Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #29
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post
Ok, I'll bite. How exactly did France cheat in the 98 World Cup?
They manipulated the group draws to ensure all the big countries were in the other side of the bracket. It’s not a secret. ESPN did an article last year or the year before. It’s why the draws are now done live with the names in sealed containers.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #30
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
They manipulated the group draws to ensure all the big countries were in the other side of the bracket. It’s not a secret. ESPN did an article last year or the year before. It’s why the draws are now done live with the names in sealed containers.
Yeah, but the thing about that is that they still had to win the games. And they beat Brazil convincingly in the final. FIFA was corrupt for a long time before and after that 98 WC, so I'm sure there's plenty of stuff that we still don't know, and probably don't want to know.
strykerg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #31
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post
Yeah, but the thing about that is that they still had to win the games. And they beat Brazil convincingly in the final. FIFA was corrupt for a long time before and after that 98 WC, so I'm sure there's plenty of stuff that we still don't know, and probably don't want to know.
Money flowed like water through FIFA before the FBI got involved and indictments came out. I’m convinced billions were involved in Qutar 2022. And yes, they still had to win, but the decked stacked in your favor never hurt. Seeing Brazil in the Round of 16 is harder than avoiding them until the final. England, Brazil, Argentina, and the Netherlands beat on each other before France got by a decent Italian team and Germany got beat by Croatia, which led to the complete tear down of German Football management.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #32
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Saturday's game was good and Sunday's game was awesome. Except for the result. But the final had a lot of action and Croatia fought till the last second!

Overall this was one of the best World Cups I've seen. I admit though I haven't seen too many and being able to watch this entire tournament in 4K pulled me in.

I lived in Turkey during the 1990 World Cup and even though they weren't in it, it's pretty cool being in a country where everything stops when the World Cup is on TV.

Last edited by Jay_LHD3; 07-16-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Brain Fart - Just realized I inserted the days backwards.
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #33
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_LHD3 View Post
Sunday's game was good and Saturday's game was awesome. Except for the result. But the final had a lot of action and Croatia fought till the last second!

Overall this was one of the best World Cups I've seen. I admit though I haven't seen too many and being able to watch this entire tournament in 4K pulled me in.

I lived in Turkey during the 1990 World Cup and even though they weren't in it, it's pretty cool being in a country where everything stops when the World Cup is on TV.

Saturday was a great game. I’d still like to have seen Belgium win the cup.

As much as I dislike France, I have to admit I really like some of the current French players.