Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 02-25-2017, 02:37 AM   #1
Vintendo

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convert
New to me 2012 2SS convertible

I will try to keep this one short unlike my Debut post

Just purchased as the title of this post States : a 2012 2SS convertible.

Things are going Great but a Few issues are making me worry..

The Car was a Decent Price i thought for All the miles i was seeing around online and so on for local sales.

they were asking 21.5k and on a trade in for my 2008 G37S i was able to get the car for about 13k out the Door.. which included an extended warranty.

I was Told that the car still has Factory Warranty..

The Miles on the Car are 31k..

I noticed that the car has a Few issues that I really am hoping i could find some help here with.

I thank You all in advance.. And apologize for any Hardcore Noobie that might come through.

The first issue is that i noticed what I thought was a Bumpy ride... I couldn't figure out if it was just me not being used to such a big car again..

but it just felt kinda like I'm driving a big ole Cadillac SUV or something at times..

its like i feel like i would have to always keep my hands on the steering wheel cause if i was to hit a dip in the road it might go everywhere or something if that makes sense...

just very "bouncy/Springy" Type ride..

and I feel some vibration at times and certain speeds..

So I decided that maybe it needs to have the wheels aligned ...

Thats when I started to hear another sound...

it seems like Rubbing sound.. almost like the exact sound that it would make if your tires are too big and are Touching when turning..

This happens when I pull out of a Parking spot and then turn right or left to Pull forward.. if that makes much sense..

it almost then started to feel like The Car was almost riding on a bent rim... where you can hear that "rubbing" sound ... and then its like the car is struggling to Coast...

The dealership that i bought it From said to bring it to their guy to have him align the wheels...

I decided i would take it to the Chevy Dealer here in town instead...

Long story Short.. after having it all day... and Dealing with the Zo Called Midway Chevy ...

I get the car back and they tell me its something with the rear and that there is a Bulletin about it... Something about Axel seals or Seals With Fluid something or another in the Rear... and once fixed I would have to drive ti for 500 miles to see if that helps.. then if not they would replace the rear... I asked under warranty ? yes they said...

the thing is that i have 15 days to bring the car back to the Dealer I bought it from and take it up with them according to Arizona State law..

but I'm wondering... has anyone had this Rubbing sound issue and something about the rear before in this car?

also is this something that is common on this model Camaro ?

its just that i left the dealership Kinda Confused..

another thing is that the top is starting to show some wear... even a little tiny almost hole/rip.... Does anyone know if Warranty covers the Rag Top? or what options i would have when it comes to the Rag top and aging

i plan on ordering an Exhaust system in the next week or so... Would that void anything ? The car is not a lease

sorry for the ramble ... Just worried cause I love the car but i don't want to Get ripped off with a car that has some major problems or something
Vintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
The rear diff rubbing sound is pretty common.
Go to an open parking lot and make some figure eights.
Not easy figure 8s, hard ones. Like you are taking it on a test beat.

And yes, the ride can be harsh and you do have to keep your hands on the wheel. It is a performance machine, not your Mercedes lean back and let the car do it. Watch one of those suckers disappear in your rearview when you hang a ralph. They won't even know what hit them.

Can't help you with the top.

Aftermarket exhausts will not last like the OEM. Waste of money in my eyes, but some like the noise. Might gain you 6HP and annoy you on the highway.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #3
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
I had to buy a new top on my 12 last year about a month after buying it. They wouldn't cover anything. There is suppose to be some sort of class action lawsuit (google Duck lawyer camaro top) but I think the law firm was just gathering people's info. The odd ride my camaro had the same issue. Ended up being a frozen rear shock. Been ok since then. Aftermarket exhaust is as good as what you buy. There's some seriously good ones out there that will really make your camaro run very nicely and probably outlast the car
Ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
69 SS 350 5 Speed

Drives: 69 SS Camaro 2019 Corvette GS Vert.
The factory warranty on a 2012 will not cover the top issue. The bumper to bumper is for 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. So the bumper to bumper expired about 2 years ago. The drivetrain on a 2012 has 6 years or 100,000 miles. Check your extended warranty, I bet it does not cover the convertible top. Most of them (including GMEPP) do not.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
Vintendo

Thank you guys for the info.

As far as the rear diff rubbing sound, is this a sign that something major is wrong? The dealer wants to replace seals and fluid they said.

Will this remove the sound?

Also can driving the car with this issue be bad for the car or even dangerous ?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:01 AM   #6
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
The top alone is a nightmare to replace & quite pricey, but with that & the plain stereo and the rubbing. Consider returning for a 2013 vert with better top.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Vintendo

The price was right in my range. That's why I'm hoping this is just a few little things. The top isn't so bad by any means. Maybe I can use something on it to make it look even better?
Old 02-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Sure, a lot of fellas use Ragtop or 303. I use chemical Guys products. No car washes! get a soft brush to wash, wait fir it to fully dry & apply protectant, a couple of passes. It will approve the overall appearance & it will shed water. A good quality lint roller is great for quick between wash tidy up.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
Fireman124

Drives: 45th convertible ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchonutty View Post
I had to buy a new top on my 12 last year about a month after buying it. They wouldn't cover anything. There is suppose to be some sort of class action lawsuit (google Duck lawyer camaro top) but I think the law firm was just gathering people's info. The odd ride my camaro had the same issue. Ended up being a frozen rear shock. Been ok since then. Aftermarket exhaust is as good as what you buy. There's some seriously good ones out there that will really make your camaro run very nicely and probably outlast the car
Can I ask what the new top cost with installation.
Fireman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Welcome to the club

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #11
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Mine ran just under $1500 then still leaked because the water bag was ripped at the seams again due to GM's dumbass engineers. I had to have that fixed too. My new top has only been on for less than a year and 4,000 miles and already looks like it has rub marks. I put the 303 protectant on it and it's garaged 100% of the time. It doesn't matter even if you bought a brand new vert because when I was at the dealer last week, they had a brand new one in there with top issues.
Ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
Vintendo

Really is a shame that you spend this much money and the top is like this
Old 02-27-2017, 02:00 AM   #13
vegas girl

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS BRM convertible
I get soooo sick every time I read about the issues with 2011 and 2012 vert tops. Then I run to hug Cami and thank God she's a 2013 and not one issue with the top.

2013 2LT/RS BRM Convertible
vegas girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:12 AM   #14
Caseyls3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
There is a thread in this forum on how to prevent the rub marks over the windows. You just need to trim some of the plastic back - I did it and it fixed the problem.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Vert - Jewel Red Tintcoat, 6M, 231/247 Comp Cam, Kooks headers, Borla ATAK, ATI under drive pulley, Richmond 4.10s, LS9 clutch, Hurst shifter, BMR Springs
Caseyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote