Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
American Muscle

Drives: #26 Tom Henry Racing 2010 1SS/LS3
5th Gen camaro engine swap

So i'm probably going to have to get the v6 version of the camaro due to the fact that I can't wait any longer and save up for the v8 without going insane. Plus i'm only 22 and it will be much easier on my insurance. The question I have is if i were to swap the v6 engine for a v8 or big block of some sort down the line when I have more money, could I just swap the engine or would I need to swap a variety of other things in the car as well? Am new at tech stuff but am trying to learn. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
not worth it,,, too many things are different, save and get a v8. lots of dealers have them on there lot now.
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
to do it right, it would end up costing MORE than waiting and getting getting the V8 to start with. not only would you need the engine, but also the tranny, drive shaft, and rear end. Then all of the electronics to go along with them, and I would be willing to bet that the wiring harrness will need to be changed out to connect everything you just got to hook it up. AND the labor to do all of this........have you or are you planning on winning a lottery? or just have more money than you know what to do with?
Old 10-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
American Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
to do it right, it would end up costing MORE than waiting and getting getting the V8 to start with. not only would you need the engine, but also the tranny, drive shaft, and rear end. Then all of the electronics to go along with them, and I would be willing to bet that the wiring harrness will need to be changed out to connect everything you just got to hook it up. AND the labor to do all of this........have you or are you planning on winning a lottery? or just have more money than you know what to do with?
if i had more money than i knew what to do with I would have an ss in my driveway rather than nothing. It was a question i didnt know the answer and as stated I am new to tech stuff and didn't know that you needed to change all that.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Iroc-z86

Drives: 86' Iroc-z 14' Camaro SS 98' Jimmy
heh yeah sounds like a good idea but not with todays computers and all. with the older cars its a cake walk but im not sure id even bother with a new model...
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
American Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc-z86 View Post
heh yeah sounds like a good idea but not with todays computers and all. with the older cars its a cake walk but im not sure id even bother with a new model...
thanks.. didn't think about the new computers
Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Muscle View Post
if i had more money than i knew what to do with I would have an ss in my driveway rather than nothing. It was a question i didnt know the answer and as stated I am new to tech stuff and didn't know that you needed to change all that.
sorry if you took it the wrong way, which is why I mentioned all the stuff you would have to chabnge out.............thats all, its been a long day, I knew you didn't know, which is why you ask the question......thats all.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
Iroc-z86

Drives: 86' Iroc-z 14' Camaro SS 98' Jimmy
Yeah np.

I speak from experience with my 86, it was originally computer controlled carb (bs that never worked) so i ripped that off and put a straight carb on it. no problems there. It wasnt until i went to TPI that i needed to add a new computer, change dash harness wires and run new wires. In the end it was worth it, but remember this technology is over 20 years old so its very very primitive compared to the new cars.
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
American Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
sorry if you took it the wrong way, which is why I mentioned all the stuff you would have to chabnge out.............thats all, its been a long day, I knew you didn't know, which is why you ask the question......thats all.
no worries.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Like most said it could be done but much would change tranny, wiring, PCM, and after all that you still wont have the suspension,brakes, etc. that come with the SS. I say hang in their and save up for the SS or by the very capable LT and in a few years trade it in on an SS or Z28(Nice to dream) or perhaps an SS Convertible. At an rate I think what ever car you get will bring a smile to your face. ;-)

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Like most said it could be done but much would change tranny, wiring, PCM, and after all that you still wont have the suspension,brakes, etc. that come with the SS. I say hang in their and save up for the SS or by the very capable LT and in a few years trade it in on an SS or Z28(Nice to dream) or perhaps an SS Convertible. At an rate I think what ever car you get will bring a smile to your face. ;-)

waaaaaaay too much stuff to change for a V8...will end up costing much more. Either wait or get a V6 and trade it in for an SS when you can afford it.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
It'll be a bit of research, work, and it'll cost a bit of money to make it happen. You'd need the LS3/L99, LS3/L99 wiring harnesses, motor mounts, and some other things I think. Also like others said even if you did the swap the car wouldn't be an SS becuase it doesn't have the SS RPO codes.

I'd suggest to hold out for the V8 or nothing at all for now since the Camaro's haven't been out that long and used ones haven't started to see depreciation on the used car lots yet but in due time they will.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
If you can't wait I'm sure the V6 will have plenty of power options available to it in the future. It won't be a V8, but a V6 with some mods can be a fast fast car.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
Jlpinc4y

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
At an rate I think what ever car you get will bring a smile to your face. ;-)
Got the v6 and its plenty for me.. also my first car but I am in love with it..
Jlpinc4y is offline   Reply With Quote