Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #29
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
That sucks man, number 7 and 8 are the leanest holes. Wrong plug for nitrous. Period. You can't run a number 6 plug on a boost/nitrous combo.

I know you have been patient man, hang in there, I know you will get it all sorted out and fixed up. Probably needs a number 8 to start with to see what the plug looks like, then adjust and tune from there.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #30
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
and I'm f*#king done!!

Was told today the the number 8 piston needs to be replaced and the trans is slipping bad in 1st gear. Don't know the extent of the trans damage yet because it was not opened up.

Car was fantastic on the dyno. Struggled to make 4 passes last Friday. Got the stabilitrak and check engine light mid pass on run 4. Shut it down as fast as I could.

Simply posting this as to many like to know what's going on. Well, here's exactly what's going on.

This is the plug that was taken out. It still a ZR1 plug.

Currently gathering my thoughts on what to do next.
Damn man, that really sucks. But it's also an eye opener for me. I need to decide what I'm doing here too and maybe find a way to be happy if I hit the 10's and leave it alone. The reality is, and you've shown us all is these cars are amazing, but at those power levels Can and Will break. I have that invincible, or "it won't happen to me" feeling sometimes, but being naive will eventually get me in trouble.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Good luck with the re-build and let us know how it's going when you find time and what happened. Since I'm running N2O now it would be good to know if the damage is related.

Thanks.

I am running a PLX AFR gauge but don't always log. Sounds like a good idea though as it might detect trouble early on.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #31
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I would be finding a new person to fix my car. Sorry to hear about your frustrations yet again man. Granted things do break but shit you just got done fixing it.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #32
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
Sorry to hear about your car. I would be asking the tuner what the hell happened. If it ran out of fuel that's on them.
As I always understood, I took it down the track so I assume the responsibility.

Maybe that's wrong but Ill own up to making mistakes, while other will point fingers and defer the blame.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #33
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Id lay off the juice, Its nice and all but with all your problems recently you just need a nice conservative and durable car. And we all know your going to be toying with that C7 too .

Good luck with this, its a shame that it happened the first time and this one is just heartbreaking.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #34
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
That sucks man, number 7 and 8 are the leanest holes. Wrong plug for nitrous. Period. You can't run a number 6 plug on a boost/nitrous combo.

I know you have been patient man, hang in there, I know you will get it all sorted out and fixed up. Probably needs a number 8 to start with to see what the plug looks like, then adjust and tune from there.
Thanks for the talk over the weekend. It shows a lot when you take that much time to talk to a stranger.

Thank you very much.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #35
Rhino79

The juice didn't kill this setup. Lack of the right setup killed it. There are a lot of nitrous/sc combos, we are doing a zr1 at work now. Its a killer combo, but it has to be right. You can not spray a projected tip plug. Not for long anyways.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #36
Rhino79

Quote:
Thanks for the talk over the weekend. It shows a lot when you take that much time to talk to a stranger.

Thank you very much.
Your welcome Jamie, if we can help ya out in any way or you want to bounce any ideas off of me, pm me any time, hell i'll give ya my cell number. Im always available.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #37
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Quote:
As I always understood, I took it down the track so I assume the responsibility.

Maybe that's wrong but Ill own up to making mistakes, while other will point fingers and defer the blame.
Very noble and gracious attitude. I'm sure your builder/tuner loves it too.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #38
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
Sucks to hear this. A few things I have learned on this crazy HP journey.....
For one thing, a dyno pull is nowhere near as hard on things as a full run. I have experienced where everything looks great on the dyno, and then on a full pass fuel pressure drops, temps are higher, afr's can get wacky. The best thing is to log full passes starting with easy runs and working to full throttle runs to make sure everything is good.
This season, I drove my car almost daily, with never any issue at all. Nothing... but every time I went to the track, I broke something. I am starting to consider keeping my car a fun 10 second driver, and maybe get something else just for the track if I get that bug next year. A dedicated track car can be put together with different considerations, and not be so sensitive.
My immediate plan is to fix this engine and trans. Drop the rwhp quite a bit and lay off racing it. Which will not be a problem with the shitty taste the 2013 season has been.

The rest of the car is built to handle the abuse. A few areas need to be addressed.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #39
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
Zr1 plug... ?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #40
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper View Post
Zr1 plug... ?
Yup
Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #41
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
Quote:
That'd be me. And the trans too.
Edit: two sides to every story and I jumped to conclusions.

Last edited by Camper; 10-22-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #42
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper View Post
No comment from Jannetty on the retarded plug?

Job security? Really to bad...

He made no comment on using that plug at all.

Closed Thread