Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Autocross

Attended an SCCA Autocross event yesterday for the first time. There were about 150 cars there to race the course. Having never been to one of these events I was not sure what to expect. There were many different types of cars at this event and I saw some new 6th gen Camaros, SS 1LE and a ZL1.

I parked next to the 1LE and for the first time I could actually see and compare the difference between the 5th and 6th Camaros. Boy, the new ones sure are smaller and shorter looking.

After watching the racing for a few hours I have to say it was rather boring. The different classes raced 5 times each and I found myself just looking at the cars as the smaller classes raced. I attended this race at the invite of a friend of mine who owns a 69' Camaro and it was cool to see him race. For those that do this type of racing I can see why some like it. I just can't see the enjoyment of racing around a track in 2nd gear all the time.

My interest would be in stretching out the legs of my Z/28 on a road course like Mid-Ohio so, just maybe next year I might give it a shot.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Autocross is something you have to do/drive to fully get. 2nd gear WOT in an autocross is way busier then you would think. I enjoy the challenge and ever changing environment of autocross more than a track because it pushes me harder to know the car and put it on its limits. To me a good autocross course is harder to drive then a track. I urge you to try it once before you fully close the door on it. Autocross skills transfer easily over to track skills.

Don't get me wrong though, track days are great for stretching your legs and longer seat time, but they just don't have the same effect in my book, and this is coming from a guy who has a lot of track time as well.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Smokin19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
Autocross is something you have to do/drive to fully get. 2nd gear WOT in an autocross is way busier then you would think. I enjoy the challenge and ever changing environment of autocross more than a track because it pushes me harder to know the car and put it on its limits. To me a good autocross course is harder to drive then a track. I urge you to try it once before you fully close the door on it. Autocross skills transfer easily over to track skills.

Don't get me wrong though, track days are great for stretching your legs and longer seat time, but they just don't have the same effect in my book, and this is coming from a guy who has a lot of track time as well.

Exerience and coment noted. Thanks for some insight.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
markstoys

Drives: 2015 Z28 #141
OG Neon said it perfectly. The only thing I would add is that the level of commitment for autocrossing is much less than tracking: cheaper, less wear and tear on the car, less dangerous, usually more local. You can try autocross and if you like it, stepping up to track days will be easy. Lots of guys just go right to tracking, though.

I autocrossed for ten years before I found out about track days, and I'm glad I did. i learned so much about car control that the addition of more speed and other cars was not as big a deal. I often tell people that if you love driving, going from autocross to track is like going from pot to heroin--it is way more intense on all levels, which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. I still autocross occasionally, but for me any excuse to drive the shit out of the Z/28 is a good one!

Mark
markstoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin15 View Post

After watching the racing for a few hours I have to say it was rather boring. The different classes raced 5 times each and I found myself just looking at the cars as the smaller classes raced. I attended this race at the invite of a friend of mine who owns a 69' Camaro and it was cool to see him race. For those that do this type of racing I can see why some like it. I just can't see the enjoyment of racing around a track in 2nd gear all the time.

My interest would be in stretching out the legs of my Z/28 on a road course like Mid-Ohio so, just maybe next year I might give it a shot.
You'd be naive to just go right into a road course event without testing the waters at a local autocross. As simple as an autocross looks from a spectators perspective, shit happens real fast when you enter a slalom at 40mph. The amount of focus you need will amaze you. You'll finish a run and your adrenaline will be through the roof. After a few runs you'll gauge where you are within the field and the "car guy" in you won't understand how the 150hp Miata is 2 seconds faster than your 500hp Camaro. It's humbling, and it's very addictive. No rev limiter shifts needed, and it's actually very easy on the car itself. Just a little hard on the tires.

I've done 4 local autocrosses. I've won 2, came in 2nd once and got my ass kicked on a super tight and technical course while finishing 5th. Horsepower means shit. A narrow, short car with decent suspension, great tires and a decent driver is tough to beat.

The last race I did was this past Sunday. I won my class by a good margin (small field), but my friend Bill with his lightly modded 1LE whooped me by over 2 seconds. His engine is bone-stock. Down almost 80hp, his car is a tad heavier, same dimensions, I have bigger tires, and he spanked me.

Here's my best run:

1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:55 AM   #6
Smokin19

You guys have convinced me to give it a try. I used to do professional motorcycle racing in my earlier years, not that it's the same but, learning to find the right line in corners.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #7
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Watch out for the cones, they will do some damage to that splitter.

Did 4 events, most fun I've ever had driving my car. Just remember to look ahead and walk the track if you can.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #8
Smokin19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Watch out for the cones, they will do some damage to that splitter.

Did 4 events, most fun I've ever had driving my car. Just remember to look ahead and walk the track if you can.
Doing damage to my car is something I have considered and that's something I care not to do. Exactly why I'm hesitant.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #9
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
Doing damage to my car is something I have considered and that's something I care not to do. Exactly why I'm hesitant.
Just get a beater front facia and splitter. Pick up some eBay scraps and spray paint it black. Grab some fenders too. They are pretty cheap!

The biggest crime would be not driving such a beautifully and purposefully engineered machine in it's natural habitat.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
And that's why I only did 4 events.... well that and my main competition now work opposite shifts. A splitter is replaceable, just are you willing to fork out the cash if it happens?
Dont go out and drive like a mad man. That's what I did, trying to take #1 in CAM-C on my DD MPSS tires (did it before, and man did it make people mad).

I say do an event, it's so much fun. Even if you do one, now you at least did it and used the car for what it was intended to do.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #11
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
The damage aspect is why I'm doing autocross and not a road course. I guarantee you'll do more damage to your car if you overshoot a corner on a road course, than you would smacking a cone or 2 at an autocross. Road courses have walls, gravel traps, etc. Not to mention you'll be going 2-3 times faster.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #12
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
So far, i'm the opposite, I track. I do plan to do some auto-x in Texas this fall though. My hats off to those who auto-x I watch lots of video and although video doesn't portray the whole picture, some of it is hard for my eyes to follow. You need good off the cuff reaction, I am sure its different in person but I find my eye balls not being able to keep up sometimes.

The track is so much more appealing to me, and knock on wood, no incidents. I have definitely been present for some though, just last week a C5 was totaled as he over drove himself and the barrier chewed him up.

My main reason for autocrossing this fall will be to "get it out of my system" between track days in the Z, so Iwill be auto crossing the HHR (hopefully), strictly for giggles to occupy time between actual track days.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote