Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Supercharger with a stock drive train?

I am having a Magnacharger installed on my LS3 next week. I will not race this car, but I will "jump on it" from time to time, but mostly from a roll. I will beat it up for the first couple of test drives, but in the long run I won't be doing many 4000 rpm launches, burn outs, or full throttle power shifts.

Therefore, I have no plans to upgrade any power train components, i.e., clutch, axles, suspension, or tires. It is my understanding that the OEM clutch is probably the weakest link in this drive train and I will drive it accordingly.

If you are supercharged and running a stock drive train, what were your experiences? Any wheel hop and under what conditions. Did you break anything? Is it a given that I am going to break something? What power train upgrades have you done?

Alfie

Last edited by alfie43; 05-10-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
You'll be fine. Don't sweat it. My car is 100 percent stock drivetrain and I beat the snot out of it and so far do gd. Gd luck and enjoy your car!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I have a procharger with an otherwise stock powertrain. 3300 miles. Nothing broken. I don't abuse it, but I do get on it from time to time, and like the twisties here and there. It's not a top mount so I don't know if a maggie would produce wheel hop, but I haven't gotten any, although I haven't launched the car all that hard. My car just likes to get up and go though. Numbers are above my avatar.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Dosent sound like you will be doing much to even use the new poines your buying...At least burn the rubber of the rims!!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Your axle WILL break with a sixspeed if you get on the car much at all.Its not a matter of if but when...Good luck and enjoy your car and be safe,if you need anything give us a call....
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
Becca
Frog

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Well my car is at 550 rwhp and 525lb/torque with stock drive train. We do drag race the car clutch stuck a few times, but it has done that few times before sc everything seems to be fine now but I am getting myself prepaired to need a clutch or anything else if and when they fail. Guess I got to pay to play.

IYAAYAS
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I tore up my axles in my 03 cobra but i was putting down way over 600rwhp and I hit a 100shot on sticky drag radials... i hope GM engineering isnt that pathetic that 550bhp tears them up.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Sonny, my l99 is at 550/550. I make 1.6 60' launches at the track on drag radials every other week. Every drivetrain component I have including the trans came with the car from gm, I think that you'll be fine .
Old 05-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Supercharged
Old 05-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Yes, I have a stock drive line, clutch, axles, tranny, drive shaft, etc and I'm supercharged.

50 plus passes on the 1320, 2 road corse events, more than a few 5K clutch dumps and running strong! 11.5K on the clock and about to install my third set of rear tires!

Clutch sticks on the drag strip from time to time (looking to replace with a stronger clamping/holding one)...on the street though, not a problem but I dont' act like a crazy man on the street!

Yes...I know...my axles will break! Ok...so they do, I buy new ones. My point is I wouldn't say "WILL BREAK" if you have a M6! Can, could, might...sure.

EDITED: Yeah...because I'm sure I just put the curse on myself with this post...so editing to say I understand my axles will break later today!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
This conversation below belongs in another thread.

Here's the bottom line. Hendrix makes a Fabulous product that is damn near bullet proof.

However,

To the OP,

In my opinion, based of of the numerous blown cars we have here and the description of how you drive your car, You shouldn't have any problems. Unless, you make a decision to really push the car regularly then I'd invest in drive train components.

But there is a certain red and black camaro (pedders) here that is making similar power the has been handed off to some of the best road couse drivers to absolutely beat on in stock drive train and it has held up. I'm not sure if the drive train is stock anymore but it was when I spoke to Pete last.

So, here is something to consider. If you can't afford to have an axle break and have your car down for a period of time while you wait for the repair, buy some protection in the form of products like Hendrix offers.

Otherwise, drive it worry free and enjoy the hell out of it. IF something breaks then Call Hendrix and I'm sure they will take great care of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
Your axle WILL break with a sixspeed if you get on the car much at all.Its not a matter of if but when...Good luck and enjoy your car and be safe,if you need anything give us a call....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilydean View Post
Why are you saying that? Details please.

Dean
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
What do you think about the axles holding up on an L99 with around 450-530 rwhp if you wanted to push the car a little bit? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
With the auto you get alot of cusion for the drive train,it all depends on your driving style but you will be less apt to break parts than the six speed for sure.At 450 you should be ok,once your over 500 its a guessing game.
Quote:
You might want to look at the GTO that will change your mind.
Quote:
I also sell cams,clutchs,blowers,dragwheels,9 inch irs kitt,sparkplug wires,speaker enclousures,chassis parts,etc,etc.... I sell axles ,yes every day to customers that have to replace the broke axles that left them stranded.It is great that a couple of guys are running good and havnt broke,yet,but for every one guy that hasnt broke yet,ill show you plenty that have.....Im here to provide a service for hot roders like myself,if you dont need my service great,if you do ill be glad to help....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
What kills me is the cost of Axles. Still cannot believe that they cost $1999. (From any vendor even on discount I have not seen them under 1500.) I have built numerous cars and built whole complete live axle rear ends with a new center section for that price. I know they have CV joints but that price is insane.

When you can sell them for under a grand.... then we are talking. (Find it funny the 1000 hp G8 ones are only $1099 considering they are based on the same platform.)

Hoping the new 2011 Mustang will cool down the insane pricing on Mods... my car needs some new toys.
Quote:
Ill play along,,the g8s are $1099 EACH not a pair,which we have lowered all we could to $1899 a set....You are comparing apples to oranges, baseing the price on a live axle,if you look at the parts our axles contain you will see a TON of machine work,on machines that can cost a half a million dollars or more! We make every effert to keep our price in line,and as you noticed you dont see many options in the cv market because its a huge investment and very slim profits.I hope this helps you understand a little more and see that we are not selling $1000 axles at $1899,we are providing a much needed part at a fair price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
OK... Two things.

1) How about a more affordable axle for those looking for axles to replace stock axles but are not running 1000 HP with slicks. Something rated for 600-700 HP and priced in that 500 - 600 dollar price range per axle. (1000-1200 per set) That would be the horsepower most mildly built Camaros are making plus about 20%.

2) How are others producing axles for many other brands at much lower pricing. (Not even at the 1000-1200 per set.) Assuming cheaper materials would lower cost some. Time to machine and labor cost should be about the same.

A few examples after a quick google search.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...s/Level_2/5510

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...in/Axles//8190

http://www.cimotorsports.net/motor-s...grade-evo.html

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...ries_Swap/9626

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...ries_Swap/8880

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...evel_2.9/10953

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...les/500HP/4329 <--- This one is made of 300M and is the most expensive at $1244.40 so more expensive than your set (assuming they are sold individually which the site does not make clear).... but read the description these are extreme duty parts... there are lower cost alternatives that are better than stock.

I am not trying to argue about this but the cost Vs other cars even those with IRS seems high. For most 1000 HP parts are not needed and maybe a cheaper better than stock part is what is needed. Just a thought.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

I haven't broken anything yet but I fully expect to. You can't beat something and expect that it will live forever. At that time I'll be happy to upgrade. But I would think that if I didn't drag the car the stock components would last forever.Even at 550 rwhp/tq.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Sonny, my l99 is at 550/550. I make 1.6 60' launches at the track on drag radials every other week. Every drivetrain component I have including the trans came with the car from gm, I think that you'll be fine .
Thanks for the info, Supercharged SS. That's really good to know.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Yes, I have a stock drive line, clutch, axles, tranny, drive shaft, etc and I'm supercharged.

50 plus passes on the 1320, 2 road corse events, more than a few 5K clutch dumps and running strong! 11.5K on the clock and about to install my third set of rear tires!

Clutch sticks on the drag strip from time to time (looking to replace with a stronger clamping/holding one)...on the street though, not a problem but I dont' act like a crazy man on the street!

Yes...I know...my axles will break! Ok...so they do, I buy new ones. My point is I wouldn't say "WILL BREAK" if you have a M6! Can, could, might...sure.

EDITED: Yeah...because I'm sure I just put the curse on myself with this post...so editing to say I understand my axles will break later today!
I hope not!!! i have noticed alot of customers that have broke there axles with relativly low power ,well 500 isnt really low,have already replaced the clutch,maybe the stock clutch is providing enuff slipp that its helping the drivetrain take the beating,just a thought.

Last edited by Hendrix-Engineering; 05-07-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: m
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote