Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Stock MyLink Spec's (2013 thru 2015)

Does anyone know the specifications on the mylink unit (Stereo Separation, s/n ratio, freqy bandwidth, etc)?
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I don't recall ever seeing the full specs ever listed (for any model).
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Junk, trash, worthless and crap that produces noise barely qualifying being called a radio.

The speakers are the equivalent of $25/pr Walmonkey specials and the radio is worth about $200. 50w x 4 @ 10% THD @ 2ohm, S/N in the 80 dB range, 80hz-17khz +/- 10dB.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Junk, trash, worthless and crap that produces noise barely qualifying being called a radio.

The speakers are the equivalent of $25/pr Walmonkey specials and the radio is worth about $200. 50w x 4 @ 10% THD @ 2ohm, S/N in the 80 dB range, 80hz-17khz +/- 10dB.
Not all of us care that much on the power the stock radio has, but its nice to see you care, i was this way 35 years ago.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Not all of us care that much on the power the stock radio has, but its nice to see you care, i was this way 35 years ago.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
headgamez

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
Does anyone know the specifications on the mylink unit (Stereo Separation, s/n ratio, freqy bandwidth, etc)?
I know that it is balanced output, and I was informed that it has approximately 8v output. Not absolutely sure, but the source is pretty reputable.
headgamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by headgamez View Post
I know that it is balanced output, and I was informed that it has approximately 8v output. Not absolutely sure, but the source is pretty reputable.
8v-> 2ohm = 32w and no, there are no reports showing they are balanced balanced outputs. Please show source. I can just about guarantee there are no resisted measurements of speaker wire or signal wire to / from the amplifier performed during production and zero quality control over the process. There is a left and right separated two channel sound but this is all done internally, there isn't even a rear channel just a 2+2 (signal is copied/split to the rear).

I've never understood the absolute fascination or public acceptance of OEM systems by non-audiophiles. Ppl think because a radio is placed in a 25k, 50k, 100k, 300k vehicle that the inherit quality is directly linked to the price of the car somehow. You cannot fathom how far from the truth this is. I actually had a guy tell me the radio was 10% cost of the vehicle once. My favorite was watching the owner of a B&W Audi system nearly have a heart attack when his car was gutted and he was shown the utter trash he paid $9,000 for as an audio upgrade.

Comparing OEM radios to aftermarket would be like comparing the Ford Model-T to a modern Ferrari. The sourced speakers cost about $1 each and the radio maybe $50. Granted, the quality gap between OEM and aftermarket has closed substantially over the last 30 years, even the most basic of aftermarket systems is 10x better. You think those $5 retail paper cones are an actual Boston Acoustic system in your vehicle?

Last edited by Snoman; 10-02-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #8
headgamez

Quote:
8v-> 2ohm = 32w and no, there are no reports showing they are balanced balanced outputs. Please show source. I can just about guarantee there are no resisted measurements of speaker wire or signal wire to / from the amplifier performed during production and zero quality control over the process. There is a left and right separated two channel sound but this is all done internally, there isn't even a rear channel just a 2+2 (signal is copied/split to the rear).

I've never understood the absolute fascination or public acceptance of OEM systems by non-audiophiles. Ppl think because a radio is placed in a 25k, 50k, 100k, 300k vehicle that the inherit quality is directly linked to the price of the car somehow. You cannot fathom how far from the truth this is. I actually had a guy tell me the radio was 10% cost of the vehicle once. My favorite was watching the owner of a B&W Audi system nearly have a heart attack when his car was gutted and he was shown the utter trash he paid $9,000 for as an audio upgrade.

Comparing OEM radios to aftermarket would be like comparing the Ford Model-T to a modern Ferrari. The sourced speakers cost about $1 each and the radio maybe $50. Granted, the quality gap between OEM and aftermarket has closed substantially over the last 30 years, even the most basic of aftermarket systems is 10x better. You think those $5 retail paper cones are an actual Boston Acoustic system in your vehicle?
Have no paper source to prove it. I gathered this information from trusted friend of mine, Natan. He is not on the forum here, but he has worked for some of the OEM divisions of Panasonic and Pioneer.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Have no paper source to prove it. I gathered this information from trusted friend of mine, Natan. He is not on the forum here, but he has worked for some of the OEM divisions of Panasonic and Pioneer.
Good enough, though honestly it's not an important spec in the grand scheme of things.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #10
headgamez

Quote:
Good enough, though honestly it's not an important spec in the grand scheme of things.

True that!! I was having some issues using the low level inputs of my bit one.1, with the reverse chimes being very low, since I had soldered RCA ends on the high level outputs from the head unit. He was concerned that the balanced signal coming from the head unit was not jiving very well with the low level inputs of the bit one, since they were unbalanced. Moving them to the high level of the bit one did clean up the level of the reverse chime drastically.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #11
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

ugh...ok, the OEM HU has a hard coded signal balancer in it to offset the cabin and speakers, basically a preset DSP/EQ. Using a bit.1 on an OEM HU unit is like using two offsetting equalizers.

I mean, you're going down the right path but I would want to choke the life out of your installer if you had one.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #12
headgamez

Quote:
ugh...ok, the OEM HU has a hard coded signal balancer in it to offset the cabin and speakers, basically a preset DSP/EQ. Using a bit.1 on an OEM HU unit is like using two offsetting equalizers.

I mean, you're going down the right path but I would want to choke the life out of your installer if you had one.
You are correct, I tried to choke myself, lol!!!! For most of my music and video, luckily, I am using the bit play HD, which is independent from the head unit.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #13
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
You are correct, I tried to choke myself, lol!!!! For most of my music and video, luckily, I am using the bit play HD, which is independent from the head unit.
Introducing a high fidelity pure input = gold