Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
front tires on rear wheels

Did a search but couldn't find anything...

Simple: What problems, if any, will I have with putting the front stock tires on the rear stock wheels.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I don't think there is a problem... the wheel and tire pros will give you a definitive answer but I don't think the rear wheels are too wide for the front tires...

May I ask why. It's more common to take a set of rear wheels and tires and put them up front?

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
TommyTSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I don't think there is a problem... the wheel and tire pros will give you a definitive answer but I don't think the rear wheels are too wide for the front tires...

May I ask why. It's more common to take a set of rear wheels and tires and put them up front?

Nosy!

I have the long version typed out though I'm debating on whether or not to post it... The short version is that the front still have a decent amount where as the back do not and I'd rather wear the 'old' fronts for the trip I'm going to take.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

ah.
gotchya

Why not swap the rear wheels and tires with the front wheels and tires for a while.

I'm thinking there is no advantage to having the wider wheel on the narrower tire?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
TommyTSquared

Quote:

ah.
gotchya

Why not swap the rear wheels and tires with the front wheels and tires for a while.

I'm thinking there is no advantage to having the wider wheel on the narrower tire?
Are you talking about switching the wheels/tire combo after putting the new tires on? I'd like to keep the tread wear of the 'new' rear tires down as much as possible, which is why I don't want them on for the 800+ mile trip.

My plan was move the old fronts to the rear and install new fronts, take the trip, then install the new rears and be done with it. For some odd reason the rear tires get worn faster than the front so I'd like to preserve them as much as I can.

edit: I could just suck it up and have them all swapped... but yeah . I mean what's 800ish miles when the factory ones have lasted 21,xxx right!?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
edneyens

Drives: 1SS/RS/M6-White/Beige
Quote:

ah.
gotchya

Yes do as GTAHVIT suggest, no real problem putting a 245 tire on a 9 inch wheel, however I would not put the 275 tire on a 8 inch wheel - that is where you should expect problems....

That is too big a tire for that wheel.

Updating ---> glad to see you are not planning to put the big tires on the small wheels ... :-)

Last edited by edneyens; 12-30-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: missed a response
edneyens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
GTAHVIT
Blessed

I see where you're headed...

and I do feel your pain, I'm religious when rotating tires.... so I'm kinda miffed I can't do it on the camaro... so much so that when I buy wheels and tires I will probably go 305's all the way around so I can rotate them.....

If you are going to buy new fronts now then yes, I see your point, put the old fronts on the rears and get the most out of them. You might look at buyin another set of rear wheels and then you can go with the same wheel and tire set up on the front and rear and rotate at will.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Safety? Ask your tire man. Always replace tires in pairs, and always put the new tires on the rear. Search this. Many articles on the safety risk of putting the older tires on the rear.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
coolman

Help me understand. Your going to take the front tires now off the front wheels ,mount them on the back wheels, put new tires on the front wheel and then when your back from your trip put new back tires on the back wheels? I would be more afraid of the tire shop messing up my wheels. So for me anyways , I would only want them handled the least amount of times possible.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
TommyTSquared

See what you started GT by asking why?! lol when you start asking stuff like this people forget about original question which is very simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Help me understand. Your going to take the front tires now off the front wheels ,mount them on the back wheels, put new tires on the front wheel and then when your back from your trip put new back tires on the back wheels? I would be more afraid of the tire shop messing up my wheels. So for me anyways , I would only want them handled the least amount of times possible.
You're right, so what do you need help with understanding?

This information has nothing to do with the question I asked.

edit = meh

Last edited by TommyTSquared; 12-30-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
camaro2

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
Did a search but couldn't find anything...

Simple: What problems, if any, will I have with putting the front stock tires on the rear stock wheels.
Did this and you will see that the wheel will be flush with the side wall of the tire. On the smaller front wheel the tire is about 1/4 of an inch outboard of the wheel.
camaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
MemphisRaines

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Was there a definitive answer? I've been wondering the same thing and posted this question a while back. I have different reason though, there are plenty of front wheels floating around and you can get them for a song. I am thinking of buying one and keeping it as a spare...if I get a flat somewhat close to home I can put the spare on and at least get home or to the tire shop.
When it comes to adolescent automotive behavior, the King, High Priest and Minister of Annihilation remains the mighty Camaro SS. All hail the Master of Mischief! The Sultan of Smoke! The Ruler of Rubber! The Baron of Burnouts!
MemphisRaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Sometime I wouldn't mind getting a 20x9 w/ 275-40-20 set up for the front so I can rotate them. I would imagin they should not rub when I turn sharp , or would they?
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Safety? Ask your tire man. Always replace tires in pairs, and always put the new tires on the rear. Search this. Many articles on the safety risk of putting the older tires on the rear.
can you explain a little bit more on putting new tires on the rear? the reason i ask is b/c i was always told new tires on the front b/c they wear quicker. but i do see where people can wear the rear tires quicker.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote