Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #113
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker57676 View Post
First test of the 370Z is in. the Z pulled .99 on the skid pad, stopped from sixty in 106 feet, 0-60 in 4.7 and quarter in 13.3 at 105.7. Not too bad for the little six shooter from the land of the rising sun. Personally, the skid pad and braking are what have me excited; I am eager to see how the SS matches up holding the road.

Mark

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html
Very impressive...
Old 11-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #114
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
if i was in the market for a 30-40k 2 seater that wasnt a domestic, id be all over THIS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1308

NOOO, stay domestic, just go exotic..

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/pan...-cars134588019
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #115
andyrew

Drives: Audi A4 STG3, Porsche 914 v8
Impressive test results on the Z!!

I hope the Camaro can get .95 skidpad.... .99 is very impressive!!!
andyrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #116
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinZero View Post
I would very much like to see what happens with a Production SS on the Nordeschleife. I would like to think with the Fe3 suspension and the 6.2 under the hood it would throw out an 8:02 or even an 8:00. Like Craig said.... when this time was put in, this was a VERY rough car.
I doubt there would be much improvement. I'm sure that it was run with the same engine, transmission, and suspension as we are getting. Since then there may have been tweaks, but they wouldn't have changed out major components like that. For reference, the 550 hp CTS V did it in 7:59. The Camaro will not get close to an 8 flat, despite the lower weight and better balance. A 8:15 might be possible but don't expect much more than that.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #117
seeknay2000

Drives: 1978 Z28, 1987 Suburb
Nissan 370Z is nice, but I wouldn't say it's a closer competitor than the Mustang. Numbers wise, I think it'll put up a good fight as well - especially after the tuners get their hands on it. But I think the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger are the only ones that really matter.

End of the day no matter how much HP they cram into the V6 in the Nissan, a "muscle car" is a "muscle car" - you either have a passion for the V8 or you like the turbocharged 4cyl or V6 - either way I don't think you can compare the two. As far as price - $32K is almost exactly what the Camaro SS is - I think $34K (don't quote me).

If I have to stare at the tailights of that Nissan after he passes me with his twin-turbocharged V6, I'll be okay, because I'll be listening to the thunder of my V8.

offtopic! (i'm flagging myself, sorry but just couldn't help myself)
blackzbandit - If you get black with flat black stripes I want to see a pic! I've been thinking about flat black or metallic gray stripes but can't decide!

seeknay2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #118
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeknay2000 View Post
Nissan 370Z is nice, but I wouldn't say it's a closer competitor than the Mustang. Numbers wise, I think it'll put up a good fight as well - especially after the tuners get their hands on it. But I think the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger are the only ones that really matter.

End of the day no matter how much HP they cram into the V6 in the Nissan, a "muscle car" is a "muscle car" - you either have a passion for the V8 or you like the turbocharged 4cyl or V6 - either way I don't think you can compare the two. As far as price - $32K is almost exactly what the Camaro SS is - I think $34K (don't quote me).

If I have to stare at the tailights of that Nissan after he passes me with his twin-turbocharged V6, I'll be okay, because I'll be listening to the thunder of my V8.

blackzbandit - If you get black with flat black stripes I want to see a pic! I've been thinking about flat black or metallic gray stripes but can't decide!

Correct me if im wrong, but it looks like the new Z took alot more effort than the new stang...?
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #119
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeknay2000 View Post

The Z is naturally aspirated.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #120
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
And the Camaro SS will certainly not be looking at the taillights of the 370z.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #121
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
I saw the 370z yesterday at the autoshow. It is not my taste but I suspect some of the younger guys will love it. The issue will be price which I think will keep most of those younger guys away. Being able to buy a Camaro for 25k that looks like an SS for the most part will likely be very appealing to many younger guys.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #122
CAmaroLA

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to CAmaroLA
I can see by all the posts that I am pretty late replying to this thread, but I think the design of the 370z is better than the 350z, mostly because of the 240z look to it from the side. Although, I absolutely love the 2010 Camaro. Even though its the "2010 Camaro", its being released in March of 2009 in the U.S. This is very exciting to me, because I really want to test drive this beastly car. I obviously don't have the money to purchase this vehicle yet, because I have never worked before and I just started college, but once I get lucky and find a job somewhere, I will save my money up like if we were in "The Great Depression" .Haha. I won't spend a penny on any sort of entertainment, which doesn't matter to any of you guys, but this shows how much I really really want this car. Now for the actual question. I love both cars, but I am going to stick with my obsession with the Camaro, although the 370z is badass as well.
CAmaroLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #123
num1panthersfan

Drives: Mazda Rx-8
Ima decide when I test drive them both. I'm just really curious to see the 'Maro official 0-60 and 1/4 mile times when reviewed. That's gonna be a big determining factor for me cuz if the 'Maro ends up slower I will be extremely disappointed and going to get a 370Z!!!
num1panthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:57 AM   #124
MAROobsession

Drives: 05 Honda Accord V6
highly doubt that. plus the marow will be alot cheaper to mod getting more hp gains for the money with an 8 compared to a 6. Cams anyone?
Old 11-29-2008, 05:10 AM   #125
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
A "Miss-On?" Did I tune to BBC3 by mistake?

Seriously, mates. Who in their right mind would take a re-tooled "miss-on" over a brand new Cam-err-oh?

Bollocks. you have got to hand it to that fussy lot at GM. They may have just built the best modern retro mucle car....."In the Woorrlld!"

Oh, and by the way - don't discount the overly-stylized Zed-twenty-eight.

It might just toss your opinions of American cars out the window. Some day.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:13 AM   #126
seeknay2000

Drives: 1978 Z28, 1987 Suburb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
Correct me if im wrong, but it looks like the new Z took alot more effort than the new stang...?

I completely agree - the styling of the new Z is amazing...if I could have two cars I'd def. buy a Z as well. I'm biased to the Camaro but Mustang really missed the mark. They tried to combine old with new and it didn't work, especially with only 300hp V8 model. I think Nissan really hit the mark, they're going to appeal to younger buyers, and the car looks perfect! 332bhp with about 3200lbs (about 500lbs lighter than camaro). Also, I looked up some 0-60 times for Nissan and came up with between 5.1 and 5.2 seconds (2008 350Z). Of course the 370Z will be 200lbs lighter than the 350Z and have 30 more hp. I'm guessing high 4's for 0-60 times...pretty close to the Camaro.

**Don't get me wrong - I think Nissan will be extremely close but the Camaro SS will beat it. When I said we'd be looking at the tailights, that's after the tuners start turbocharging it. Of course we can turbocharge our Camaros as well but the type of kids who want the 370Z are going to put more money modifying it than the actual cost of the car!

Personally I still beleive Mustang and Charger are more "competitors" than the Z. I think the #s of the Z and the Camaro SS are going to be really close and they're both amazing cars. However, the styling of the Mustang, Charger, and Camaro are all the same. Younger kids who dream to own a 1960s muscle car (which may not be practical) and older guys who've actually owned a 1960s muscle car and want to relive that expierience - are going to buy the Camaro SS. While I think the Z is closer to the Camaro than the Mustang or Charger, the styling is completely different. I dont think anyone will choose between a Nissan Z and a Camaro, they'll just have to figure out how they can get both.

seeknay2000 is offline   Reply With Quote