Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
TotalEntropy

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 2SS M6
Oil change after winter storage?

Hi all,

I just went through my first winter with my Camaro and had a quick question.

I changed my oil before putting it in storage for the winter. Is there any reason to change it again, 5 months later, having not driven it at all in between?

Thanks!
TotalEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I change mine once a year usually may/June and have had the oil analyzed the last 2 yrs. Oil has held up fine they even suggested going to longer intervals (oil is cheap so I will change as I see fit)

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:53 AM   #3
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalEntropy View Post
Hi all,

I just went through my first winter with my Camaro and had a quick question.

I changed my oil before putting it in storage for the winter. Is there any reason to change it again, 5 months later, having not driven it at all in between?

Thanks!

Nope. You'll be fine.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:31 AM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
No. And you did the right thing to change the oil before, not after storage.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I do the same thing. I change the oil in November and don't drive it till about April.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
TotalEntropy

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 2SS M6
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it!
TotalEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
It depends. So far those posting have changed before storage, but here's an alternative view... Depending on the environment, a car sitting all winter is going to get some condensation, which contaminates the oil. Can it get burned off in the spring once you get the engine to operating temperature and drive it? Possibly. But why take that chance when the cost of fresh oil and a new filter is so low? I drive less than 1,000 miles per year, so I change the oil each spring before taking my car out of storage and it's good until next spring.

To each his own!
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
It depends. So far those posting have changed before storage, but here's an alternative view... Depending on the environment, a car sitting all winter is going to get some condensation, which contaminates the oil. Can it get burned off in the spring once you get the engine to operating temperature and drive it? Possibly. But why take that chance when the cost of fresh oil and a new filter is so low? I drive less than 1,000 miles per year, so I change the oil each spring before taking my car out of storage and it's good until next spring.

To each his own!

Thats true, and thats the reason many choose to change the oil both before and after storage.... but if you're only doing it one or the other, it really ought to be before IMO. I'd say oil gets more contaminates from driving than it does sitting in the oilpan over the winter.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
Thats true, and thats the reason many choose to change the oil both before and after storage.... but if you're only doing it one or the other, it really ought to be before IMO. I'd say oil gets more contaminates from driving than it does sitting in the oilpan over the winter.
You are correct, totally agree that twice a year is best. But with the low annual miles I drive there is essentially no contamination from driving. With greater miles I would recommend before and after storage.
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
You are correct, totally agree that twice a year is best. But with the low annual miles I drive there is essentially no contamination from driving. With greater miles I would recommend before and after storage.

yeah at 1000 miles, the oil is basically new either way. We put about 4500 on ours last year and changed it just before putting it away for the winter. I thought about changing it again this spring but decided not to. Modern synthetic oil is light years ahead of the ol 3 months or 3000 mile days.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #11
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:

To each his own!

I did not and have the oil analysis to back up that it's fine with it sitting during the winter.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #12
SilverIceman

Drives: Camaro SS SIM
Don't see a need to change synthetic because of winter storage. Shouldn't lose any properties just sitting there all winter.

Change mine once a year, usually before racing it. Would change more if I was putting more than 3,000 a year on it.

SilverIceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:51 AM   #13
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
i usually do mine 2x a year. spring and fall. spring is usually within a month of me pulling it out, fall is because i reached my "due" mark. i average 7500-9000 miles during the summer on mine.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #14
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if your going to change the oil befor and after why put new oil in it. its just going to sit in the aluminum oil pan all winter. might as well just drain it and not put new in until spring. Put a big sign on your steering wheel NO OIL
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote