Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-26-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Round 2: Overkill 8 Rib Supercharger setup...installed. LOLA getting blown

Well...im back. Back from a long...hard...winter and past fall season with another kit.

The previous kit had some quality to it. Produced good numbers. But it couldnt get off the ground. And after a winter of issues and manufacturing..."problems"....I have moved on to bigger and better things.

Many of you remember the KPE kit i was helping put together and things were looking promising and i just fell off the face of the earth. I apologize for that. We ran into troubles and could not get the car right. January came around and i still couldnt get the car right. So I parted ways.

I have partnered with Overkill Motorsport in working on development of the 8 rib kit, and everything I have to say so far has been positive.

I would like to thank Jims Pro Auto in Osage Beach for the help/rack time, and my best friend David Ronkoski for the help two weekends ago. I would have posted this sooner, but have been down and out with pneumonia ever since.

Little bit of boost in the backseat here....

From Fully clothed to naked in about 15 minutes...its like ive done this before...

I did the install in about a day with very little trouble. I have KEPT my old piping to try a few things to the piping looks a little different than what the Overkill setup will be like, but the main points (supercharger, power steering, brackets, W/W setup) are the same.

The pulley system is incredible. Very simple to install, very easy to make belt and pulley changes (10 seconds...seriously). No alignment issues. And best of all... NO IDLER PULLEYS!!!! And, well, yeah, that 8 Rib goodness

The power steering system. HOLY. COW. This is one of the best features of the new kit. Simple to install. Clean and OEM looking, oh wait, because it uses OEM parts! No more clutter in the engine bay, and its out of the way now. And no more restriction of the fluid, so you wont have any whine from the power steering pump.
Original....
Updated

Instead of using the existing return line and running an extension off of it, i went ahead and removed the line off of the power steering cooler with a 10mm socket and ran a 3/8" line directly from it to the return line fitting on the reservoir. Much cleaner, simpler. This will be an update in all kits.

Notice the power steering line right above the piping

Now for the bracket install. The brackets are incredibly easy to install. There is one bolt (currently) that holds it to the block, and one that runs through the side into the original power steering mount. Very simple, very stable. A new update is coming that will run the outer plate directly through to the block as well, reducing even more flex and creating a more solid connection between the entire system.

Now the ONLY downside to the install was bending the AC line up by the radiator. It is scary. But easy to do. The reason we are bending the AC line is that since the supercharger is moved farther toward the front of the car, the air intake tube bumps it, so we need to make a bit more clearance.
Best way for me to do it was with a screwdriver to use as the item to put against the line to take the pressure, and use a small crowbar to actually bend the line. Go slow, do not push hard, as the aluminum line will easily bend. Also rotate the pressure sensor to the drivers side and down and out of the way as much as possible

Once all buttoned up, i installed the windshield washer bottle. Its functional for all of you daily drivers out there. It also installs on factory stud locations so no more drilling!!!!

This should be done before the kit is shipped, but there is a little "nipple" on the side of the pump that needs to be trimmed off if not there. Ill try and get a picture of it next time im at the car.

So key take aways with this kit.
Power steering: Simply amazing. Run the 3/8" power steering line along the frame rail for added cleanliness. Also, use GM Spec power steering fluid. You will notice the factory fluid is CLEAR. Not red like most fluid you get. You CAN run whatever you would like, but GM spec is synthetic, and not much more. I only needed 1.5 pints for my system.

Daily Driver-ability:
The ability to cut belt and drive home is so simple here if you run into a problem while being out and about and need to limp the car home. Literally 10 seconds to drop the belt if you have a 3/8" ratchet with you, or simply cut the belt, and flash your NA tune and drive home. You couldnt do that with any of the other kits. Had to actually remove the super charger, change belts, etc. EASILY a 30-45 minute job, requiring multiple tools/hands, etc. THIS right here is a HUGE selling point for me.

The new pulley setup that has it on a hub system, and allows you to change pulley sizes in minutes, and far less expensive now that its a whole ecosystem and just ONE hub is incredibly genius. One hub, 8 pulley sizes.....yes please.

And...here is the first start up vid. I am sorry i dont have more video or pictures of the car running yet. As i said, i have been out with pneumonia, so working on getting back on my feet.

If you have questions, want more pictures, etc, comment here, or contact Will at willoverkill@gmail.com

Some random pictures i have...

JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group

Last edited by derek1387; 02-26-2017 at 11:19 PM.
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:37 PM   #2
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
great write up Derek. Didnt think of running a 3/8 hose all the way to the cooler. As far the PS fluid, did you use Dex 6? Thats what my manual states but is red however the napa(valvoline) is FS.

If you wouldnt mind posting a more clear pic of the AC line being pushed out of the way that would be really helpful whenever you can. Even on the IPF kit the AC line pokes the hose just enough to be annoying.

edit: just read the 2012 manual and like you said recommends the GM PS fluid. Mine says DEX 6. We have the same OEM PS pump number so I guess as long as the fluid is synthetic its ok...

Last edited by Lil' Nasty; 02-26-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:24 AM   #3
derek1387

I ran the Prestone GM spec stuff. $10 a pint! Ugh!

I will take some pictures of the AC lines when I can finally make it out of my house. Struggling right now to just go back to work and I work from home!

And this is my build. In a nutshell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

Old 02-27-2017, 03:01 AM   #4
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Gonna install the 80 TB?
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:02 AM   #5
derek1387

I will yes. Some of my parts are in storage at the moment and just have to get them dug out. Promised Will I would get everything running and up for questions and keep this updated :-)

JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 02-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Cool. Will be interested in seeing what you have got going. Thanks Derek!
Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
derek1387

Thanks.

First hit showed 9.4psi.

And I know I have boost leaks. But it's running. Just gotta get over the sickness and get out there and go through it

JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 02-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #8
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Get well soon D!!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:26 PM   #9
derek1387

Finally got it back out. Running 10.5-11PSI, runs GREAT. Need to do some fine tuning and possibly drop the pulley size down.

The Monster Clutch along with the supercharger makes a HUGE difference. Pulls for DAYS

And boy, have i missed that supercharger whine and blow off.

Videos to come over the next few days!
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 03-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Soooo glad to hear you are feeling better and back at working on the car. Strangely enough my health has also improved but I'll be headed for another surgery 2 weeks from today for my left shoulder but as soon as that's healed I'll be installing my Frankenstein Overkill/IPF kit as well. Just sent Will an email tonight. Can't wait for some video updates. Good job and great write up. Thank you.
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays

Last edited by Shawno72; 03-07-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #11
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
I also like the location of your catch can
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:20 PM   #12
derek1387

Sent over my first couple data logs to Will this evening for a re-tune. Should be a big difference after we get the fueling where it needs to be.

Car is running good. Spent the last two days claying and polishing, ready to get it out for the spring time!
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 03-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #13
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
So much want. My car looks faster than it is, but it was supposed to just be something to drive to work and things got out of hand.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #14
derek1387

I definitely understand. I got a little discouraged with the last setup and had actually considered trading Lola in and just getting a new canvas to work from.

Glad I stuck around. This season is looking promising. First track day for our newly paved tour course is in 2 weeks. Trying to be ready for that.

Just keep building as you can and it will get where you want!

JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio