Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Fixed the Felt (suede shifter and steering wheel)

When I started on this forum a few years ago the subject of cleaning our suede shifter knob and suede steering wheel kept coming up over and over. I maintained to each new OP, at that time, that all you needed was regular use of a nubuck block and brush to keep your knob and wheel clean and the suede fibers standing at attention saluting you with reverence.

And then 1.5 years later my suede stood no longer and the shifter became smooth and slippery. I gave up. My furry nob was now like touching a plastic ball.

But today I decided to watch some YouTube videos on caring for your alcantera suede. This video in particular was good with the host showing his method on a Pur Blanc Bugatti Veyron.

In a nutshell he says to:
  • 1) Apply a carpet cleaner to one of the following depending on your amount of soil
  • 2a) microfiber cloth (least soil)
  • 2b) detail brush (more soil)
  • 2c) scour pad (most soil)
  • 3) use a vacuum to get the fibers to stand up once again

After watching this I went over to O'Reilly's and picked up Armor All Tuff Stuff with the included snap-on Scrub Cap. I also got a cheap detail brush for $1.99 from there.

At home I grabbed a microfiber cloth and repeatedly squirted a half-dollar sized dollop of the Tuff Stuff foam on the cloth and gently scrubbed the shifter knob and wheel. I was simply amazed how much dirt came off. Half of my microfibre cloth was visibly soiled. Filthy. I'm more of a dirt ball than I care to imagine!

After this I also used the included Scrub Cap that came with the Tuff Stuff cleaner. This seems to nicely agitate the fibers and they began to somewhat stand at attention.

Finally I tried the vacuum method using my shop vac. This resulted in both visible and touch-based evidence that the shift knob was no longer smooth and slippery but seemingly furry again.

I just went outside now to move the car and was pleasantly surprised by what I'd forgotten since 2013. Wow! It seems that old furry shift knob has come back to life.

Best of luck to anyone who tries this.

-CRT

Last edited by CrystalRedTintcoat; 10-24-2016 at 12:47 AM.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:16 AM   #2
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Great video and very informative post.

I wish this was posted when I was new. That suede kit I bought which was what everyone recommended at that time actually stripped the suede from my shifter and thankfully I stopped before I did damage to my steering wheel. My suede knob had bald spots. One of the main reasons I have a MGW shifter now.

A very similar method, the one I use now for my steering wheel:
Old 12-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
giving this cleaning tip write up a try.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #4
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Nice!
Old 12-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Outstanding!
Thx CRT
Old 12-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
I cleaned the steering wheel and shifter on my car today utilizing some of this info and I am stunned on how brand new they look again. My shifter was so matted it looked glossy like smooth leather and the top left portion of the steering wheels was getting there. I thank you guys a lot for this write up too as I could not have done it without this.

I used just water on a micro rag (damp) and gently used a bounce/ scuff action to clean and get the fibers to go from flat to a lifted look. My white cloth was brown when done. I then took a small medium short bristle art brush and worked the fibers some more. I then used a dry micro rag and repeated the bounce / scuff action. I could then see minor spots that were still dirty because the fibers looked just a bit different. After going back and forth between the moist rag then brush and then dry rag it looked brand new. I then used the wet/dry vac and lifted the fibers some more like the videos followed by one last brush and it looks like it just came from the factory.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
XtremeBowtie

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE Camaro / 1963 C-10
Best. Post. Ever.
XtremeBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
BossRS4

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
My shifter and steering wheel was not that bad, but after giving it a solid cleaning it felt a million times better.

I tried this Griots interior cleaner and it works very well for suede and almost anything in the interior!

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ior+cleaner.do
45% Tint on Windshield
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Oracle Afterburner Tail Lights
Oracle LED Sidemarkers
RDP Tune
TSP Long Tube Headers
Forza Componenti 3-Way Exhaust Controller
ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill
BossRS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I just use some resolve upholstery cleaner, watered down pretty good and a micro fiber cloth and a soft bristle toothbrush (gently). I try to keep up on it and it still looks very good

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk