Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #309
LadyinBlue

Drives: 260HP/242TQ
Not your little truck - the thing Fen posted!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #310
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
That's what I'm saying. It's exactly what everyone asks GM for but nobody seems to like it.

The car-based utes basically are the S-10 and Sonoma of today. There really isn't a market for compact trucks anymore. Hell even the midsize truck market is a gamble, Ford isn't too keen on resurrecting their midsize program or bringing the global Ranger to the NA market.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #311
LadyinBlue

Drives: 260HP/242TQ
Our last vehicle purchase was a few months ago when we picked up a '94 Ranger for our youngest son who is heading off to Hocking College next month. 65k miles on it so we're hoping it'll last him a while. Took us a year to find a decent one, though, as small used trucks are a hot commodity, it seems.

So the vehicle you posted is a Ute? I guess it looks too much like a car instead of a truck for people to
take it seriously.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #312
FenwickHockey65

It's essentially a modern day El Camino.

GM builds a smaller, FWD-based model too. It's sold in Mexico and South America.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #313
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
That's what I'm saying. It's exactly what everyone asks GM for but nobody seems to like it.

The car-based utes basically are the S-10 and Sonoma of today. There really isn't a market for compact trucks anymore. Hell even the midsize truck market is a gamble, Ford isn't too keen on resurrecting their midsize program or bringing the global Ranger to the NA market.
It took me a while to find a good S10 in my price range, there seems to be millions running around but very few for sale. And those that are for sale they are asking way over market value for them. It's hard to believe there isn't a market for them the way people are holding on to the ones they have now. There just needs to be a greater difference in cost and MPG between the small truck and the full sized trucks for sale now.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #314
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
Quote:
Well there's this. Nobody seems to like them but they're exactly what everyone asks for.

are you kidding me!!! theses things are the shit. the HSV variants are even sicker. every one i saw in australia was tricked out loud and fast. i think they are awsome
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #315
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

Well, with Ford & Dodge out of the game everybody else can get a bigger slice of the pie now.

I think the main problem that the smaller trucks face is was an engineering push to 'go bigger' -higher towing, more payload, bigger engines, etc. But from anything I've heard, people who want smaller trucks generally weren't asking for improvements there. They want something with a bed for oversized/bulk cargo (its hard to haul gravel in an SUV) or maybe they've got a snowmobile/jet ski or something that only weighs a few hundred pounds. They don't need a truck thats capable of towing 3 tons (let alone the 4 or 5 ton capacity of some half ton pickups). By and large, they wanted something that was efficient & small enough to not be cumbersome when driving around in town.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #316
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Ford's pushing companies into the Transit Connect for light hauling, and into full size trucks for heavier hauling. Crash safety and roll-over standards were the reason Ford said they were getting out of the small truck market. Meeting the standards brought the price of the Ranger up to the price of a F-150. If GM has success with a small pick-up, it might encourage Ford to rethink it's position.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #317
jcmG8

Drives: G8GT
Fast forward to 5:20 to see the ute that we could have had:

youtube

Last edited by jcmG8; 07-02-2013 at 11:51 PM.
jcmG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #318
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Well, with Ford & Dodge out of the game everybody else can get a bigger slice of the pie now.

I think the main problem that the smaller trucks face is was an engineering push to 'go bigger' -higher towing, more payload, bigger engines, etc. But from anything I've heard, people who want smaller trucks generally weren't asking for improvements there. They want something with a bed for oversized/bulk cargo (its hard to haul gravel in an SUV) or maybe they've got a snowmobile/jet ski or something that only weighs a few hundred pounds. They don't need a truck thats capable of towing 3 tons (let alone the 4 or 5 ton capacity of some half ton pickups). By and large, they wanted something that was efficient & small enough to not be cumbersome when driving around in town.

Ford/Ram out of the game?

Ford like GM is reintroducing a truck that is smaller than the current full size.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/18/f...r-replacement/

Ram has a truck if they want to bring it to market as well.
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/dakota-2012.html

So I would not call them out of the game.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #319
05stram

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Ford's pushing companies into the Transit Connect for light hauling, and into full size trucks for heavier hauling. Crash safety and roll-over standards were the reason Ford said they were getting out of the small truck market. Meeting the standards brought the price of the Ranger up to the price of a F-150. If GM has success with a small pick-up, it might encourage Ford to rethink it's position.
Transit Connect redone for 2014 still cost more than the old Econoline fleet. I see the TC series as just a pass through until Ford gets to where it feels the market is safe to reintroduce the E150 then you will see it back on the market. The TC a Turkish built van cannot be real prosperous for them in fleet sales.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #320
05stram

Quote:
Originally Posted by right to travel View Post
are you kidding me!!! theses things are the shit. the HSV variants are even sicker. every one i saw in australia was tricked out loud and fast. i think they are awsome

I want to own at least two of these

Last edited by 05stram; 07-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #321
FenwickHockey65

Opel Insignia Country Tourer.

GM's answer to the Audi Allroad.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #322
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
Ford/Ram out of the game?

Ford like GM is reintroducing a truck that is smaller than the current full size.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/18/f...r-replacement/

Ram has a truck if they want to bring it to market as well.
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/dakota-2012.html

So I would not call them out of the game.
If you are standing on the sidelines not taking part in the action, then you're not in the game.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions