Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
imnraged

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Sub Question

Ok, I've done the research, and I'm not really interested in replacing my speakers. I just installed the FARK harness with this amp ( https://www.skaraudio.com/products/s...-car-amplifier ). Here is the link to the manual for the amp ( https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/11...K-M_manual.pdf ) It works great, but any bass the BA system had is gone. I'd like to bridge this amp to run one sub. My question is this...what specs do I need to be looking for in a subwoofer? I'd like to run a loaded enclosure of some type, preferably one from the Skar website, but it isn't necessary to a Skar.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #2
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Manual was written kinda shitty but it looks like 270W speaker @4ohms for a bridged output. If you're just looking to enhance the stock system, 150-175W is probably the neighborhood you want to be in.
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
imnraged

Will the four ohms damage the two ohm BA system? Or do I need a 2 ohm sub?

Last edited by imnraged; 09-13-2020 at 12:31 AM.
imnraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:37 AM   #4
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
why do you want to run this brand? no offense but if u put shit in u get shit out.
also which fark harness did u install? add a second amp or replace ur ba amp?
if u replaced this amp with ur ba amp check ur crossover, might be set up wrong to cancel out low frequencies(bass).
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Replacing the BA speakers in the rear will requore 2 ohms to properly work on the subwoofer outputs (6x9 in coupe) and its only 30 watts power. Skar isnt a bad brand but not SQL. they are SPL. theyll work but do not expect much better sq. if you want to do it properly. replace the 6.5 components up front and 6x9 in the rear with coaxial speakers. then run a sub and a 5ch amp. itl be better than stock. cross the fronts over at 80 and the rears ar 80 and sub at 80 and below
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #6
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
Replacing the BA speakers in the rear will requore 2 ohms to properly work on the subwoofer outputs (6x9 in coupe) and its only 30 watts power. Skar isnt a bad brand but not SQL. they are SPL. theyll work but do not expect much better sq. if you want to do it properly. replace the 6.5 components up front and 6x9 in the rear with coaxial speakers. then run a sub and a 5ch amp. itl be better than stock. cross the fronts over at 80 and the rears ar 80 and sub at 80 and below
if your running sql speakers & amp and toss in a spl sub and amp, is the sound that noticeable throughout the entire volume range when compared to a sql sub & amp?

edit: as to skar, they're generic Asian amps with a swapped heatsink at a 1000 to 1500% markup. u can find the same amps on alibaba.....minus the heatsink, unless kevin(infamous skar owner/ceo) changed things up. customer service is a big zero which means no luck on warrantees but at those prices they're just re&re.

Last edited by bottletalk; 09-13-2020 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added schtuff!
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
if your running sql speakers & amp and toss in a spl sub and amp, is the sound that noticeable throughout the entire volume range when compared to a sql sub & amp?

edit: as to skar, they're generic Asian amps with a swapped heatsink at a 1000 to 1500% markup. u can find the same amps on alibaba.....minus the heatsink, unless kevin(infamous skar owner/ceo) changed things up. customer service is a big zero which means no luck on warrantees but at those prices they're just re&re.
I have some of the best budget SQL stuff. Helix DSP, AudioControl amps, and some of the highest quality component speakers (Morel 3 ways) and yes theres a huge difference. i am running BT aptX optical into my DSP.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
imnraged

I just need to know specs on a subwoofer based on the information I provided. I'm trying to do something on the cheap because I don't have the money to upgrade everything right now. The Skar amp was only $140 and the speakers came with the car. LOL I just need subwoofer specs to make it work for as long as possible.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:28 AM   #9
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
So if I am understanding this correctly, you replaced the factory amp with this one and left all the factory speakers? If that is the case and your running the amp at 2ohms for the 2ohm factory speakers, you'd want a 2ohm sub to go with it since you're not buying a separate sub amp. I personally haveKicker CompVR 43CVR102's in my car. They are $100 on Crutchfield.
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
byrds8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
imnraged

byrds8, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you. It actually sounds really good with just the amp after adjustments, but the bass is really lacking. I'm looking to correct that.