Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-03-2024, 12:11 AM   #1
Ryfly05

Drives: 22 2SS 1LE
Any LEGO fans here? Custom 6th gen design?

So I realize this is probably a longshot, but I've recently gotten pretty into building the nicer lego sets made for adults. The 1:8 scale Lamborghini Sian is an amazing model with tons of detail and functionality. I honestly had no idea Legos could be so detailed and have so many functioning parts before building it. So now I'm hooked.

So here's where the longshot comes in. It would be amazing to build a super detailed 1:8 scale Camaro, but I have neither the time, patience, skill, or smarts to build one on my own. The only official 6th gen camaro lego set is VERY basic, small, and mostly a kids toy. There is a guy on instagram, his handle is @lukasrsdesign that designs and builds highly detailed 1:8 scale lego models. His work is very high quality.

I contacted Lukas about designing a 6th gen Camaro. He charges 4000 euros (about $4500) to do custom designs which take at a minimum 6 months to design. I figure if we can get 15 guys interested in this, that's 300 bucks a piece. Then once the design is compete, you can buy the instructions and parts to build the model for around $700 for genuine lego parts, or less than half for knock off parts. So all in, we would be out around $1k bucks (or less for knockoff parts) which is a lot of money, but anyone who has built a few of the nicer lego sets has probably already spent that much.

I figure if there's enough interest, I could ask him to start a kickstarter campaign, that way if the goal isn't reached, no one is charged.

438 whp 411 wtq -SAE- pump gas on mustang dyno.
Ryfly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:16 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I would search around the lego sites first. probably some designs out there already.
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-151...22-rc/#details
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:27 AM   #3
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Funny, because depending on how old one is, today's "Lego" doesn't seem to be like the Lego of yesteryear.

Yep, go ahead and cue "get off my lawn" theme right now... :-)

There was a time when Lego came in some fairly basic sizes, shapes and colors, with perhaps a handful of use-specific pieces from some of the particular kits (tire sets, windshields, jet engine, hinges, etc.) Even these kits were nowhere near as detailed as the ones today, even the smaller ones.

If you wanted to make something really neat-o, with what you had, then given enough imagination, enough of the "right" pieces, and simply also the literal achievability of the intended item, you could probably do it. But you might be limited by what size you could make it, or the near-inability to fashion anything other than right-angle connections of the pieces, etc.

So, and naturally just IMO, even these incredibly detailed "models" are just that -- models. And while I suppose they are "cool", they don't look as good as would an actual plastic or die-cast *model*, AND the consumer didn't really "create" them, from scratch, from an idea; just "put them together", from instructions. For something that doesn't look as good as the real thing, I don't really get the allure.

I think I would much rather have what looks like a "real life" model of the car than a Lego version. And I certainly realize that that's just me!
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:41 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
For something that doesn't look as good as the real thing, I don't really get the allure.

I think I would much rather have what looks like a "real life" model of the car than a Lego version. And I certainly realize that that's just me!
I kinda get it.
My kids get me a lego set every couple of years. 2 years ago, the Saturn V. This year, the concorde. Both are nice examples of detailed lego models, but still lego, and had me thinking how much nicer a styrene kit would be.
Also, a model is always a model. I got about 100 airplane kits boxed in the basement, most about 30 years old now, waiting for that day I have more time. problem is most of the stuff I was dying to build has now been replaced by newer more detailed molds. And what used to be $20 kits are now $80. I think my retirement will be cheaper if I stick to drinking and over-eating.

I don't like to bash lego too much because I think it stimulates the brain in better ways than, say, tiktok or other crap (my opinion).

Last edited by ctrlz; 01-03-2024 at 08:53 AM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:53 AM   #5
Ryfly05

I get what you guys are saying. The thing that IMO makes lego better than any plastic or die cast model is the functionality. You don't get a working 8 speed (or any other speed) transmission with paddle shifters in die cast or plastic. The engine in lego cars has a crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistons, and spins at different speeds depending on what gear you're in. Lego cars have real diffentials. Until you build one of the nice larger 1:8 scale sets, it's hard to understand just how cool these things are.

Old 01-03-2024, 03:01 PM   #6
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Hmmm...I will admit that I had completely overlooked that aspect (functional diffs, gear sets, etc.)...
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:18 PM   #7
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
What..the..hell

The lady I work with just informed me today she got some Lego cars for Christmas. I thought of this thread this morning and asked "Does it have a functioning drivetrain?"
Sure does!
What a weird coincidence. I've never even heard of these type of Lego cars until this morning!
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:08 PM   #8
Ryfly05

I had no clue about these lego sets either until a couple months ago. A friend of mine is into Legos, and wife and I took a vacation to a city that happened to have a huge lego store. So we decided to go check it out. My friend is also into F1 and Lego makes a McLaren F1 set for 200 bucks, which I thought was crazy, but I bought it for him anyways since it was a perfect mesh of 2 hobbies.

Once he built it, and was telling me about how it works, and what it does, I was intrigued. So I figured if a $200 set is that cool, what must a $450 set be like? So I took the plunge and bought a $450 Lamborghini Sian set on sale for $360. Even my lego friend was surprised at how complex and functional the model was.

Here's some pics of the Lamborghini. These models are very complex but also very fun to build. Took me about 2 weeks to assemble in my free time. About 3700 pieces. The model cars in the background of one of the pics are 1:24 scale for some comparison!

Call me crazy, but I would definitely pay 1000 bucks to build a 1:8 scale Camaro with this kind of functionality.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2024, 12:21 AM   #9
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Huge Lego fan here, my family has over 300 sets on display throughout our home. Rivendell is our largest set single set, currently, but we also have a 4'x8' 3-tier city layout in our living room with a variety of sets displayed in almost every room. Our 42000 F1 car is a really awesome scale, but our 42043 MB AROCS is the most complex Technics set we currently have, but the 42042 Crawler Crane is really neat too.

$1k is not a reasonable price. $0.11 per piece is the average cost for a lego set (it drops to $0.10 after 80,000 pieces and 300+ sets). The cost per piece swing is mostly driven by licensing.

If you want a 6th Gen Camaro, don't hassle with Lego, just use pieces from an copycat seller. But those costs should be a fraction of what licensed Lego sells for.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 06:19 AM   #10
TorontoLT1

Drives: 2020 LT1 Camaro
Lego

New Lego...
Attached Images

TorontoLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:52 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have a Lego 1:8 '69 Camaro that I've been building with my granddaughter. It wouldn't take a lot of tweaking to make it look more 6th Gen, as it is pretty blocky.

Personally, I think Legos are better suited for slab shaped cars like Lambos or insect-like cars like F-1 or LMPGT.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote