Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #29
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Like I tell my wife, "honey, you can't have the purr without the claws!" She hates that, probably because it's true. Everything has its cost - which is not always monetary. Choose carefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolestCamaro873 View Post
Geez I was considering a Vert this summer but after reading this thread I may just forget about it. Yikes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #30
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
alright i hope this is something that can easily be fixed or is just a flaw on a couple of cars. because i was really looking foward to a vert.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #31
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Take a black piece of cloth and start rubbing something hard up against it.....and watch the dye start to fade. Just a natural reaction to dark fabrics wearing.

gaddied - never heard of a conditioner for a cloth top. Do they make one?

Second - has anyone considered ScotchGuarding their top? I'm thinking of masking the body up one day and spraying my top with ScotchGuard. Should help the wear some, but will definately protect it from water, bird crap, tree sap, etc.....

Two cans should cover the top easily. Something that could be done 1-2 times a year depending on weather in your area.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #32
gaddied

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Take a black piece of cloth and start rubbing something hard up against it.....and watch the dye start to fade. Just a natural reaction to dark fabrics wearing.

Second - has anyone considered ScotchGuarding their top? I'm thinking of masking the body up one day and spraying my top with ScotchGuard. Should help the wear some, but will definately protect it from water, bird crap, tree sap, etc.....

Two cans should cover the top easily. Something that could be done 1-2 times a year depending on weather in your area.
Raggtopp Fabric Protectant, Is it. Google Raggtopp Fabric Protectant.
gaddied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #33
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post

I used 303 cloth convertible top protectant on mine right after I got it. Amazing the water bead I have now! I did some research and had a thread in here months ago asking for top advice and that was the overwhelming majority rule. Seemed to work really well.

I DO have the marks on the passenger side however I do NOT have the wear marks from the tanneau cover that many ppl mentioned in here- and I can only assume its due to the protectant. I drive 95% of the time w the top down and cover on, 2500 miles with a lot of hwy/high speed driving so if anyone would have it-id think I would.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #34
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
I used 303 cloth convertible top protectant on mine right after I got it.
Thanks for posting this again. I didn't see the other thread and it looks like an excellent idea.
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #35
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12cyljohn View Post
This must be your first convertible? Do you take your pants back to Walmart when they become wrinkled and dirty from wearing them? There are some excellent cleaners and conditioners for convertible tops, especially from M-B and BMW. Seam re-sealing is also a regular requirement on a cloth top, and there a number of vendors for new tops, for a reason.
I had a 95 Z28 vert that i parked outside in the elements all day long, put the top dawn/up everyday and I never had a problem with it. I have only had this car 1 month and it is garage kept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolestCamaro873 View Post
alright i hope this is something that can easily be fixed or is just a flaw on a couple of cars. because i was really looking foward to a vert.
It is a very minor issue and in no way would it ever stop me from owning this great car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
I used 303 cloth convertible top protectant on mine right after I got it. Amazing the water bead I have now! I did some research and had a thread in here months ago asking for top advice and that was the overwhelming majority rule. Seemed to work really well.

I DO have the marks on the passenger side however I do NOT have the wear marks from the tanneau cover that many ppl mentioned in here- and I can only assume its due to the protectant. I drive 95% of the time w the top down and cover on, 2500 miles with a lot of hwy/high speed driving so if anyone would have it-id think I would.
I just ordered me a 303 kit, thanks.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #36
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Just a word of advice for ppl using 303- I was told its a PITA to get off paint if you get any overspray. I used platic trash bags between the top and the windows/windshield when I applied just in case. I didn't get any over spray doing that, so it might be worth the little extra work for anyone else as well. Most marine stores sell it, if not I got mine through Amazon for about $25. Used 2/3 of the bottle for a good base coat.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #37
rainey85

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro Vert.
Okay everyone, sorry it took me a couple of days to get back on here to let ya'll know what my dealers service dept. said about the areas on my top. They spent all day researching what needs to be done and GM told them to put clips on the bar that is causing the problem so it does not get worse and becomes a hole. GM will not allow the dealers to do any repair work to the top, (I saw the letter from GM, so I know it's true) and at this time all they said to do was put on the clips. Apparently my car is the first one GM has been notified about so my dealer said for me to pass along the word to you guys to let your dealer know what is happening so they can contact GM and also it wouldn't hurt to contact GM yourselves. Hopefully the more complaints that they receive will cause them to realize there is a real problem and it needs to be addressed. My dealer documented everything so that if the area does become a hole it will be covered. My dealer also said DO NOT under any circumstances try to fix the problem yourself or let any other convertible repair shops fix it because GM WILL NOT cover it if the problem persists or any other damage occurs while trying to repair it.

SO MAKE SURE YOU TAKE YOUR CAR TO YOUR DEALER SO THEY CAN ALERT GM OF THE PROBLEM OR TAKE PICTURES AND SEND THEM TO GM YOURSELF!!

rainey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #38
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Thanks, rainey85 - great info! Still waiting for my car to be made.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #39
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey85 View Post
OR TAKE PICTURES AND SEND THEM TO GM YOURSELF!!
Thanks for the update. I'm like others, the issue on the passenger side is WAY worse. I never saw it because, well, I never really go over there...

I just got off the phone with GM tonight for a customer satisfaction survey and explained in great deal the top-rubbing issue. I also pointed him to this website and explained others' experiences.

I'm getting close for my first oil change so I'll be taking it to dealer soon and pre-notifying them of the issue.
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #40
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

I still havent brought mine in for the water/trunk bulletin, and the fact that my driver side air bag light only works 50% of the time... guess I really need to get her in for a check-up
Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #41
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
I just forwarded this topic to my Chevy dealer service manager just in case. I haven't noticed it, but I'm sure I will.

Jim
Tiberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:39 AM   #42
Angella
~Living the Dream~

Drives: 11 2SSRS Vert, 11 CBR250
hmm maybe i need to check mine but i didnt see any problems before~ i also use 303 and it works great~ i never leave my top down even if im just running into the store just just a second.. could it be those marks are from leaving the top down??