Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I would be thrilled to take ownerships of a $60,000 Z/28, but none of the dealer's I know will give me a $20,000 discount.
If any of you know the person who I just quoted then you now have an idea of how much this car will cost!!! Pete your numbers are spot on!!! As for production numbers don't be surprised if you see less then 1500...
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
$80K is a lot of $$$$$. You could get close to having a Z51 & 1LE.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
crangie

Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal1084 View Post
If any of you know the person who I just quoted then you now have an idea of how much this car will cost!!! Pete your numbers are spot on!!! As for production numbers don't be surprised if you see less then 1500...
crangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #18
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
So there is not any real new news here so you may not care to read any further but I was at the dealer today get scheduled maintenance on the ZL1 done and so I thought I would go in and talk to Mike the owner of the dealership who is personal friend of mine. This dealership has been in his family for 47 years and he took over from his father about 19 years ago so he has been in the business for quite a while.

I am 2nd on the list for notifications when the Z/28 allocations are made so I asked him if he was concerned about getting an allocation and he said "absolutely not". He told me that allocation of the Z/28 are primarily based on the dealer sales of ZL1's over the last two years and that even though they have a very small dealership, their percentage of ZL1 sales versus overall sales was what GM was "more than likely" going to use as a metric to determine Z/28 allocations. He said he has sold 11 2013 ZL1's and 9 2012's which placed him in the top 20% across the country and top 10% in Florida from a percentage of sales perspective. He said the allocations of COPO's where handled much differently because it was sold through the part's department and not the normal sales channels. He said he expected GM to make "plenty" of Z/28's based on the reception of the ZL1 and thought it would not be overly difficult to get one.

He told me that he was selling any he got at MSRP, no markup. He believes that dealers who mark up the Z/28 too much may be underestimating the amount of Z/28's GM is going to produce. He thinks that is going to be a mistake. He estimates a number less than the ZL1,but not by much; something around the numbers for the first year ZR1. He says his approach will be to get as many as he can and sell them at sticker so that any next gen Camaro that has low allocations he will be high on the list at GM when those future allocations are made.

Finally, he said that GM envisions the Z/28 having an appeal far beyond the muscle car or Camaro crowd. GM is banking on the Z/28 pulling in a whole new group of buyers that have traditionally gone with Euro's or even Vette's. He thinks that this new group of buyers will more than make up for the lack of traditional Camaro buyers that may not want to spend what it takes to get a Z/28.

He stressed that the Z/28 will not be for everyone though he knows nothing more than we do about price, availability, etc..etc. He also stressed that everything he said was "total speculation" and "an educated guess" having been in the business for so many years.

So, I left very excited and though I am not sure I will actually pull the trigger on one, it is nice to know that it looks as though people who want one and have the resources to get one will be able to do just that.
...nothing for nothing, and,..no disrespect...but...on average dealers are like PT Barnum....and we all know what his famous slogan was. Advice. If you really want one, don't place all your eggs in one basket, just sayin'....
Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
If the Z07 package for the Z06 is $7,500 and then add another $7,500 for the LS7 upgrade to a 1LE/1SS you'd be around $55,000. I just can't see a Z/28 being $80,000.
Base Price for a Vette is $50K. Here is how I priced out the Z06. $91,580. That is a $40,000 bump to a base Vette. A bare bones 1SS is $34K. By my calculations the lowest possible price for a Z/28 would be $75,000, but the Z/28 includes thinner glass and other unique to the Z/28 items. The Z06 borrows from the ZL1 with no new technology or components. Can you imagine what the brake calibration cost to develop and validate on the Z/28?$?$?$?$

I would love to be wrong, but I don't see the Z/28 at less than $80K
Attached Images

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #20
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

But a huge portion of the C6 base to C6 Z06 was the aluminum frame and its add-ons. For the SS to Z/28 there are no chassis changes only suspension, etc.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
And there's a lot of things the Z/28 won't have that the Z06 does; like A/C, leather interior, sound system, sound deadening in various places, magnetic suspension, anything 'luxury', etc. I still say it's going to be priced somewhere in the $60k range and probably the lower part.

GM wants Camaro owners/customers to buy these and they want them out on the track where they can be visible and start building a reputation. Pricing it at $80k+ just basically moves it completely out of the Camaro market.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #22
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

The 5Gen Camaro has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than paid for itself. That being said I believe the Z/28 will be a huge leap in promoting the Camaro even more so than the ZL1. It will continue to push the Camaro above beyond the Mustangs and Challengers. It will assist in the Camaro acquiring a whole new following. All that being said and the fact that Chevy is highly value oriented I believe it will be around $60K.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
And there's a lot of things the Z/28 won't have that the Z06 does; like A/C, leather interior, sound system, sound deadening in various places, magnetic suspension, anything 'luxury', etc. I still say it's going to be priced somewhere in the $60k range and probably the lower part.

GM wants Camaro owners/customers to buy these and they want them out on the track where they can be visible and start building a reputation. Pricing it at $80k+ just basically moves it completely out of the Camaro market.
Doc I am not arguing with your school of thought. Were I a betting man I would bet you the difference. Instead I will bet you 25 cents that I am closer on the price than you are.

Quote:
The 5Gen Camaro has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than paid for itself. That being said I believe the Z/28 will be a huge leap in promoting the Camaro even more so than the ZL1. It will continue to push the Camaro above beyond the Mustangs and Challengers. It will assist in the Camaro acquiring a whole new following. All that being said and the fact that Chevy is highly value oriented I believe it will be around $60K.
While true, I haven't noticed a drop in base price Profit at GM is no longer a dirty word.

I am not arguing with your school of thought. Were I a betting man I would bet you the difference. Instead I will bet you 25 cents that I am closer on the price than you are.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

I'll hold on to my 2 bits as you are much closer to those in the know than I.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
That's understood. My comments are based on those saying $70-$80K. The Z/28 is an evolution of the 1LE not the ZL1.

Considering some of the parts in the ZL1 are stamped Z/28 and the 1LE came out after the ZL1 that might be debatable.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #26
JusticePete

Quote:
I'll hold on to my 2 bits as you are much closer to those in the know than I.
I have absolutely no inside information on pricing. None. Zero. Nada. Zip. No one at GM is talking Z/28 pricing. No one. I know Dealers that are almost begging to know. They have clients cash in hand waiting to get in line. They don't want to take money from those thinking the price will be x only to find out it is ZZ. They want to order 60 at $60K and 6 at $80+ They have received NO guidance on pricing.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #27
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Doc I am not arguing with your school of thought. Were I a betting man I would bet you the difference. Instead I will bet you 25 cents that I am closer on the price than you are.
Are you holding at $80k? You're on. $70k or higher you win; below $70k I win.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Are you holding at $80k? You're on. $70k or higher you win; below $70k I win.
I think Scott Settlemire should hold on to our money to keep things on the up and up. I'll hand him my 25 cents at Tom Henry's Camaro Day next weekend.