Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Fixing the street slippy to get more sticky

I'm in hope someone can give me answers here for the issue I have currently. Searched and as usual most threads never come to finished resolution or get filled with way off topic junk lol. My eyes are now burning from reading lol.

Issue is I have to baby my car in first second and part of third on my 1LE on the street. Tons of rear tire slip on the street and it's driving me nuts. I just received all 4 new F1's with plans to keep the stock rims and tires for autocross set up when needed or track events. So I'm good there just haven't mounted the new tires yet. Currently waiting for a nice day to shred up and have some fun before with these old tires.

Ok so on to what I'm doing and questions, I just ordered a rear set of factory reproductions zl1 style 41 18x11. I ordered these because they keep the factory look the most which I like and the price is great. I do not need anything more at this time like really high end drag only etc etc. just looking to stick the back tires to the street. Yes I know I'll need to tie back brake cables.

Can I order a set of TPMS sensors to install on the FRP's 18x11's with the new drag radials?
I would like the option to swap the drag set up back to the factory's and back again as needed with only needing to reset the tire sensors system.

Do I need the relearn tool to? I'm not sure even what TPMS's I need for the 18x11's .. those dash lights bug the hell out of me so in hopes there is help on this..the stock TPMS's look like they are for 20" wheels only?

I'm stuck on tire size for these also. Looking at 305/40/18 as they seem to be closest to stock finished height, but can I go to a 315 if I wanna with no rub issue?

Car feels great and power is awesome.
Currently mods are weight reduction from stock 3860 to 3520, long tubes w/ no cats, ported throttle body and a CAI. Working on underhood temps and IAT's by changing to a custom air intake (my design) and wrapping the headers partly. I have JBA's ceramic coated but still feel the headers heat can be tamed some more. And of course getting the car to stick on the street . Lol. Will be adding adjustable coilovers shortly also.

Ok so anyone reading this your eyes now hurt.. bahahaha.
I do appreciate the great help too though.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
you can just slap on sum NT555's or similar and prob solved for street....only reason to go smaller rim size is to get more sidewall for drag racin....or looks...

I have the same prob(heck I can get 4th to break free on occasion(lol)...I use the lack of traction to keep me from speedin so much! lulz...

I save my 18" setup for the track....similar height doesn't f with the anti-lock but does trip the TPMS....once I put the streets back on it turns off within 5 min or so....

FYI...even with my DR's on at 30 psi they still break free easily in 1st....of course I drop the psi to 12 at the track...big diff....

BTW - have you done any rear suspension mods? rear sub frame inserts/bushings and TA's minimum to control/eliminate hop...that is if you want your axles to survive...

peace...
Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Jay - your problem is Goodyear F1 G2s. They just don't work in this cold. At all. Like, they are dangerous. You just need a different tire. They will work when it's 80* and sunny, but when it's 45* and cloudy they are junk. It's really not a good tire to have up north where we live - you need something that'll perform in the cold.

315s should fit not problem - I should have a set on mine with some 18x11's reps here in a week or two if you wanna see how they look.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
18s are extreme but if you are looking for a size that better suits drag/street racing it will work. I ran a Nitto Nt05R on a stock 20" ZL1 rim and it dead hooked just fine. Like mentioned above the stock F1s are not suited for cold weather or straight line traction really.

As for the sensors you can run a set in your drag radials but if they are not on all the time you might be wasting your money. You need a tool to make sure they connect to the vehicle right away. There may even be a manual process to link them as well but unless you leave them on it's not worth it imo to reprogram them every time.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Can I order a set of TPMS sensors to install on the FRP's 18x11's with the new drag radials?
JR: Would think so. I have.

I would like the option to swap the drag set up back to the factory's and back again as needed with only needing to reset the tire sensors system.

Do I need the relearn tool to? I'm not sure even what TPMS's I need for the 18x11's .. those dash lights bug the hell out of me so in hopes there is help on this..the stock TPMS's look like they are for 20" wheels only?
JR: for your year I think you need that tool.

I'm stuck on tire size for these also. Looking at 305/40/18 as they seem to be closest to stock finished height, but can I go to a 315 if I wanna with no rub issue?
JR: 305/45/18 DRs all fit fine.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
camaroaddiction

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
18s are extreme but if you are looking for a size that better suits drag/street racing it will work. I ran a Nitto Nt05R on a stock 20" ZL1 rim and it dead hooked just fine. Like mentioned above the stock F1s are not suited for cold weather or straight line traction really.
+1 Just put NT05r on my 20" zl1 wheels and I can pretty much mash the gas in any gear without spinning
2010 Camaro SS LS3 Mods: FBO, Cam, UDP, Dss axles, 3.91 gears, LPW diff cover, Eaton Truetrac, Mcleod RXT Clutch, IdealG Master cylinder, 1" lowering springs, MSD 2 step, CTAP, SJM line lock, 17" slicks and skinnies, Braum racing seats, BMR Trailing arms, BMR Toe Rods, DSS driveshaft, Ported/modded intake manifold, PTB
camaroaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:22 PM   #7
Jayjellyfish212

Thanks guys.
I have the 18"X11" FRP rears in route. I like the f1's and the factory 20's only when using for track or road courses etc. other than that on the street I do not care for the f1's or the 20" wheels. 4 brand new f1's sitting in the garage ready to mount. I should get great use on them since I'm doing the 18"wheels as the secondary set. The coilovers should give me the set up change options for heights and dampening based on what wheel set I'm using at times of the swapping back and forth. I'm sure I can find a happy medium on the alignment and with camber adjustments it should be more than fine.

Should be fun as hell with the 18's.

I don't DD the car and I only get to use the car 5 months out of the year if I'm lucky enough with NY crappy weather. Moving forward on the 18" rears with 315's. I'll do the front with an 18 x8 which should be a killer street to strip setup with more street use than anything. Should be a blast .

I did find that use or change with the TPMS's will need the digital tool on 14-15's , but it's not that hard to set . I don't plan to swap from the 20"wheels to the 18" wheels weekly. Probably monthly at most depending on what is going on . I have 2 friends with full shops so I'm good whenever I need to dismount or mont tire. Still pondering if I'll do tpms sensors on the 18's or not.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #8
Jayjellyfish212

Like these bad boys...

Name:  IMG_0997.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  112.8 KB