Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #1
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
ZL1 supercharger recall?

Just recieved a phone call from my salesman. He told me that there will be a recall on all 2012 and 2013 ZL1 superchargers. Mine sounds absolutely horrible, and GM tech line has denied there is a problem with my car for a year now - all the GM mechanics admit it is F*^ked up. (it rattles so loud at idle that I can hear it in the car with windows up and I can feel it through the shift knob.) My salesperson said we will get new blowers and recieve a 120,000 mile warranty extension and 10 year warranty on supercharger. Anyone have any real solid info on this?

I am done with GM, after this, the car is going and I will never buy another. They still have not corrected my rear differential noise. They deny that is an issue also...
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
ninsecgt

Drives: 2017 zl1
customer care where are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
Just recieved a phone call from my salesman. He told me that there will be a recall on all 2012 and 2013 ZL1 superchargers. Mine sounds absolutely horrible, and GM has denied there is a problem for a year now. (it rattles so loud at idle that I can hear it in the car with windows up and I can feel it through the shift knob.) My salesperson said we will get new blowers and recieve a 120,000 mile warranty extension and 10 year warranty on supercharger. Anyone have any real solid info on this?
Give customer care a call. They'll respond if they really care but I'm guessing you'll hear the same response you get when you wish for a million dollars. .................................................. .....nothing.
ninsecgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
It's all true. They are replacing them if they rattle. Talked to my dealer today.
They pulled up the bulletin today, it does exist.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I'm sorry your dealership treats you like crap. I would try finding another dealership before just swearing off all GM products. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361269
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362029
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355197 (post #20 has link to pdf of the bulletin from GM)
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/gm-iden...140005491.html

It's not a recall, just a service bulletin to repair cars showing signs of the problem. From the way I read it, the extended warranty is for the original supercharger not a new one as a new one won't have this specific problem.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
So I haven't noticed an extreme rattle of anything from mine. I believe someone posted a video on here at some point of their engine with the rattle. I really didn't hear it then.

Can anyone suggest how I could look, listen, whatever, and see if there are signs that I have a problem please? I don't really want to trust the dealer here to make the determination. So far I really think I'm fine, but I'm not a mechanic and certainly not experience with blown motors.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
It's all true. They are replacing them if they rattle. Talked to my dealer today.
They pulled up the bulletin today, it does exist.
Yup... all true.

Doesn't even matter if they are rattling or not. Get it replaced.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I'm sorry your dealership treats you like crap. I would try finding another dealership before just swearing off all GM products. Good luck getting it fixed.
He lives on Oahu. His dealership choices are limited.
I can't tell, is there just one new car dealer on the island?
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
mikepconline

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I called Chevrolet customer care. They stated as of now there is no recall just extended warranty 10 year/120,000 mile on the supercharger.
I hope the dealer service department won't give us a hard time is you just want it replace.

"I have one speed, I have one gear: Go!"
mikepconline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepconline View Post
I called Chevrolet customer care. They stated as of now there is no recall just extended warranty 10 year/120,000 mile on the supercharger.
I hope the dealer service department won't give us a hard time is you just want it replace.

Correct, it is not a recall, just a service bulletin for the issue. If it is rattling they will more than likely replace it. That's what my dealer told me anyway.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yup... all true.

Question is will they? Since the bulletin says to check for the rattle. GM stated the the shaft wear was as designed and only wore to a certain point and the debris was trapped where it wouldn't do any harm. Now they are saying that the debris can contaminate the bearings and cause them to fail. I would think they would change them all to prevent other engine damage if the bearings fail, but dont know if they will. I had no interest in changing my isolater out until this.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #12
mikepconline

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Here is the big question. Should I ask the dealer to replace it if I don't hear the rattle?

mikepconline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yup... all true.

How are you going to get it replaced if you don't have the problem yet?
Old 06-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
briancb1

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
Just recieved a phone call from my salesman. He told me that there will be a recall on all 2012 and 2013 ZL1 superchargers. Mine sounds absolutely horrible, and GM tech line has denied there is a problem with my car for a year now - all the GM mechanics admit it is F*^ked up. (it rattles so loud at idle that I can hear it in the car with windows up and I can feel it through the shift knob.) My salesperson said we will get new blowers and recieve a 120,000 mile warranty extension and 10 year warranty on supercharger. Anyone have any real solid info on this?

I am done with GM, after this, the car is going and I will never buy another. They still have not corrected my rear differential noise. They deny that is an issue also...
Thats like never buying from Samsung again since Best Buy wouldn't help me with the warranty.

The people at the dealership do not work for GM, they simply sell their products. If you don't like the dealer, go some place else. Thats always worked for me.

Remember, every car manufacture makes cars that have problems. Its how you deal with them that can seperate the good and bad experiences.
briancb1 is offline   Reply With Quote