Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
jbro90

Drives: camaro
Question red abl and zl1 door inserts

Ok guys so I have a 2014 camaro that came with the silver door inserts then I changes out the led for the ambient light on the door panels to a red instead of the ice blue this is the red 5mm superbright prewired led that comes with a 560 ohm resister that comes from oznium.com great product and looked really good with the silver door panels well I decided that I wanted to put the zl1 door panels in my car so I bought some from hawks third gen well went and installed them the looked great but the red ambient light was not near as bright as when the silver door inserts were installed on the car so I took the 560 resistor off the led and soldered a 330 ohm resistor in its place so it should be brighter cause the less ohms the more current and it still isn't showing up really at all so I need help please any at all would be awesome
jbro90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
aren't the door panels the same between the ZL1 and SS and LT?
Or are they a different color?
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
jbro90

The ss has the silver door inserts and the zl1 has a almost black color called carbon flash metallic door insert
Old 06-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
All ZL1 door inserts have the same issue no matter the LED. If you want bright LED's there's a DIY here where someone had the same issue and found a way to sand some of the overspray off the insert and get them to be brighter. The Stock Silver inserts are going to show the LED lighting the best.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:22 AM   #5
jbro90

I already sanded all the overspary and it's still dim was thinking about using EL light wire or light cord have you heard anything about that or mayby just two leds one on each side of the tube
Old 06-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
tazman

Drives: 2014 ZL1
If it is brighter on the side where the led is adding another light on the opposite side will definitely help. I ended up going through a lot to get mine to where I was happy with it http://sjmautoprod.com has wiring harness splitters where you can plug 2 led's into the door harness if you want a plug and play setup.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
Its because the Zl1 door panels are darker and do not let light show as much as the silver panels.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:25 AM   #8
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I did this 2-3 years ago...sanded the over spray on my ZL1 door thingies, painstakingly end to end with a dremel, installed 2 red LED's, one on each end of the pipe.

Worked out well, but it is too bright, lol.

Too late for me now, thinking of tinting off the entire "line" from the outside. This could all go downhill quickly.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:10 AM   #9
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I did this 2-3 years ago...sanded the over spray on my ZL1 door thingies, painstakingly end to end with a dremel, installed 2 red LED's, one on each end of the pipe.

Worked out well, but it is too bright, lol.

Too late for me now, thinking of tinting off the entire "line" from the outside. This could all go downhill quickly.
Before you go and tint maybe give this some thought.How about a dimmer wired in so you can adjust to your preference.You could hide the dimmer or buy a rotary style dimmer and mount it somewhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-White-1...8AAOSwGotWjSKO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6V-12V-24V-2...cAAOSwmtJXUtAE
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #10
jbro90

Tried the 5mm leds from ozinum I think is how you spell it and put 330 ohm resistors on them and put on on each end of the pipe and I sanded the instert it's self and it still really dull IIdk what to do now might order some red leds from superbrightled.com and see how it looks with them there on on the the is a 12000 mcd with a 8 degree angle would that be brighter and better to use for this then the ones I got now that are like .42 lumens with a 30 degree angle
Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #11
jbro90

Hey camaro dude do you have any pics of where and how much you sanded the edge down to like maybe down to that bend on the insert that bends down and then you have the face of the insert
Old 07-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #12
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbro90 View Post
Hey camaro dude do you have any pics of where and how much you sanded the edge down to like maybe down to that bend on the insert that bends down and then you have the face of the insert
Pm'd

I don't have pics of the inside, just outside..
Old 07-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #13
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
Before you go and tint maybe give this some thought.How about a dimmer wired in so you can adjust to your preference.You could hide the dimmer or buy a rotary style dimmer and mount it somewhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-White-1...8AAOSwGotWjSKO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6V-12V-24V-2...cAAOSwmtJXUtAE
thank you sir!
Old 07-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #14
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbro90 View Post
Go down towards the end of post 4 for how far to sand the door panels
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=dash+door+ABL
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ambient light, door panels, lz1, red, superbright led