Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
Where's the antenna? + anyone do an all window metal tint?

So apparently metal tint only affects the car if the antenna is in the rear window. I have a detailing place that can do metal tint on the sides, and a lifetime warrantied dyed tint for the rear window if the rear window has the antenna.

So where is the antenna on the Camaro, and has anybody done an all window metal tint (including rear?) Thanks!
sen10l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
sooneRS

Drives: Black
rear window
Old 11-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
I wish someone would have told me about metal tint before I had mine done. I got my windows tinted 20% including the back and I don't get FM radio stations very good at all. I called my tint guy and he said he used more expensive tint with titanium in it instead of the cheap stuff that turns purple over time. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution like a booster or something?
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
I wish someone would have told me about metal tint before I had mine done. I got my windows tinted 20% including the back and I don't get FM radio stations very good at all. I called my tint guy and he said he used more expensive tint with titanium in it instead of the cheap stuff that turns purple over time. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution like a booster or something?
Not sure if you want to go this route, but you can get to the plugs for the antennas right underneath the passenger kick panel. So you could feasibly put an after market antennae off the front of the car.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:50 AM   #5
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
I thought the antenna was built into the shark fin?

but in any regards, I had ceramic tint done on my sides (35% I think) and on the back window (15%) and i have had no issues with any reception.

from what I hear Ceramic is the way to go, but have never heard of the "metal"
Old 11-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
I thought the antenna was built into the shark fin?

but in any regards, I had ceramic tint done on my sides (35% I think) and on the back window (15%) and i have had no issues with any reception.

from what I hear Ceramic is the way to go, but have never heard of the "metal"
There is two of them, the FM antenae is built into the glass, and the other is the shark fin.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
Where exactly is this so called antenna in the rear window????? My windows are tinted 90% including sides.....I have never had any reception problems. Looking at the rear window as we speek and all I see is the rear defroster...Years ago all car manufacturers did away of window antennas (used to be in front windshield) because of reception issues. Is that not true with the 2010 Camaro? I am under the same school of thought as everybody else.....The "OnStar, Satellite, as well as AM/FM" are all part of the shark fin?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Not sure if you want to go this route, but you can get to the plugs for the antennas right underneath the passenger kick panel. So you could feasibly put an after market antennae off the front of the car.
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM73 View Post
Where exactly is this so called antenna in the rear window????? My windows are tinted 90% including sides.....I have never had any reception problems. Looking at the rear window as we speek and all I see is the rear defroster...Years ago all car manufacturers did away of window antennas (used to be in front windshield) because of reception issues. Is that not true with the 2010 Camaro? I am under the same school of thought as everybody else.....The "OnStar, Satellite, as well as AM/FM" are all part of the shark fin?
The antenna's basically integrated into the rear window. It looks exactly like the defroster.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM73 View Post
my 2003 Monte Carlo had the antenna in the rear window and never had any reception problems like my 74 Camaro did...
Old 11-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
When I had my 2005 GTO the radio antenna was in the back glass also. The guy that always tints my cars said that metal would only affect am not fm (who listens to am?) So I put metal all the way around cause once your done that's it. Never fads etc. And on the GTO's you couldn't get xm. So I listened to fm most of the time when not a cd and never had any problem with reception what so ever. I've got a 2010 2SS on order and when it comes in I plan on putting metal on it also. My tint guy said hes done several Camaros and there wasn't a problem with fm.
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #12
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I'm sure this is mentioned elsewhere, but is the "shark fin" the XM or OnStar antenna?
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
The shark fin is definitely for OnStar, not sure about XM though.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
WOMPUS
It's on its way!!!!!

Drives: '10 2SS/RS IOM CAMARO
I don't see how metallic tint would affect your radio reception. I believe the FM antenna is in the back glass, XM on the shark fin, and I don't know where the AM antenna is...usually a coil somewhere as it needs to be long since AM wavelength is so long. Even with the FM antenna in the back glass, the tint is underneath (inside the car) and wouldn't affect the antenna's capabilities.

I think what metallic tint can affect is radar detectors (operated from inside the car), and anything wireless that communicates to the inside of the car from the outside (or vice versa)...maybe the tire pressure sensors...I don't know.
WOMPUS is offline   Reply With Quote