Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Bought GMPP for peace of mind, now service dept wants me to give ok on $1400 labor

First off, sorry for the wrong subforum, just want more exposure/help/opinions on this.

Ok so I got a Check Engine Light and I went to the dealership to get it checked out.

I have GMPP coverage for another 30 some thousand miles. I have 68k miles but my car is over 6 years old so original powertrain warranty is not in effect.

I don't really understand all this and need help from you all so I'm just gonna say what they told me: CEL code is P008. They want to open up the oil pan to check the reluctor to see if it's slipped. If it has, they are going to change the reluctor and crankshaft and timing belt. They will also see if the timing chain is loose (ie slack in it) which can cause damage to the reluctor and other parts of the engine.

They have said that they can't start work without the ok on 12 hours of labor which is $1400.

Is this not covered by GMPP?? What should I do?

Mods: Air intake and catch can. Everything else is cosmetic. Camaro is a 2010 V6.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 03-09-2015 at 04:58 PM.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Do they know you have GMPP? Have you had them check to see if it is covered under GMPP? My old dealership would always try to give me the bill unless I asked them to check to see if it was covered or not first. That is why they are my "old" dealership.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Man , I'd call GM, don't take the Dealer's word on it. There's dealerships on this site that help us out all the time, search for one & see if they can help you out. I wish you luck.
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I'd think this would be covered under powertrain warranty also depending on mileage.

I don't think those mods should cause any warranty problems.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCamOwner View Post
Do they know you have GMPP? Have you had them check to see if it is covered under GMPP? My old dealership would always try to give me the bill unless I asked them to check to see if it was covered or not first. That is why they are my "old" dealership.
They know. I asked them to check it if is covered and they are going to let me know for certain soon.

First time going to a dealership in South Florida. Unfortunately I had to leave my old favorite one that treated me well when I moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakmaker View Post
Man , I'd call GM, don't take the Dealer's word on it. There's dealerships on this site that help us out all the time, search for one & see if they can help you out. I wish you luck.
What number would I call?

Thanks for the help

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
I'd think this would be covered under powertrain warranty also depending on mileage.

I don't think those mods should cause any warranty problems.
68k miles so still under powertrain warranty. I just don't get why if it's covered, I have to give the ok on $1400 of labor??

Old 03-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
maddoggyusa

I'd just call them back and say HEY, this should be covered by Powertrain or my GMPP right? Hand them your GMPP card... it's in the system anyhow by VIN.

when you say GMPP, do you mean Major Guard?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I would have assumed that would be covered under the GMPP warranty. The code that you got, is the indication of stretched chains. If that is the case, the only repair I know of is to actually replace them which would easily be 1400 dollars if you are not under warranty.

Maybe there is some information in this thread that can help you out.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262443

Edit: Just saw that you still have factory warranty, you definitely should not be paying for this. This is a known issue with the 3.6L LLT and there has even been a extension of warranty on other cars equipped with the LLT motor which can be found here.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289404
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #9
maddoggyusa

can you can also get that code if the oil is low?

If the LLT is like the LY7, the engine uses oil pressure to tension the timing chain. if it gets low, you can get that code.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Hey guys, the dealership called to say that this work will now be under warranty so I'm not paying anything and they are giving me a rental car as well!

There was a little craziness in the morning but now everything hopefully is sorting itself out. Thank you everyone for the input!

Old 03-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #11
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Hey guys, the dealership called to say that this work will now be under warranty so I'm not paying anything and they are giving me a rental car as well!

There was a little craziness in the morning but now everything hopefully is sorting itself out. Thank you everyone for the input!
Great, they made you go through that whole ordeal and to top it off theyre going to throw some swirls in the paint! Happy happy joy joy.

Then they'll make you pay for that.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #12
maddoggyusa

paint swirls cost extra
Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #13
Mechman108

Drives: '12 Camaro LS M6, '16 Lexus IS200T
Which south Florida dealership did you end up in?
Mechman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #14
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Every time I've gone in for warranty work, I get read the riot act. "We won't know this is covered by warranty until our tech is able to diagnose the issue" and I have to sign the repair order which states I'm liable for the repair charges/diagnostic fees if it comes back not covered by warranty. Really obvious stuff, too.

Oh well, I hope you get this worked out!
Evergreen6 is online now   Reply With Quote