Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-12-2024, 10:14 PM   #1
TheBrightSide

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS coupe (MT)
No way to tune around O2 sensor CEL’s?

Due to the recent emissions lockout, I was only knowledgeable of the fact that only standalone ECU tuning was the only other way around O2 CEL’s. And since most tuners and handheld (flash) tuners don’t offer any way to disable CEL’s and emissions-related parameters, am I stuck with my car in a “limp mode”, if I am running something like a primary cat delete, or long tube headers without cats or the secondary/downstream O2 sensors plugged in AND rigged up somehow (aside from running cats)?

I guess my only options right now, are to either run shorty headers (CARB legal) and install Solo high flow cats or stick to a 2nd cat delete; neither of these have triggered any O2 CEL’s in the past, at least for me anyways. I’m planning to run some high flow cats with my long tubes, which have O2 sensors; and I’m planning to run the downstream O2’s AFTER the cats, which should theoretically keep the O2 CEL’s off and not triggered.

I guess I could also “trick” the O2 sensors with some “simulators”, if needed, but I’m trying to currently run some high flow cats anyways. This was just in the case that I needed to have my car/engine tuned, and couldn’t be under the assumption that I had no cats (catless) or was running non-emissions level cats (sub-200 count cell high flow cats).

Anyone else have anything else to teach and/or inform me? I’ve also used old handheld tuners, but if anything, those lacked some things the new flash tuners adjusted; not to mention those also had NO way of tampering with the O2 CEL’s, so that wasn’t a viable option either….
TheBrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:16 AM   #2
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
HP Tuners is your answer. Those codes can be disabled by it.

It can disable emission related codes, and be used to optimize performance by a skilled individual.

Last edited by SlowLS1; 02-13-2024 at 05:58 AM.
SlowLS1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:20 AM   #3
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
My CEL from my lack of cats / o2s was dealt with my tuning by Trifecta. Zero issues since the tune and I pass inspection every year in NY

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:57 AM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post

It can disable emission related codes, and be used to optimize performance by a skilled individual.
Will the newest versions of HPT disable the 2nd o2 sensor DTCs? I know that there are some emission related things that can't be turned off now, so I haven't updated in a couple of years to figure out the exact changes.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:23 AM   #5
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Will the newest versions of HPT disable the 2nd o2 sensor DTCs? I know that there are some emission related things that can't be turned off now, so I haven't updated in a couple of years to figure out the exact changes.
You can, but have to complete the compliance class first. It's available on their site, and can be found under Help/Parameter Access in the latest version.

I still use the old MPVI2 and a pretty old software version. Pretty sure this wasn't a thing then...
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2024, 10:08 AM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post

He's in California and disabling the codes there is a big no-no and will result in a failed inspection because they check for disabled codes.

Hopefully someone here who lives in California can chime in and give some direction on what they can and can't do.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 01:12 PM   #7
TheBrightSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
He's in California and disabling the codes there is a big no-no and will result in a failed inspection because they check for disabled codes.

Hopefully someone here who lives in California can chime in and give some direction on what they can and can't do.
I’m aware…. People do still use flash tuning software for offroad purposes only, so, we’ll keep it at that.

Last edited by TheBrightSide; 02-13-2024 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Spacing
Old 02-13-2024, 01:44 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I’m aware…. People do still use flash tuning software for offroad purposes only, so, we’ll keep it at that.
I'm aware but that wouldn't pass inspections which is what I'm assuming you are actually inquiring about. A way to do it and still pass.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 02:35 PM   #9
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
What you're asking for and what you're looking for are two completely different things. The rear O2 sensors can be tuned out, but they cannot be deleted from the factory programming. At the end of the day, if you're dead set on staying in California, the best you can do is shorty headers and high flow cats. Best of luck in your quest!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 02:58 PM   #10
TheBrightSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I'm aware but that wouldn't pass inspections which is what I'm assuming you are actually inquiring about. A way to do it and still pass.
Nah, I have some factory exhaust manifolds (two-piece design) to throw back on when it comes time for emissions/smog testing; bi-annual process to be able to register the car in state. I think as long as I haven’t had a CEL reset right away, it should take like 50-100+ miles of driving to properly cycle the normal emissions parameters? I know there’s EVAP and all these other things, but I’ve never failed so I think I should be fine.

I also have a spare stock set of L99 downpipes (second part of the factory exhaust manifolds/headers), but they do have a 2nd cat delete, with the cat basically gutted. No, it doesn’t throw any O2 CEL’s ofc, but I was wondering if anyone else knows if somehow I could fail otherwise, besides emissions parameters via the OBDII/ECU emission system checks? CA hasn’t used sniffers in almost over 2 decades I believe…

Last edited by TheBrightSide; 02-13-2024 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Missing info
Old 02-13-2024, 04:01 PM   #11
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I didn't know they disabled the o2 on hp tuners, learn somethin new everday.
Yes they plug in and fail if there is any slightest change from stock tune, so as you might know no such thing as disable and pass. If you reflash your tune back and forth by the time you get enough smog things to say ready it will say cats fail if you don't have them. IDK if your halfcat setup will be good enough if you flash back, the second question how do you not get a cel if you go back to low perf cats will be trial and error.

Last edited by silversleeper; 02-13-2024 at 04:14 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:17 PM   #12
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Wow. I had no idea this was a thing now. I knew EPA was going balls deep on some big tuners, especially the diesel guys, but this comes as a surprise.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emissions, oxygen, sensor, tuner, tuning