Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-20-2023, 03:51 PM   #1
KeyWestCamaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Redline
2017 2SS Electrical Nightmare

1 dealership in Key West with a month wait. Car hass 20k on it amn kep under cover. Car was running fine I went to Tennessee for Thanksgiving to see family and when I came back it was dead I've never changed the battery and it's the 17 so I immediately changed the battery which died overnight got another battery because it was under warranty thinking maybe it was a bad one swap that one out too used to jump box because it would not jump with cables still have the battery drain issue all fuses check good I change the three relays that are the same in the front fuse box checked all the grounds that I could find my trunk is currently torn apart because of that everything in it looks brand new but I'm popping two codes on Startup that once I clear them they don't come back one for transmission and one for fuel pump I also have random electrical issues that come and go like heated or cooled seats don't work my rear view camera didn't work for two days and now it's fine. I can't find anything wrong except I did pull my amp out of my trunk and I realized that there was a whole lot of grease on the one port and the other ports just had a little bit around the edges curious if that left Port if all the pins were covered with grease if that would cause an issue it was like that from the factory or a previous owner I did not do that. For the moment I'm stuck disconnecting my battery every time I stop for any period of time and leaving my truck really pop so that I can access it when I'm not crawling through the back.
Attached Images

KeyWestCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 04:42 PM   #2
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
A bad battery can cause various random different things not to work, and various random codes to be thrown. I'm sure you bought the correct battery for the car. Have you checked the new battery to make sure it's operating properly, that's it's properly charged? Your fuse box in the trunk didn't get wet while you were gone, did it?
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Why the hell is there grease over all the connectors? That is not from her factory. How long have you owned this car?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 07:38 PM   #4
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Dielectric grease maybe? Not sure why the amp should need it, shouldn't be water getting there..
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:31 PM   #5
KeyWestCamaro

Battery was changed and the new battery died overnight. It was under warranty so swapped it again in case I got a bad one. The car I've owned 2 years and no issues till now. I just took the amp out after seeing posts about water in the trunk. Fuse box looks good. Amp has slight corrosion on the outside but opened it up and was clean. Removed the grease. Well see if that changes anything. I never put it there. I didn't know if they came with that grease on there or not. Car stays under cover but it's South Florida so we do have alot of rain.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2023, 11:34 PM   #6
KeyWestCamaro

I have read the MRC is in the trunk but I can't find it to check. Found 1 place that showed it was by the amp but not in my car. Looking for it to eliminate that component.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:48 PM   #7
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Time to figure out what component is associated with all of the items (what do they have in common) and replace that component. Likely the BCM.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:26 AM   #8
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
Not to be a smart Alec or anything but since it’s under warranty why not take it to a dealer and let them fix it?? Electric problems are the worst!
I think the new battery he bought was "under warranty", not the car. The car is a 2017 so unless he has 3rd party coverage the B2B ran out in 2020. This isn't PTW, but that's likely expired as well.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:31 AM   #9
mrwonderful

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
Not to be a smart Alec or anything but since it’s under warranty why not take it to a dealer and let them fix it?? Electric problems are the worst!

I'm sure he meant the battery is under warranty, doubt the vehicle would still have any type of dealership warranty.
mrwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:42 AM   #10
Bigredwing

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS
Have you connected a DC Amp Meter in line with the battery to see what the actual current draw on the battery at rest is? After turning the key off it should be in the milliamp range (.00x) after a few seconds. Anything higher (like .5 amps) is too high. Dialectric grease or No-Ox-ID grease on connectors is not a big deal and may help. You can try removing fuses to see if the Amp reading drops.

I had an issue with my Granddaughters 2004 Silverado and could not find the issue until I did a Google search. In her case it was a bad instrument panel circuit board. Seems the solder GM was using on the circuit board components was cracking and the resistors were opening at the contact points. I was able to resolder them, and it fixed the battery drain problem. Hopefully your problem will be easier to solve but electrical gremlins are the worst.
Bigredwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:32 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
Time to figure out what component is associated with all of the items (what do they have in common) and replace that component. Likely the BCM.
I agree with this.
Based on photos others have posted, it does not appear you have corrosion related to water in the trunk, which is a real disaster.
I do like the idea of measuring the amp draw, but this will require putting a meter in series between the battery and the car as it is DC.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 02:20 PM   #12
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyink1 View Post
Dielectric grease maybe? Not sure why the amp should need it, shouldn't be water getting there..
Dielectric grease definitely. Somebody knew there was a water issue somewhere, although there is no definite corrosion visible. I've not seen any dielectric from the factory on my car. So, you bought it from a private party or a dealer 2 years ago? I'm betting a dealer..
A little more detective work will turn up the corroded ground or component. And perhaps a little better car cover in the future? I expect your climate is one of the best around for rust!
Good luck!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote