Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 05-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #43
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Go in the 1LE section of the forum under the video and picture thread that Suxost created, you will see a bunch of pictures of mine, even some next to a red Boss 302.

Be patient, the car is worth it, I waited 6 months for mine. Mine is a 1SS, black as well with NPP.
Will do. We did not get the NPP. We need it to be quite at times, and will make changes when the car starts to become more track than street. I did get the speaker upgrade. I know it's worth it, and my dealer has been great, but I really want my car!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #44
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
HMMM that is the day before my vacation starts...I might just have to make the drive over there!
Shall I add you to the list of participants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I'd love to see much more of this as "official" C5 events rather than one big monster event each year that half the country can't attend because of the time and cost, and eats up a year of volunteer time planning and doing. Smaller official Camaro5 HPDE events of 50-100 people could be organized much easier all over the country and IMHO would be more fun and enjoyable to participate in.

I just wish I lived closer to Gingerman; I know you guys are going to have a blast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
I def agree with all of that. I think these regional things would be just the ticket. We have so many members on here (34k+) that I'm sure we could scavenge up 50-100 members per regional event. We all love driving our cars...could be on to something here!
The Fest isn't going anywhere...I like our big monster.

But...if I had a crystal ball...I might say I predict a few more of these little get-togethers popping up in different places. Don't hold me to anything...but I tend to agree with you both that this is a good idea for our members. It's not a whole lot easier...in fact, if more do happen - it'll likely be a little more difficult for a couple of years...but I feel it's worth it. The website is here for purposes like this.

And fun-fact....I dunno when the last time you checked our registration figures down below....but we've got 77,700+ members on Camaro5.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Will do. We did not get the NPP. We need it to be quite at times, and will make changes when the car starts to become more track than street. I did get the speaker upgrade. I know it's worth it, and my dealer has been great, but I really want my car!
I hear you!! You're going to love it when it finally comes!!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #45
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
This is really good to see this kind of exposure for a track day! Wish i could make it,sure hope something along the lines happens on the west coast
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #46
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
FYI! Updated the original post with hotel information!

HOTELS
http://www.cgimotorsports.com
In the Q&A section...

"CGI MOTORSPORTS has arranged for special rates with Comfort Suites , South Haven, Mi. Just let them know that you are participating in a CGI Performance Track Event."
I just called the hotel and they know nothing about a special rate.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #47
Aimless

Drives: TANNHÄUSER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Awesome!!!

It is too bad he's gone...if he were still around - THE Becky might never show her face at a performance event again!
Am I missing something? You WERE called Dragoneye at some point right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I'd love to see much more of this as "official" C5 events rather than one big monster event each year that half the country can't attend because of the time and cost, and eats up a year of volunteer time planning and doing. Smaller official Camaro5 HPDE events of 50-100 people could be organized much easier all over the country and IMHO would be more fun and enjoyable to participate in.

I just wish I lived closer to Gingerman; I know you guys are going to have a blast!

Doc let me just interject and say that I really wish that you could make it to this event. You have no idea how much your build journal has inspired me on my own build. Before I even bought my car i knew that I wanted to turn it into a corner carver. Lo and behold, you were already doing everything I had planned and more.

Name:  20130507_132333.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  536.8 KB

Blue Angel is what Tannhauser wants to be when it grows up.

Alright enough sucking up form me.

I think I'll go back to lurking for another year or so. See you all at Gingerman!
Aimless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #48
mercedestech

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM,2013 Mercedes ML350
I've never attended an event like this, heck I've never had my car on anything but the street. Would it be worth attending with my stock suspension and tires/wheels? I have plenty of power with my current mods, but haven't done any suspension work just yet. Sounds fun, just wouldn't want to embarass myself.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Whipple 2.9L, Rotofab CAI and coil covers, XS Power LT's and full 3" exhaust, Vengeance kaotic cam package (trunion kit,dual springs,titanium retainers,hardened pushrods,c5r chain,ls2 tensioner, melling oil pump) Mgw shifter, 160 deg Tstat, prosport gauges, LPE dual pump, FIC 60lb injectors, level 5 DSS Axles

1994 Z28 MSD optispark, K&N CAI, Magnaflow y pipe..Cat..and cat back. 1998 wheels, custom tune(sold )
1993 Base V6 sold to buy Z28
1994 Purple Pearl V6...sold
1979 Base Car with inline 250ci 6 cyl! My first car in 1989!
mercedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #49
Aimless

Drives: TANNHÄUSER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedestech View Post
I've never attended an event like this, heck I've never had my car on anything but the street. Would it be worth attending with my stock suspension and tires/wheels? I have plenty of power with my current mods, but haven't done any suspension work just yet. Sounds fun, just wouldn't want to embarass myself.
You'll do fine. Even in stock form the 5th Gen is a very potent platform. Certainly not the greatest, with the built in understeer but I'd definitely recommend this chance to try your hand at a road course if you can make it.

Btw i don't want to embarrass myself either but in my case it's probably inevitable...
Aimless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #50
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
CamaroCross time!!!! CLICK HERE
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #51
SparkyDL75
SparkyDL75

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/Grey
I wanna go FAST!! A trip to Gingerman and CamaroCross will be totally awesome!! I gotta see what I can do to make this trip happen!
Suspension Pedders Pace Car Pkg w/ZL1 Upgrade; Pedders Upper & Lower Control Arm, Steering, & Differential Mount Bushings; Pedders SS Brake Lines; Pedders Dual Bearing Camber Plates; ZL1 Toe Link; Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads
Drivetrain Maggie2300(8psi-3.4pulley); CompCam; 85lb injectors; ZL1 fuel pump; ZR1 MAP; Centerforce DYAD Twin Disc clutch; Stainless Works LT headers; QTP Cutouts; Rotofab intake; RX catch can; Mike Norris tune 643rwhp 598 rwtq

SparkyDL75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #52
JusticePete

Quote:
You can bring ANY make or model of car to a road course and have obscene amounts of fun. There is a bit of vehicle prep work. This is a basic list.

1. Change your engine oil and filter.
2. Unless your Camaro is brand new, at minimum bleed your brakes. The preference is to flush out the old fluid and replace it with new fluid. If you expect to run hard upgrade your brake fluid to a higher temperature range than stock.
3. Check your brake pads. You don't want to start a track day with less than 60% of pad material.
4. Check your tires. You'll need more than a Lincoln's head of tread.
5. Check your wheels for any type of rim damage on the inside and outside of the rims.
6. Check your nuts. Loose nuts ruin track days. Lay a wrench on every nut and bolt in the driveline, suspension and brakes to make certain they are all tight.
7. Empty your car. You should not enter the track with anything but an empty interior (including storage areas) and an empty trunk.
8. Remove your floor mats. Remember I said empty.

The organizers will tell you if there are loaner helmets available and if you are required to wear long pants and long sleeves on track. My suggestion is to get a SNELL SA HELMET of your own. Your brain is YOU. Your helmet is your BRAIN BUCKET. Take good care of BOTH.

You will NEVER be embarrassed driving ANYTHING on a track day. Fly in and bring a Chevy Spark rental. Take my word for it, you'll have fun. A track day is NOT a race. No one cares how fast you drive. The goals are as follows.

1. BE SAFE
2. BE SAFE
3. BE SAFE
4. Have Fun
5. BE SAFE

Everyone will arrive at the track with different driving skill levels. It doesn't matter. You'll be grouped with drivers of similar skill levels. If you are a professional race car driver you'll learn something new at the track day. If you have never run a track day you'll learn so much your head will be spinning. With each lap you want to get more comfortable and more precise in your driving lines. You are striving for the perfect lap. You'll be striving a long long time As you hit your marks and learn the course you will get faster even though the drive seems to slow down.

There are countless video from Gingerman. You'll find quite a few on our YouTube channel. Watch them to help learn the track. Study the track map so you know it backwards and forwards BEFORE you go. BE SAFE. Have Fun.

This is Danny Popp at Gingerman. Don't even think of driving like him. He has more seat time than you can imagine, but he is fun to watch.

John Buttermore driving the PUSA Camaro. Watch his line, but don't expect to beat his times John is running hot laps and cool down laps. Just like Danny, when he is on a hot lap it is a hot lap.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #53
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
CamaroCross time!!!! CLICK HERE
Registered
Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #54
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Me too! First time doing a Camarocross! Looking forward to it!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #55
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
I'll be going pretty slow around the track considering it will be a newborn from the factory. I'm sure I'll be babying the piss out of it.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #56
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I'll be going pretty slow around the track considering it will be a newborn from the factory. I'm sure I'll be babying the piss out of it.
Spare the rod and spoil the child.

When I built my first hot rod engine in high school I had help from one of my father's friends. When we completed the job we took it for a test drive. After we verified there were no leaks, double checked the timing and re-torqued some bolts it was time to see if we did it right. We warmed all the fluids as measured by old school 'mechanical' gauges and headed to a deserted stretch of highway for the TEST. Idle at a dead stop to red line straight through the gears! Then a cool down at 50 for a minute. Drop a gear and pound through to red line in each gear. Cool down. Back to just under red line and hold it, bang shift to just under redline and hold it. We did this for 30 minutes and then drove back to my home garage. He told me my new engine was bullet proof unless I over revved it. If it was going to break, it would already be broken. We changed the oil and filter with subsequent changes at 500 mil intervals for the first 3,000 miles. I sold that car with 130K on that engine

Taking a brand new car to the track requires just a bit of extra care. Bedding your brakes at the track is a great way to warm the lubricating fluids in your new car. After the cool down, in your next session use the first three laps to warm them back up. Your new car is now ready to go all out or as fast as all out is with your comfort level at the track. Run three hard laps. Keep your on on the oil and water temp. Back off no matter what they read. Don't push it. Run a cool down lap or two. Switch to cool down laps IMMEDIATELY if you see the temps getting too high at any time.

5th Gens are BUILT. They don't melt in the rain. They are durable on the track. There is no need to baby the BULLY you own.

Tags
aimless cant drive.., road course action in mi, ssmike can't get enough