Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #85
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
Necroposting for a work around solution

Well folks, it is now 2020, and this thread has not had a response since 2014. I see more than a few of you have had this problem. I have a 2015 SS, the last model year of the fifth generation, and even my car is not exempt from this issue. It still happens from time to time. I don't have a permanent solution, but I have figured out a sort of cause and effect scenario and a work around to get the OnStar mirror to shut off when the issue does arrise. I figured it significant enough to share and bring this old thread back from the dead once more.

So, the first time this happened to me was right when I was storing the car for the winter and I neglected to notice the mirror was still on once shutting the car off. The car sat parked for 3-4 weeks without being started and it completed wrecked my battery. This was in 2017, and I had to buy a brand new battery for the car. The second time it happened, I'd parked the car in the driveway, and it sat for 24 hours, and we came home the next night and when we pulled into the driveway in my wife's car she said "Why are the lights still on in your Camaro" ? I grabbed the keys and went right out to figure it out.

What I have determined is that there is some flaw with the system (Obviously). What seems to be the cause is being connected to OnStar directions or even in the middle of a phone call via bluetooth when you shut the car off. This holds true even if you receive a text message and don't hit "dismiss" before shutting the car off. So, every time you stop, park the car and get ready to shut it off, before doing so, hang up the call you're on, dismiss any text messages, or end the OnStar Directions before turning the ignition off.

If you forget, and the mirror stays on even after opening the door to exit the car, I have figured out a work around to get it turned off. Start the car back up, connect your phone via bluetooth and call someone. Drive the car down the street, turn around and come back. End the call, turn off the Bluetooth on your phone, then shut the car off and open the door. the mirror lights should shut off when you open the door now.

Is it a pain? Yes, but at least you'll know a way to get it to turn off if it happens to you again. I just got in the habit of making sure every call was over and the Bluetooth on my phone shut off before ever shutting the car off to avoid this problem. Tonight I had a text message I had forgotten to "dismiss" and it caused it. I sent my wife in the house then drove the car to the end of the street and came back, calling her on the way and hanging up and shutting the Bluetooth off on my phone handset before shutting the car off and the mirror shut off when I opened the door. It reminded me of this thread from way back when, and I decided to come in and share this work around so when it happens again to any of you, you'll know how to get it "unstuck." Hope this helps!
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote