you want. SO you reached 491 hp to the wheels you x that by 15% drive line loss ls3 that's 73.65 hp = 565.65 hp at the flywheel what a dealer would sell the car with.... about the area of a zl1.

Or you could just drive to a guy with a dynojet that inflates ego's, what should matter to you is the seat of the pants, if you ever decide to stroke it some day you will notice that I can guarantee you...Torque does matter more than HP..... Our cylinders BTW are cast into the block are non removable unless stupid hard up and can only be honed .020 over but hey you can stroke out to a 427-8-9, but most do a 416...

Sure it may not up the HP but by god having that much more torque down low even if your running a mild cam makes all the difference in the world....50+ ft lbs at 2000 rpm means all the difference in the world moving a land barge. Just something to think about. And I should be running a cam that's a lot more duration than I have taking it easy because I daily drive and don't have the cash for the MAST small bore ls7 heads and a airforce intake and 102 right now along with a new cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, gaskets, bolts, let alone assembly and dyno tune.... I am at a measly 486 Torque with a mild stage 3 commotion cam and just stock ported heads I left a lot on the table on purpose because; the race goes to the guy with the most money...LOL

Now had I a real blown ls7 or twin turbo I would be looking at a whole new rear end, trans upgrade.... drive shafts, wheels and tires, more suspension..... its a vicious cycle of hemmoraging money..... Good Luck..... a cheapo 500 hp sticker would get you there from ebay, or should I say a cheapo 565 hp sticker...LOL That intake may be nice for top end numbers for a long runner metal intake, I expect it like most of them to heat soak a little and not be good for down low and loose some to stock and require a tune on a dyno....$$$$
Old 05-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #26
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
OP, what intake are you running?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #27
Ewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
OP, what intake are you running?
When I bought it the original owner had a K&N CAI already installed. Unless you are talking about the intake manifold, which is stock.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #28
Ewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
UDP not going to free up squat except the wallet weight slightly of the owner, really a good Fluidampr or ATI will cost you yet save in harmful engine vibrations for a harmonic balancer which is good as the vibrations of a cammed engine are way out of the norm for the stock pulley which does no dampening as the fairly well internally balanced engine does not use one. ROD mod....pull your intake send it in for a couple HP.... your chasing things, e-85....you going to run it and the upgrades to the fuel pump and hoses then have to switch back just to reach a number....

Frankly just call it good, your cam what ever it is determined a lot with the tune and flow of your engine what you will get, this mythogical great gateway to heaven at 500 rwhp is bull..... Torque is what moves you.......... not showing how hard the engine is working making that torque.

You want to invest money for fun, spray it with a two stage or what ever and the gains will be much more than you think and you don't have to go chasing the stars and moon to do it just get the best hot rod shop to dyno tune it in and play with that when you want. SO you reached 491 hp to the wheels you x that by 15% drive line loss ls3 that's 73.65 hp = 565.65 hp at the flywheel what a dealer would sell the car with.... about the area of a zl1.

Or you could just drive to a guy with a dynojet that inflates ego's, what should matter to you is the seat of the pants, if you ever decide to stroke it some day you will notice that I can guarantee you...Torque does matter more than HP..... Our cylinders BTW are cast into the block are non removable unless stupid hard up and can only be honed .020 over but hey you can stroke out to a 427-8-9, but most do a 416...

Sure it may not up the HP but by god having that much more torque down low even if your running a mild cam makes all the difference in the world....50+ ft lbs at 2000 rpm means all the difference in the world moving a land barge. Just something to think about. And I should be running a cam that's a lot more duration than I have taking it easy because I daily drive and don't have the cash for the MAST small bore ls7 heads and a airforce intake and 102 right now along with a new cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, gaskets, bolts, let alone assembly and dyno tune.... I am at a measly 486 Torque with a mild stage 3 commotion cam and just stock ported heads I left a lot on the table on purpose because; the race goes to the guy with the most money...LOL

Now had I a real blown ls7 or twin turbo I would be looking at a whole new rear end, trans upgrade.... drive shafts, wheels and tires, more suspension..... its a vicious cycle of hemmoraging money..... Good Luck..... a cheapo 500 hp sticker would get you there from ebay, or should I say a cheapo 565 hp sticker...LOL That intake may be nice for top end numbers for a long runner metal intake, I expect it like most of them to heat soak a little and not be good for down low and loose some to stock and require a tune on a dyno....$$$$
I may take your advise on this and continue to invest into other areas.