Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Tool loaner program idea for the forum

Hi guys- I saw something like this on a non-automotive forum and I thought it might be something that could work here.

Here is my idea- I recently installed a camshaft in my SS, and I bought about $240 dollars worth of special tools to accomplish the job. I have a crank pulley removal tool; crank pulley installation tool; Lifter holding rods; A/C belt installation tool; and valve spring compression tool for doing the springs with the heads installed.

I am thinking that if there is enough interest in something like this, we can pass these tools around to different members in the forum to borrow so they can do the job on a budget.

There would have to be some rules, for instance, I wouldn't ship my tools off to someone who just signed up to the forum. The borrower must be a member in good standing, with no negative reviews, etc. This could be a cool program, but not if someone borrows the tools and keeps them.

What do you guys think? This isn't something I can start right away because I am moving this month and still don't know where I will end up. If there is significant interest, February might work to kick things off.

Do you guys have any ideas as to how to make this work? Is it just a stupid idea? I would have to see a lot of interest from members here before I go to the trouble of working out all of the logistics and rules, etc.

Let me know what you guys think...
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
I like it! Like you, I did the exact same thing when I did my install work.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
Vegas Bound

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Any time I need a specialty tool, I go to O'Reillys. All it takes is a valid DL.
TBD 1/4 mile
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
I like it! Like you, I did the exact same thing when I did my install work.
I thought that it would be a cool way to give back to the forum. There might not be as much interest as I thought, but I still wanted to float the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
Any time I need a specialty tool, I go to O'Reillys. All it takes is a valid DL.
We will count you out then. Thanks for responding.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 01-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
It's a great idea however once you introduce the human element it gets really muddy. Like you said what if someone keeps the tool there is no real recourse other than to ban them from the forum. You also have situations where say I loan a tool and you think it will only take you a month to do your project and but it ends up taking you two or three months cause life gets in the way well now I am out my tool and may need it. I think in general people would respect the program and use it well but there will eventually be someone who ruins it.

I think it may be better to just sell the tools for say 75% of what you paid then you don't have to worry about getting them returned. In theory then that guy can sell it again for 75% and so on until there is a network of cheap tools being sold around.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
It's a great idea however once you introduce the human element it gets really muddy. Like you said what if someone keeps the tool there is no real recourse other than to ban them from the forum. You also have situations where say I loan a tool and you think it will only take you a month to do your project and but it ends up taking you two or three months cause life gets in the way well now I am out my tool and may need it. I think in general people would respect the program and use it well but there will eventually be someone who ruins it.

I think it may be better to just sell the tools for say 75% of what you paid then you don't have to worry about getting them returned. In theory then that guy can sell it again for 75% and so on until there is a network of cheap tools being sold around.
Good input. thank you. Yes, I agree that there is a very high likelyhood that this program could be ruined by a bad apple. It might not even be worth trying. I just thought it might be a way to help others out because I've learned so much from this forum. I don't want to sell the tools because I'll likely be switching cams again before I'm done.
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes

Last edited by zlathim; 01-02-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Good input. thank you. Yes, I agree that there is a very high likelyhood that this program could be ruined by a bad apple. It might not even be worth trying. I just thought it might be a way to help others out because I've learned so much from this forum.
You can always get a deposit for them on Paypal and return the money when they return the tools. That way you are protected.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
You can always get a deposit for them on Paypal and return the money when they return the tools. That way you are protected.
Another great idea. Thanks!!
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 01-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
ybnormal70

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Read up on how they rent out the fender roller tool:

https://www.urotuning.com/Fender-Rol...ler_rental.htm

You would need shipment tracking, deposits and time deadlines to make it work. There are many websites that rent the fender tools and I'm sure they have refined it thru years of issues on both sides. Read up on them.

Kevin
ybnormal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #10
zz430camaro

Yes, deadlines are also very important, miss the deadline and you bought the tools!
Old 01-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #11
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybnormal70 View Post
Read up on how they rent out the fender roller tool:

https://www.urotuning.com/Fender-Rol...ler_rental.htm

You would need shipment tracking, deposits and time deadlines to make it work. There are many websites that rent the fender tools and I'm sure they have refined it thru years of issues on both sides. Read up on them.

Kevin
Thanks, Kevin. Will do!
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 01-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
It's a neat idea if people are up for it, but not to be a buzz kill, I have to second Vegas Bound's response that most auto parts stores offer loaner tools for a driver's license or a fully refundable deposit.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #13
zz430camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
It's a neat idea if people are up for it, but not to be a buzz kill, I have to second Vegas Bound's response that most auto parts stores offer loaner tools for a driver's license or a fully refundable deposit.
Not special LS engine tools.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #14
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
Not special LS engine tools.
I was thinking the same thing. Autozone has universal ball joint presses, cooling system pressure testers, etc. All universal fit. I am aware of these programs and have used them in years past. Go in and asked them for an LS valve spring compressor, and I guarantee you wont end up with something that is easily usable.

No skin off my nose either way. I'm happy to throw the tools in my box and forget about them until I need them again.
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes