Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Taking care of a black car?

What has any one herd is the best over all way to polish a black car while not over doing it in one area and keeping the whole car evened out over all.

I have been told to do the fallowing. Correct any thing that is not recommended.
1. Wash the car.
2. Clay the car.
3. Wash car again.
4. Apply polish to one area at a time using a wet/ damp electric polisher.

5. wipe of car with a micro fiber cloth and use a car duster.

Also about how often should you polish the car if you wash the car at least three times per week?

Is polishing the car more than 2 times per month, to much?

How much time does it take normaly to polish a car to look good?
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
I don't know about polishing, but I've read, and others will agree, that 100% cotton towels are the way to go when drying/wiping your car.

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
tsg1391

Drives: 79 formula 'bird, 5th gen soon
first off, if you are daily driving this car, you might start out washing it 3 times a week, but that will get old reaaall fast. plan on washing it once a week.
you probably wont have to dust it off after you wipe it off with a microfiber cloth
tsg1391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
i love having black car, but it does become a PITA keeping it clean bro...

your wash order is correct - i would only clay it on 'special occasions' tho when u do a FULL detail on the car

and don't forget waxing @ the end of it all.

check out www.detailersdomain.com tip section
Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Corvette Forum has endless volumes on this.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
frank99ta

Drives: Trans Am
OK, here you go.. First off, all microfiber towels, sponges, rags, etc.. 1)Wash the car with Dawn and rinse it well 2) clay bar the whole car to get rid of all contaminants 3) polish the paint. This is what makes the difference. When you have a black car, you use a good polish like Menzerna intensive polish with an orange pad followed by Menzerna's final polish with a yellow pad to REMOVE, not fill in any swirls, etchings, or other imperfections in the clear coat. In order to properly use these polishes, you have to invest in a porter cable. This is available at Home depot, Lowes, or any detailers site. Trying to remove swirls in the paint by hand is virtually impossible and you will end up putting more scratches in then you take out. Once you've completed this step, your car will look like wet black paint and smoothe as silk. Now you're ready for step 4) apply a sealant. This will protect your car in the long term like 6 months or so depending on if your car is in the garage or exsposed to the elements. The sealant will help protect the clear coat you just polished. You can stop after the sealant, but I usually follow up with a nice carnuba wax. The carnuba gives that final wet look. I would add a coat of carnuba every month or so. There is the recipe for a show quality black car. Maintenance will be washing once a week and plan on doing this whole process 2 to 3 times a year or less depending on if its a daily driver. For more detailed info, I would go over to autopia.org. Those guys over there know their stuff and that is where I learned. When people see my black Trans Am, they just stare in amazement because there is no swirls or spider webbing in the paint. So basically, black is a PITA. Its a love hate kind of relationship. I ordered a black 2ss/rs and there are days that I'm thinking about changing to cyber gray. Hope this helps..
frank99ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
I don't know about polishing, but I've read, and others will agree, that 100% cotton towels are the way to go when drying/wiping your car.
NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!

Sorry but cotton SUCKS to dry a black car. It will ALWAYS leave fuzz and it "holds" onto dirt FAR more then a microfiber towel. Therefor by it holding onto more dirt itll scratch the car even more. Small scratches on a black car are the death of it.

Microfiber ONLY on my car. However Ill never own another black car. Its a huge love/hate relationship with it.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
mcernik

Drives: Rally Yellow SS/RS VIN # 3931
I have a black Avalanche and have been using Zaino products for the last 5-6 years or so. http://www.zainostore.com/ I found out about their products on the Vette forums like someone above had said.

It sounds like alot of work if you read their application instructions but the stuff goes on and wipes off extremely easy. They polymer based and hold up extremely well to the elements. Much longer than a traditional carnuba based products.

The Z-6 and Z-8 smell good enuff to pour a glass and swig them down :P

I have no relationship whatsoever to zaino, their products rock, check them out.
mcernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
So what is is needed with this Zaino??? like what do I need to buy first..because I don't have anything...
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!

Sorry but cotton SUCKS to dry a black car. It will ALWAYS leave fuzz and it "holds" onto dirt FAR more then a microfiber towel. Therefor by it holding onto more dirt itll scratch the car even more. Small scratches on a black car are the death of it.

Microfiber ONLY on my car. However Ill never own another black car. Its a huge love/hate relationship with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcernik View Post
I have a black Avalanche and have been using Zaino products for the last 5-6 years or so. http://www.zainostore.com/ I found out about their products on the Vette forums like someone above had said.

It sounds like alot of work if you read their application instructions but the stuff goes on and wipes off extremely easy. They polymer based and hold up extremely well to the elements. Much longer than a traditional carnuba based products.

The Z-6 and Z-8 smell good enuff to pour a glass and swig them down :P

I have no relationship whatsoever to zaino, their products rock, check them out.
are you sure it was 100% cotton? the zaino website, above ^^^, recommends this to apply their products with. (i am being pulled both ways tho, as i've heard numerous pros/cons of microfibers vs cotton)

im still trying to figure out what will be best...

Old 10-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljustin293 View Post
So what is is needed with this Zaino??? like what do I need to buy first..because I don't have anything...
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
basically step by step instructions, including prices

Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #12
lalometalik
killer bAnana

I found these following posts, on a different thread, to be informative:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
this is direct from Zaino's web page

Zaino recommends using only Large Bath size 100% Made in USA White Cotton towels with all of our products. Cotton T-shirts are too small for polish removal and not as absorbent or fluffy as towels and most contain polyester. We have found that certain towels; especially those manufactured abroad, although they say 100% cotton. They are not; they include a blend of polyester and nylon that will definitely scratch and leave swirl marks in your paint finish. The rule of thumb is to use high quality Brand Name large bath towels (Cannon or Fieldcrest) that say 100% cotton and made in the USA. Towels sold in bags in Auto Stores are not 100% cotton. Look carefully on the bag it will probably say made in Pakistan or Bangladesh or other foreign country. Do not use these towels. They will cause swirl marks and scratches on the paint surface. Always, remove the stitching around the towel prior to use. Bargain store polish applicators also contain polyester and nylon fibers and are not to be used. Also, when washing your towels, please do not use any type of fabric softeners. Always use White towels. Do not use Colored Towels they contain dyes

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...S&Store_Code=Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
Many people have pet theories about break-ins. There are how to's, etc all over the net. My personal advice would be to follow the break in guide in the manual that comes with the car. So far, every manual I've ever seen has a break in guide.

Quite a few of the guides are based on built engines and really aren't accurate. What many guides fail to realize is that newer cars have a learning ECU. Learning ECU's will adjust to the way you drive and if you drive far outside how you normally intend to drive- the ECU will take several 100 to several 1000 miles to remap from your craziness.

I used to own a car wash and I will tell you one absolute consistancy - serious car people have "their way" of washing cars and all other ways are wrong. My pet theory on car washing is: I use cotton only towels. I use them in the bathroom for 3-4 months to break them down enough that they wick well. Always wipe from the top down. Your car should already be clean before a towel touches it, towels are for drying. Once a towel touches a wheel or tire it should be demoted to wheel or tire duty forevermore. I cut them in half at that point. I've known some people with beautiful cars that use microfiber. I think the biggest problem with microfiber is that you are made to feel like you can use it longer than you should, plus they're expensive. I've also had good luck with quick washes using a well maintained silicon squeegee. I use these after touchless gas station car washes when the car is just a little dusty.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #13
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
nothing prettier than a clean black car and nothing uglier than a dirty one. Have one now, had one before. Total PITA; but, who's bitching on a clear fall day motoring down the highway.
SWHCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!

Actually it is 100% personal preference on which one to use. Those that use only cotton claim almost this exact same thing about microfiber. There is no proof what so ever about which one is better and all claims are completely based on bias perceptions.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote