Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #43
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Just hope they don't overdo it. I like the way the interior looks now. I'm all for better materials, but let's keep that cost down here GM

All of my cars prior to my Camaro, I specifically didn't want all the fancy crap (automatic... door locks, windows, parking 'assist', etc.), because for the most part it is just something you'll have to FIX down the road. Unfortunately nowadays, you have little or no choice, as they have made all these standard (or even mandatory in some cases).

Even if these gadgets have a better life-span than they used to, it certainly adds to the cost of any automobile. I think GM's priority should be cost when it comes to interior and quality when it comes to what really makes an automobile (engine, transmission, wheels, etc.)

If I had to sit on a bucket while driving my Camaro... I'd do it with a permagrin on my face! (I think that goes for most boys & girls who grew up dreaming of owning a Camaro someday)
Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #44
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker70 View Post
If the new interior is going to look like the one on the front page, then I'm extremely happy that I bought a 2010.
Well...the interior in your 2010 is based off of that interior...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #45
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk View Post
I hope they lower the passenger seat 1/2" just so I can read 1,458 posts about how peoples wives dont like it and wish they still had a 2010. LOL
Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #46
wavrun2000
o come on

Drives: 06 GTO
This is fantastic new. GM interiors have come a long way but I think they need to go a little bit more to get more respect from the American buyers. I think that Audi is a great bench mark to shoot for. I really hope they come through on this one.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #47
Parker70

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS IO int, A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Well...the interior in your 2010 is based off of that interior...

Understood. I guess my point was that I like the changes made from concept to production and that I'm satisfied with what I have.
Parker70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #48
BLUESMOKE69

Drives: Saturn Astra 08
Could not agree more with Mr.Stracke....The Camaro interior doesn't do it for me. Hopefully the next interior will have more of an European flavour to it......example ALFA ROMEO BRERA
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #49
bpmurr
The Enemy ;)

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
The most encouraging statement the guy made was that Audi was the target. IMO no one has a better interior for material quality and style than Audi.
Ford has been going after Audi as well. They had an A5 at the press event for the 2011 Mustang for comparision purposes. It's nice to see GM shooting for the same level of quality.

Don't get me wrong. The Mustang isn't there yet but it's pretty close. I love seeing each company push each other.

I really didn't think the Camaro's interior is bad during my couple of test drives. It's just buyers seem to be really interested in interior quality at the moment.
2015 GT PP
2014 GT500 SVTPP/Track Pack
2013 Boss 302
2011 GT500 SVTPP
2010 GT500
2005 GT
bpmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #50
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
I've been really hoping they'd do something with the interior. It's the only disappointing thing about this otherwise, amazing looking car.

We own an Audi and a Mercedes and while I'm happy to hear that GM's goal is Audi-quality, it doesn't need to fully match Audi quality to satisfy someone like myself. I realize there is a signficant price-point difference and I just want something more professional and modern-looking with improved materials.

Items I hope they change:
  • Center Stack: Get rid of the gimmicky, robot-looking radio/head-unit and give us a double-din-type unit with a nice LCD screen and Nav/back-up cam capability. They can do this cheaply. They don't need a head-unit that is specifically designed for the Camaro. That doesn't make sense for reducing costs. Go with a standard double-din unit. Should save cost, look better and give people the options they want.
  • Climate control: Get rid of the playstation controls (that looked cool on the concept but didn't translate well in plastic) and give option for automatic/electronic climate control. What car these days doesn't have that option?
  • Tacky-looking loop door handles. Most cars have a nice, small, L-Shaped handle. No need for a big, chrome loop. Or go push-button like the 'Vette.
  • Guages: Shape of speedo/tach is nice and unique. But look of the gauges should be more professional and modern looking with better quality trim.
  • Air-conditioning outlets: The center one looks very unfinished, the way it sits behind the dash plastic.
  • Steering Wheel - Not a major priority for me but prefer something better looking

Address most of these areas and I'll be purchasing in 2012...
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #51
Savage76

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel LT1 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker70 View Post
If the new interior is going to look like the one on the front page, then I'm extremely happy that I bought a 2010.
Seriously...I seen that and thought "Ghaaaaaaa!"
Savage76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #52
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
I kinda like the concept interior ...

Overall, I don't agree: As a european, american cars, espacially muscle and pony ones, are all about muscular design, big engines and crappy interiors.

To me this is part of the american car industry identity. That's too bad to change that. I loved my brother's 1990 ZR1 ... felt like being in Star Wars ...

I'm against trying to match Audi BMW or anything european. If you want an Audi, then don't buy a Chevy!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #53
MartiMcFly

Drives: 2SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargomike View Post
I am guessing the vette will have it first .
The Vet does have it. The interior on a vest used to be just hard plastic but it has evolved into the soft sponge.

I was a little disappointed on the materials of the Camaro interior but I have to admit I absolutely love the interior lay out and design.
MartiMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #54
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
It's never a bad thing to hear that GM is looking for improvements, but when I finally purchase mine, interior will not be the main thing, ( or even all that important). I'm not saying just give me a great engine and the rest can be cheap. However, I don't think that the interior is cheaply made as it is now. Any tweaks should be minor, and the focus should still be on keeping the car affordable.

The only thing I honestly don't like about the car is rear visibility, but performance vehicles aren't built for visibility, so yeah.... no complaints.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #55
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
I've been really hoping they'd do something with the interior. It's the only disappointing thing about this otherwise, amazing looking car.

We own an Audi and a Mercedes and while I'm happy to hear that GM's goal is Audi-quality, it doesn't need to fully match Audi quality to satisfy someone like myself. I realize there is a signficant price-point difference and I just want something more professional and modern-looking with improved materials.

Items I hope they change:
  • Center Stack: Get rid of the gimmicky, robot-looking radio/head-unit and give us a double-din-type unit with a nice LCD screen and Nav/back-up cam capability. They can do this cheaply. They don't need a head-unit that is specifically designed for the Camaro. That doesn't make sense for reducing costs. Go with a standard double-din unit. Should save cost, look better and give people the options they want.
  • Climate control: Get rid of the playstation controls (that looked cool on the concept but didn't translate well in plastic) and give option for automatic/electronic climate control. What car these days doesn't have that option?
  • Tacky-looking loop door handles. Most cars have a nice, small, L-Shaped handle. No need for a big, chrome loop. Or go push-button like the 'Vette.
  • Guages: Shape of speedo/tach is nice and unique. But look of the gauges should be more professional and modern looking with better quality trim.
  • Air-conditioning outlets: The center one looks very unfinished, the way it sits behind the dash plastic.
  • Steering Wheel - Not a major priority for me but prefer something better looking

Address most of these areas and I'll be purchasing in 2012...
I couldn't have said it better myself!
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #56
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
They won't be changing the dash in the Vette next year i don't think, because it's going to be all new in 2013 or 14.
I'm glad they are changing the Camaro's dash. Now i am just wondering about the styling. I hope they go much more modern. Whether it's just a straight forward dash of today like the Malibu and Equinox, or something more futuristic, i think either one will be an improvement. I don't have a problem with the steering wheel or even the radio/climate controls. It's the overall design. It's just like they were trying to recapture the first gen car, and that just doesn't make sense. Dash's probably date worse than exterior design. I've never heard someone nostalgic over old car dash's.
Oh and please put the 4 console gauges back where they belong--up where the driver can see them.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote