Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
Rear-ended (again)... Sigh.

Today marks 23 months of ownership exactly of my 2011 Camaro SS that I lovingly ordered back in April 2010.

6 weeks after taking delivery, I was rear ended by someone with no insurance. Hadn't even made my first payment. Well, got the Camaro all repaired and looking great, and then finally about 2 months ago, I got my deductible back from the other guys insurance.

This morning on my way to work, I am following a guy doing 30 in a 45 on his cell phone. Think to myself that he needs to put down the phone and think about driving. Anyways, I carry on, get in front of him and pull into the left lane of a 3 lane road to turn left onto a main freeway.

The guy on the phone is about 2 cars behind me at this point. I make my left turn onto Interstate 820, where there is a lot of construction at the moment. It's backed up. I slow down and come to a stop. The two cars behind me don't turn and carry straight on. The guy who was on his cell phone in his Jaguar makes the left turn and then just drives into me.

I get out of the car and look at him. He's still on the phone, and then he jams his foot on the accelerator? I'm like WTF? And slam both hands down on his hood to get his attention. He's all 'I know, I know, I did it, I did it'... I point to the construction zone and get him to pull in-between some cones.

I take all his details, he kept saying 'I know it's my fault, I know I did it' and then going on about his Jaguar not driving properly, and he pressed the accelerator and not the brake and things like that.

It's more frustrating than anything else. Not a lot of damage, looks like I should get away with no paint and just a new black diffuser that goes around the exhaust pipes. From what I can see, doesn't look like there's paint damage, but I'll let the body shop determine that.

I'm fine, and I'm not as livid as I was the first time this happened. The Camaro isn't new anymore, and it hasn't been since I was first rear ended. But it is MY Camaro, and I look after like it as best I can. The valance will get replaced and I'll move on, unless there is some other damage... not sure... I might be seeing things, but I am not sure if there is a crease in the rear drivers side fender.

This is where I wish that I could see about getting the SLP rear valance, but as I understand it, SLP don't sell that valance unless you have an SLP car. Shame, as that would look really nice on there!
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
First thing, Did you have your phone to record him saying 'Its his fault"? If not then it doesn't matter who's at fault. Second, you should always leave a way out or enough room to move up if a jerk wad decides to come up on you like that. That comes from riding motorcycles my whole life. Last but not least you should've rolled out of car screaming your neck and back hurt. You would be in a new car real soon.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
First thing, Did you have your phone to record him saying 'Its his fault"? If not then it doesn't matter who's at fault. Second, you should always leave a way out or enough room to move up if a jerk wad decides to come up on you like that. That comes from riding motorcycles my whole life. Last but not least you should've rolled out of car screaming your neck and back hurt. You would be in a new car real soon.
I don't believe Texas is a no-fault state. The tort feasor's insurance will take responsibility because it's a rear-end collision.

OP-- I'm sorry.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
joey0480

Drives: 2013 Evo X
Did you file a police report?

I would have stopped right there in the road, held up traffic, and waiting for the police to come and have him cited for careless driving and talking on the phone.

SOLD:Team L99
ADM Race Intake and Scoop
Vmax Ported TB
Borla-S axlebacks
ARH 1 7/8 Long Tubes and Hi Flo Cats
160 Thermostat
Pfdat front and rear sways and endlinks
Gold Pearl Powdercoated calipers
Gloss black CFD strut covers
GM gill stripes
******** 12" Stealth Kicker Package
joey0480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
1CamaroSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange
Man...that sucks! That is one of the reasons I moved out of Texas. I didn't live that far away from where you are.

If memory serves me correctly....In Texas if you rear end someone its automatically your fault, no matter what the circumstances were. His insurance will pay to fix but that still sux bad! Sorry to hear about it!

1CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Vintage-Iron
Banned

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS/RS
Dude, I feel sorry for you. In 2009 I owned a 2007 Mustang GT and I was sitting one afternoon at a stoplight in Phoenix where I used to live and a girl on her cell phone never even hit her brakes and rear ended me going 35mph, she was driving a Honda Civic, it totaled it, my Mustang to my surprise only has $2500 in damage, she got out running her mouth and I ended up almost fighting her husband because I said something to them about being on the cell phone. It took me 3 months to get my car back to being "half way" correct, 2 repaints of the rear bumper and finally had to take it to another shop which their insurance paid for (allstate) because the other shop couldnt get it matched properly. Something like what you have been through completely takes away from a positive ownership experience, at least it did for me because it will always show up on carfax and it ruins the value....
Vintage-Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I'm so sorry you had that happen to you again. Hope your baby is fixed up as good as new very soon & that this will be the last of the bad luck for your Camaro.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Nothing pisses me off more than watching someone who is driving and talking or texting on the phone
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CamaroSS View Post
Man...that sucks! That is one of the reasons I moved out of Texas. I didn't live that far away from where you are.

If memory serves me correctly....In Texas if you rear end someone its automatically your fault, no matter what the circumstances were. His insurance will pay to fix but that still sux bad! Sorry to hear about it!
You moved out of texas because of getting rear ended? that makes no sense.

Although, on reason I moved from Idaho was the loud trumpet playing.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
CUPRA

Thanks everyone.

Just had another look at lunchtime, hopefully, it looks like it is just the lower black diffuser, that's a cheap part and can be unclipped and replaced nice and quick. I don't see any paint damage or bumper damage at all.

Fingers crossed I get a call from their insurance adjuster today, so I can get it booked in.

Already contacted Eric Hall at Classic Chevrolet to see if they rear diffusers in stock.
Just wish the SLP rear diffuser wasn't $1,195!

Oh well!

Here are a couple of pics, as I said, not bad, just annoying. Nowhere near as bad as last time.

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Hammer St. James

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPRA View Post
Today marks 23 months of ownership exactly of my 2011 Camaro SS that I lovingly ordered back in April 2010.

6 weeks after taking delivery, I was rear ended by someone with no insurance. Hadn't even made my first payment. Well, got the Camaro all repaired and looking great, and then finally about 2 months ago, I got my deductible back from the other guys insurance.

This morning on my way to work, I am following a guy doing 30 in a 45 on his cell phone. Think to myself that he needs to put down the phone and think about driving. Anyways, I carry on, get in front of him and pull into the left lane of a 3 lane road to turn left onto a main freeway.

The guy on the phone is about 2 cars behind me at this point. I make my left turn onto Interstate 820, where there is a lot of construction at the moment. It's backed up. I slow down and come to a stop. The two cars behind me don't turn and carry straight on. The guy who was on his cell phone in his Jaguar makes the left turn and then just drives into me.

I get out of the car and look at him. He's still on the phone, and then he jams his foot on the accelerator? I'm like WTF? And slam both hands down on his hood to get his attention. He's all 'I know, I know, I did it, I did it'... I point to the construction zone and get him to pull in-between some cones.

I take all his details, he kept saying 'I know it's my fault, I know I did it' and then going on about his Jaguar not driving properly, and he pressed the accelerator and not the brake and things like that.

It's more frustrating than anything else. Not a lot of damage, looks like I should get away with no paint and just a new black diffuser that goes around the exhaust pipes. From what I can see, doesn't look like there's paint damage, but I'll let the body shop determine that.

I'm fine, and I'm not as livid as I was the first time this happened. The Camaro isn't new anymore, and it hasn't been since I was first rear ended. But it is MY Camaro, and I look after like it as best I can. The valance will get replaced and I'll move on, unless there is some other damage... not sure... I might be seeing things, but I am not sure if there is a crease in the rear drivers side fender.

This is where I wish that I could see about getting the SLP rear valance, but as I understand it, SLP don't sell that valance unless you have an SLP car. Shame, as that would look really nice on there!
I'm confused
I'm a rebel. I will not allow anyone to dictate what I do, when I do it, or who I do it with. I feel sorry for those that choose to compromise their goals, dreams, needs, and desires to appease the control of another. I believe in freedom. I am an American.
-HSJ
Hammer St. James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
CUPRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer St. James View Post
I'm confused
Is it because I typed it in British English and not American English?
That gets people every time!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
23isback

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPRA View Post
Thanks everyone.

Just had another look at lunchtime, hopefully, it looks like it is just the lower black diffuser, that's a cheap part and can be unclipped and replaced nice and quick. I don't see any paint damage or bumper damage at all.

Fingers crossed I get a call from their insurance adjuster today, so I can get it booked in.

Already contacted Eric Hall at Classic Chevrolet to see if they rear diffusers in stock.
Just wish the SLP rear diffuser wasn't $1,195!

Oh well!

Here are a couple of pics, as I said, not bad, just annoying. Nowhere near as bad as last time.

And there he go still on his phone lol
23isback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
Hammer St. James

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
In one sentence you state that the guy had no insurance. Then, you say you received a refund of your deductible from his insurance.

I'm a rebel. I will not allow anyone to dictate what I do, when I do it, or who I do it with. I feel sorry for those that choose to compromise their goals, dreams, needs, and desires to appease the control of another. I believe in freedom. I am an American.
-HSJ
Hammer St. James is offline   Reply With Quote