Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #253
kravmaga79

Drives: 2015 2ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
As has been discussed several times in this thread, the 2LS "ERS Mode" can mimic TapShift, depending on how and when you use the paddles. But, it is not the same.

Examples:
While stopped, move the shifter to M. The DIC should show "M1." Tap the paddle to upshift several times.
  • A 2LS will show M2-M3-M4-M5-M6 as you tap the + paddle (while still stopped).
  • An LT (with TapShift) will show M2, then "Shift Denied" with further taps.
While driving at highway speed (where it is safe to do this experiment), have the shifter in M. Hit the upshift (+) paddle until the DIC says "M6." Now slow to a stop without touching any paddles. Then accelerate again back to 55+ MPH, again without touching any paddles.
  • A 2LS will still show M6 in the DIC as you slow down and stop, even though it is downshifting automatically. As you accelerate back to highway speed, it will upshift automatically, all the while still showing M6 in the DIC.
  • An LT (with TapShift) will show M6-M5-M4-M3-M2-M1 as you slow to a stop. As you accelerate, it will stay in M1 and redline out unless you intervene by upshifting.
The DIC in the car with TapShift will always show the actual gear you're in, won't allow you to go above 2nd gear while stopped, and won't upshift automatically EVER when in TapShift mode. The DIC in the 2LS is showing you the top gear you are allowing the car to automatically shift to--NOT always the gear you're currently in, although it CAN be the gear you're currently in, which is where it gets confusing and can make you think you have TapShift.
No offense but I dont think I agree with some of this post/info or its just a bunch of hullabaloo about nothing

My 2015 2 LS will down shift like its a manual paddleshift even does engine braking if you downshift enough to get the revs up.
It also wont shift to a higher gear by itself, it will redline and bounce off the rev limiter, unless of course you do like was mentioned and leave it in m6 and stopped without shifting, then it behaves like an automatic again. Big deal
But when i want it to act like a paddleshift manual it does.

what does piss me off is getting unknowingly stuck with a totally different rearend thats hard or limited in gear ratio swaps.
3.55 or 3.95 gears would really wake this V6 up
Some people have said a new carrier from the LT will swap in to my axle and then 3.55 will fit, is this true?
if so will that new carrier also use 3.95s?
kravmaga79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #254
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by kravmaga79 View Post
No offense but I dont think I agree with some of this post/info or its just a bunch of hullabaloo about nothing

My 2015 2 LS will down shift like its a manual paddleshift even does engine braking if you downshift enough to get the revs up.
It also wont shift to a higher gear by itself, it will redline and bounce off the rev limiter, unless of course you do like was mentioned and leave it in m6 and stopped without shifting, then it behaves like an automatic again. Big deal

what does piss me off is getting unknowingly stuck with a totally different rearend thats hard or limited in gear ratio swaps.
Some people have said a new carrier from the LT will swap in to my axle and then 3.55 will fit, is this true?
I assure you that it is not true tap shift. I had a 2013 and before I knew about it I would try and shift with it but only when accelerating super fast. It works if you attempt to change the gear when it's above 5-6000 RPMS. It will also downshift if you want it to but that's because it's for towing or whatever idiotic idea chevy had. Anyways, either way I have a 2017 now and I can tell you they're not the same feature. You're better off just buying one that isn't a 2LS than attempting to make it like the others. Or enjoy it, get a VTC it's still a fast car.

Last edited by Camarolover85; 08-13-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #255
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
Quote:

I'm also interested in swapping out my 2.92's

We need to contact Richmond and see if there gear set fits into our carrier. LOTS OF different opinions on this topic!
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #256
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
You are welcome to your opinion about how big of a deal the differences are, but that does not change the facts about the differences.

Quote:
Exactly why I created this thread, to inform people about these differences, since GM doesn't make it clear.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #257
sspade

What is the easiest, most cost effective swap for us 2LS owners looking to swap out our 2.92's ?

I would really like to add an LSD if possible...
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
Old 08-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #258
kravmaga79

Drives: 2015 2ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
What is the easiest, most cost effective swap for us 2LS owners looking to swap out our 2.92's ?

I would really like to add an LSD if possible...

good question?
it might depend on location and availability of used whole rear end parts from an lt that will swap in directly but they have to be reasonably priced and fairly close to you as shipping will kill the cheapness of the deal

so if no reaonably priced swaps are available then its change the gears with richmond ring and pinion but its unclear if our carrier will take newer 3.45 or 3.73s or do we need a new carrier from an lt rearend? is a carrier the internal parts the ring and pinion bolt to or the whole center pumpkin?
kravmaga79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #259
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
good question?
it might depend on location and availability of used whole rear end parts from an lt that will swap in directly but they have to be reasonably priced and fairly close to you as shipping will kill the cheapness of the deal

so if no reaonably priced swaps are available then its change the gears with richmond ring and pinion but its unclear if our carrier will take newer 3.45 or 3.73s or do we need a new carrier from an lt rearend? is a carrier the internal parts the ring and pinion bolt to or the whole center pumpkin?
I believe you need the whole pumpkin, hubs, axles, and half a drive shaft and a tuner to change the rearend ratio so the speedo will be correct.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #260
sspade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
I believe you need the whole pumpkin, hubs, axles, and half a drive shaft and a tuner to change the rearend ratio so the speedo will be correct.
What about something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2015-Ch...hYisRJ&vxp=mtr
Old 08-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #261
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yeah, but if you gonna do it, go with a higher gear ratio. If you really want the acceleration and hard pull, you want the 3.91 or at least the 3.45's. If your gonna spend time, money and effort, don't get the same thing every LT Camaro has, although you would have the LSD. So don't be disappointed, I want to swap out my diff, I have the 3.27's, I want 3.73 at least. 3.91's with the 2 the two overdrive gears will still get good gas mileage. And would puuullllllllll!!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #262
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

You can buy the cheapest LSD you can find, have it rebuilt with any ratio you want for about 1,110. Then it's brand new on the inside. And you get too choose what ratio you get.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #263
sspade

Hmm. Interesting. I'm really stumped on what route to go. Id like to be at 1,000$ total for all parts needed.

Will can fix my tune no problem.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:04 AM   #264
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Hmm. Interesting. I'm really stumped on what route to go. Id like to be at 1,000$ total for all parts needed.

Will can fix my tune no problem.
Did Will fix your stumble at the base of hill climb? Did you send him your dyno pull report? The rebuild would get a little pricey, but I would still look for a 3.45 ratio rearend. There one for sale in the classifieds. Or a ported intake mani, there is one of those too!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #265
sspade

Car hasn't stumbled since my last re tune. Kinda weird.

I did provide him dyno results and wideband AFR readings. He made a revision based on this data and I'm running it now.

However, been out West for a solid three weeks running 91... asked Will about this and have not gotten a response. Supposedly, I have his 93 tune...
Old 09-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #266
bandido

Drives: camaro v6 2013
has anybody in this forum, done a gear swap on a 2LS
bandido is offline   Reply With Quote