Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #43
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
I don't have plans to track my car, but the 1LE package was too good of a deal to pass up. I always wonder when I see someone with a non 1LE 2013 why they chose that route. There is really no negative aspects of the 1LE package.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #44
Dallas90

Drives: Victory Red 2013 SS/RS Dual Mode
I was stretching the budget to reach 2SS. Took several pay cuts over the last 10 years, and company I work for is now coming out of BK. Thing are looking up finally, but ZL1, and 1LE was just a bridge too far. Love the wheels though.
Dallas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #45
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
I don't have plans to track my car, but the 1LE package was too good of a deal to pass up. I always wonder when I see someone with a non 1LE 2013 why they chose that route. There is really no negative aspects of the 1LE package.
Haha. In that case you could wonder why everyone didnt buy the ZL1, no negative aspects there either.

Oh yeah, money.

Im definitely not impressed with the P-Zeros. I would also rate them at "acceptable".
Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #46
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas90 View Post
I was stretching the budget to reach 2SS. Took several pay cuts over the last 10 years, and company I work for is now coming out of BK. Thing are looking up finally, but ZL1, and 1LE was just a bridge too far. Love the wheels though.
For what it is worth, the 1LE package cost just about the same as the 2SS upgrade over the 1SS. I guess its individual preference. For me the performance was much more important than the 2SS bells and whistles, so it was 1LE for me!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #47
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Personally, this ongoing junk about flat spots is way overblown. Yes, I have felt them, but after some driving, they smooth out. It's the price you pay for a softer compound tire.

Oh, my I have a flat spot, that goes aay after a few miles of driving. Run for the hills, Storm the castle, let's burn 'em down.

Just thinking this is a bit of an over reaction.

But to each their own. I love my car, I love the handling, and I haven't had issues with these tires at all!

Last edited by greenrail; 05-17-2013 at 12:35 PM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #48
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xSSRS View Post
+1
BINGO! Absolutely!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #49
Dallas90

To each their own is the surest truth.
As a pilot, I stay tuned in to feedback from the machine. I guess some think that's too much... so be it. I can't ignore the feedback, and I'm pretty sure when your in the back of my plane you don't want me to. Also, while i'm off on a trip, the car usually sits for 3 days. That probably causes more intense flat spotting so I'll admit this has at least two good reasons to be more of a problem for me than the usual owner.
I don't find these tires to be acceptable, I apologize to those that feel offended by such an audacious statement but I'm sure there a better tires than these and I'm sure there are worse.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #50
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Theres nothing wrong with a little flat spotting it rolls away pretty quickly and is indemic with softer rubber higher grip tires. Ours are low profile if your nostolgic for some old rubber you will feel like your floating with big balloons for tires and the cornering waiting to rip the wheel off the rim if you go to fast.........Thats the way older performance tires were and are with higher sidewalls. I use the tires in oregon, your in texas. Drive through the first pair then get what you want. I use them in heavy rain and even snow and you dont hear me rippin on em. Frankly I think the wear rating bites at 220 and will buy longer lasting probably stiffer tires next set with 440 or 480 wear rating all season performance and they may suck? And cost more.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #51
Dallas90

You like them, that's great. But my standards for them are a lot different than yours, don't think you should have a problem that.... some folks drive Mustangs too. I also remember "older performance tires" a bit differently than you. I have a "Driver of the year 1982" plaque on my wall that was hard to win, but that might not be as far back as you meant. Watched many races from 1/4 dirt to F1 and lots in between, have yet to see anyone roll a tire off a bead. (Did see a guy lose a whole wheel assembly and finish a Solo 1 autocross run on the rotor).
I do think you'll be able to find tires that do a better job for you and perhaps with good tread life, but your probably right about the cost.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #52
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
just look at tirerack bud theres a lot more options out there for brands and sets than there used to be for a camaro, I know i will get some new tires its just a matter of time and tread depth.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #53
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I guess I'm not lucky enough to live somewhere where the roads are so smooth and groomed that I can actually feel flat spotting... The stiff 2SS is bouncy enough, I could most likely be missing a wheel and it would take me a few minutes to figure something's wrong...
I put 20k on my p zeroes and still have a full summer left on the fronts. The rears are shot.
Never had an issue. Drove them in torrential rain and actually through the first winter with no problems. Second winter got nasty so put on some winter tires.
They hold a good line, never greasy, never break loose, no complaints. Will probably go with them again next summer.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #54
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Haha. In that case you could wonder why everyone didnt buy the ZL1, no negative aspects there either.

Oh yeah, money.
So you are comparing a ZL1 $60,000 car to a $3500 option (1LE) on a SS?

I got my car for 41k otd, stickered for 43.5k. They took $1500 off sticker before I even walked in the door (internet sales).

So basically I got the 1LE & RS package for free with my rebates/haggling. It's all in how you work the deal.

I don't think it's possible to get a ZL1 for the price of a regular SS is it?

Last edited by CamaroTom; 05-18-2013 at 10:41 AM.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #55
danl

Drives: 2013 JSB Camaro 2ss
I solved the factory tire issue, I just got new wheel and tires.
I love the Nitto NT-05! Grip and hug like no tire I have ever owned, or driven.
And despite what some internet writer may have said, they do well in rain.
driving on the freeway here in SoCal in the rain, does not slow me down any at all.

But, to each their own
Attached Images

danl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #56
Dallas90

Can the folks that have changed tires already, give some feedback. So far, i've got 1300 miles on it. Totaly stock, already have the CAGS eliminator setting on my work bench. Planning no engine mods at this time, but looking at the factory strut tower brace and down the road a few months the Hotchkis Max Brace. Would love to hear from somone with those suspension mods as to what tires they are running. So far I'm looking at GoodYear Eagle GT, Mich Pilot, and I keep hearing about the Nitto so I'm going to give them a look. Obviously Pirelli is not making my list.