Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 05-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
evan
ready...

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Smile burnout in the box. am I safe?

Got my new nt555r's in this week 305/45/18. I plan on trying a run at the strip when I get a weekend off. Currently running a completely stock drivetrain with my s/c'd LS3. For actual launch I def will NOT dump the clutch. I'm thinking a 2500 takeoff w/ moderate feathering.
As for the waterbox burnout, this scares me. I know the box is specifically for you to warm up the tires with less chance to grenade your drivetrain, but i'm still a little iffy on it.

Anyone had any joy with dumping the clutch in the box w/o decimating your stock components?

Thanks!
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
SGOS252382

What you should do is back into the water box. Then pull forward a little bit and get out of the water box. Then pop the clutch (not too high rpm) to get the rear wheels spinning while holding the car in place with the brake.

Spinning wet tires (burn out) is usually not associated with braking parts.

Braking parts is more associated with dropping the clutch (high rpm) when launching off the line with sticky tires that hook up (sticky track).
When sticky tires hook up at high rpm things can brake (axles, etc).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
evan
ready...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Shane View Post
I race an A6 now but I raced 4 speeds and M6's for years. You don't have to "dump" the clutch in the water box. You will let out a little faster than normal but these cars don't need much to get the tires spinning. Especially when they are wet. Just make sure you roll completely through the water box before you start your burnout. I have seen a lot of racers do their burnout in the box and then roll right up and stage with wet tires. DONT FORGET ABOUT TRACTION CONTROL.... lol Turn it off.

I have also seen many standard transmission drivers roll through the box, light'em up and roll out instead of bringing the car to a complete stop and letting the tires heat up. Then watch them spin the entire 60 foot. You being S/C'd, you will definitely need to heat'em up.

Once your tires are wet (and you are out of the water box) run your RPM's up to about 2000 or so and let the clutch out fast but no need to dump it. She will break loose instantly and thats when you step on the brakes and bring her to a stop without stalling it. If you smash the brake hard enough, it will stop. Tach it up to about 5K and hold it there. You dont need to rev it any higher than that. Nothing fancy... no need to feather the gas and put unwanted stress on your car. Just do a boring burnout. Look in your side mirors... once you see smoke hold it for at least 5 more seconds and then let off the brake. Dont let off the gas yet. Let it move forward 10 or 15 feet then back off the gas and push in the clutch at the same time.

If you trailer your car like me, you will need to spend a good 8 to 10 seconds heating them up the first time. After that you should be able to get away with a 5 second burnout for your other runs as long as they aren't an hour apart. I run nt555's and M/T and my nt's seem to need a little more heat to get them to stick.

A lot of guys get into a hurry doing their burnout and staging the car.... this makes for mistakes. Hope this helps... and have fun!! Don't for get to share your results.

Definitely appreciate the advice, I would've done the burnout in the box until you told me this, lol. I will share vids/pics and results as soon as I get a chance to hit the strip Thanks again!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Shane View Post
I race an A6 now but I raced 4 speeds and M6's for years. You don't have to "dump" the clutch in the water box. You will let out a little faster than normal but these cars don't need much to get the tires spinning. Especially when they are wet. Just make sure you roll completely through the water box before you start your burnout. I have seen a lot of racers do their burnout in the box and then roll right up and stage with wet tires. DONT FORGET ABOUT TRACTION CONTROL.... lol Turn it off.

I have also seen many standard transmission drivers roll through the box, light'em up and roll out instead of bringing the car to a complete stop and letting the tires heat up. Then watch them spin the entire 60 foot. You being S/C'd, you will definitely need to heat'em up.

Once your tires are wet (and you are out of the water box) run your RPM's up to about 2000 or so and let the clutch out fast but no need to dumwill break loose instantly and thats when you step on the brakes and bring her to a stop without stalling it. If you smash the brake hard enough, it will stop. Tach it up to about 5K and hold it there. You dont need to rev it any higher than that. Nothing fancy... no need to feather the gas and put unwanted stress on your car. Just do a boring burnout. Look in your side mirors... once you see smoke hold it for at least 5 more seconds and then let off the brake. Dont let off the gas yet. Let it move forward 10 or 15 feet then back off the gas and push in the clutch at the same time.

If you trailer your car like me, you will need to spend a good 8 to 10 heating them up the first time. After that you should be able to get away with a 5 second burnout for your other runs as long as they aren't an hour apart. I run nt555's and M/T and my nt's seem to need a little more heat to get them to stick.

A lot of guys get into a hurry doing their burnout and staging the car.... this makes for mistakes. Hope this helps... and have fun!! Don't for get to share your results.
What about the gear? Do I do the burnout in 1st gear or second.I also have the NT555
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Entire burnout is in second gear Tom. You just pull thru and the water box guy will give you the closed fist sign for you to stop. Then when he gives you the signal just let out on the clutch and start giving it gas. I usually watch in my mirrors and when I see the smoke coming over the fenders know that I got em warm. Work it up to around 4500 rpms while heating them up. Then release the brakes and roll out of the burnout hot and let it launch its way up to the lights. Try and get situated while they are hot so they melt into the starting spot. Totally easy and fun to do. Now you can cuss at the jerks with street tires that keep dragging all the water onto the track and into the starting box. You can always tell by the sound of the street tires and by the track workers bitching about the idiots that dont know any better than to keep the water off the track. Oh if you are behind one of the idiots dont waste the burnout cause they will be out with the mops cleaning up after them anyway.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
2nd gear.. I got to try that..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
2nd gear.. I got to try that..
Yeah, you wont get em going fast enough in first and the gear is way to short.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Yeah, you wont get em going fast enough in first and the gear is way to short.
Especially with my 4.10s..
might be why guy told me burn them for about 5 1000 counts but mine doesnt make as much smoke as his does..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
evan
ready...

im still driving with street tires on the front, so I obv will drive around the box then back into it. Def gonna use the mirrors so I know when I'm in the box :]
Old 05-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
I believe if your still using street tires that a burnout is useless. Real quick spin to clean the tires off but the full burnout's not going to get you anything but a trip to the tire store faster.
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote