Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
ScottyB911

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
UNREAL!...Problem with dealership and LPO parts/wheels

Dec 15th...After confirming with GM customer service and with another sales manager that parts and wheels removed for LPO options are to remain with the car I sent the dealership an email requesting the OEM parts and wheels that were shipped with the car.

Dec 16th...The general manager agreed that I was correct but said they no longer had the parts or wheels. He offered me $500 as compensation for the parts and set he would send me a set of wheels.

Dec 23rd...Received both the check for $500 and the wheels...however the wheels were damaged. There were gouges along the outer edge like they were done by a tire machine. I shipped the wheels back to the dealership and spoke to the general manager about what to do next. I proposed as a solution that if he would reimburse me for the cost of a set of replica wheels and sensors I would be happy with that as compensation. (Which is less than half of what the OEM wheels cost). He said he would clear it with

Jan 2...Received a voicemail from GM customer service stating they spoke to the general manager who confirmed that he would be sending out the reimbursement check that week.

Jan 4...Spoke to general manager who said he was sending a check for $1100 as we agreed and just needed the owner to sign off on it.

Jan 9...Called to follow up with general manager and to discuss damage discovered on one of the LPO wheels. Was told he no longer worked there. Was put in contact with the sales manager who asked me to send him all my documentation.

Jan 10...Sales manager said they would be sending me a check for $1100 as a "good will" gesture along with a "release". Told him that was fine but there was still the issue of the damaged LPO wheel and that I wanted a replacement sent. Said that I would eat the cost of mounting and balancing and send them back the damaged wheel. Was told he needed approval and would get back to me.

Jan 11...Received a call from the sales manager saying he called and spoke to the regional manager for GM. He the the regional manager said that parts and wheels replaced with LPO parts did NOT go to the customer but instead went into a "re-use" program. He said since that was the case they would not be doing anything more for me and the $500 I received could be used to replace the damaged black wheel.

Called GM customer service who said that if that's what the district manager said them GM had effectively "ruled" on the issue and they would do nothing more for me.

Explained that the LPO parts/wheels on the window sticker were the same items in their accessory catalog and I was charged the same amount...and there is no requirement to send OEM parts back to GM after replacing them with accessories.

Also explained that the build sheet and window sticker show both sets of wheels which means they were part of the car "as a whole" and were part of the price...and hence I paid for both (as well as all the other OEM part that were removed.

Customer service rep said she "completely understood" but nevertheless they were done with the issue and would do nothing more for me because of what the district manager said to the dealership and because they sent me a check for $500 as a "good will gesture" for all the trouble. I asked for a copy of GM's "official" policy in writing regarding LPO parts which I probably won't get...at this point I'm not sure what to do.

If we don't receive the part listed on the window sticker technically that is fraud unless we're asked to sign a waiver or somehow acknowledge that we know the parts have been removed...

Anyone else go through this and how did you handle it? Not sure who I need to approach now to deal with this.

Scotty B
ScottyB911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
stook2001

Drives: 99 M3, 04 STi, 16 2SS
I'm not sure what your next step should be, perhaps others will have ideas. However, I just wanted to say that I feel for you on this. I had some similar uncertainty about the very same thing when I was shopping for my 2SS. One dealership told me that I would be getting both the LPO wheels and the normal stock wheels (I didn't really want both and just wanted to cancel out the LPO wheels but since they were on the sticker that was supposedly not possible).

Then I had a 2nd dealer that had a car with LPO wheels but the originals were not included. Based upon the input from the first dealer I called them out on it and they claimed that they should not be included.

Then the dealer that I actually bought my car from originally tried charging me for LPO wheels even though they werent on the car but they were on the sticker. The sales manager was able to modify the build of the car somehow to correct the issue, which got me wondering why I couldn't get rid of the LPO wheels on the first car I found.

I don't have a lot of experience with these LPO items but my view is that the process is completely nuts. There doesnt seem to be any consistency. I think part of the issue has to do with whether the dealer ordered the car with the LPO items chosen for the build vs. whether they are just dealer installed accessories after the build has been defined on their dealer order. In my view, dealers should be ordering cars built with normal "real" factory options and let the customer choose at the time they purchase which dealer install options they want.

Anyway, sorry for your trouble. I don't get it either and I wish I could tell you how to go about escalating the issue. Obviously, there is your attorney general, a small claims lawsuit, the BBB, local media, etc. Not sure how effective they will be or whether it is really worth the trouble. There also might be more effective options via GM or the dealer.
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Ole Rusty

Drives: 2010 Nissan 370Z 'Vert
Wow, what a pain. Sounds like you've done a good job of documenting the problem. I would write a professional letter to both the dealership and customer service stating (in unemotional terms) that you aren't asking for anything you did not pay for. You should explain that you enjoy your Camaro and the relationship you've had previously with GM, but that this unethical treatment is rapidly changing your feelings. Also, you can explain the power of customers, especially when they are correct and have access to the internet/social forums which influence their potential customers.
Not only would I not drop this, I would push it even harder to demand that you get EXACTLY what they owe you, but that you are compensated in some way for the run around and waste of your time and effort.
Point is, you paid for it and you deserve to get what you paid for.

I wish you the best and hope you get what you deserve.
Mike
Ole Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
red-richey

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I'd say hire an attorney if you really want to get your point across..... now with that said, it will cost you probably more than it's worth in the long run. Which GM knows this as well.
red-richey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
jeverton

Drives: 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-richey View Post
I'd say hire an attorney if you really want to get your point across..... now with that said, it will cost you probably more than it's worth in the long run. Which GM knows this as well.
OP: What a pain in the A**...

+1 on the attorney - even just getting someone to write a formal letter from a law firm and sending signature and receipt requested just maybe enough to call the dealership and GMs bluff. You are entitled to what you purchased plus some level of compensation for your troubles.
jeverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
ScottyB911

I work for a law firm and talked to one of our attorneys about this. Obviously going to court would cost more than what I'm trying to get. He suggests reaching out to local representatives in government and maybe the attorney general which I will do too.

I was just wondering if there was any solid documentation from GM on this or if anyone had to escalate things higher through GM. I've searched the forums and so far the closest I've come is an image of info on Corvette wheels which specifically states that LPO means the customer gets 2 complete sets.

Scotty B
Old 01-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
sicpuppy

Drives: White 2016 Camaro 2ss/blue stripes
Court or TV

You could take the dealership to small claims court and explain your problem to a judge. Or you could call your local news station and see if they would be interested in talking to the dealership on your behalf on camera. Sometimes the publicity gets results.
sicpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
ScottyB911

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicpuppy View Post
You could take the dealership to small claims court and explain your problem to a judge. Or you could call your local news station and see if they would be interested in talking to the dealership on your behalf on camera. Sometimes the publicity gets results.
Yeah...I'm kinda thinking that "shaming" them publicly will be the next step.

Scotty B