Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
rns0504

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS Manual
11 years without an accident

To the day. I was literally about to post on Facebook about it earlier that day, and then I became car #9 of a #16 car pileup on the way to work. I was one of three cars that weren't "sandwiched" as I actually pay attention to my surroundings and managed to avoid the car in front of me.

Pulled off the road and into the median when I knew the guy behind me wouldn't stop, sure enough he plowed the car in front of me, then a continued chain reaction. I thought I was safe up in the median until car #16 plowed car #15 hard enough to send him sideways into the median and into my Camaro. About 20 seconds after I thought I avoided it all.

Sucks

FHP broke it up into 4 separate accidents although it was all within 150 feet of each other or so.

I was the first of the 16 cars released because I was one of the few driveable with minimal damage. Already went after the insurance company of the "back" car of my little cluster, which hit the Equinox, which went sideways into the median and hit me and an Altima

Looking forward to the diminished value war with Allstate as well as getting everything replaced to like-new, including a new wheel. Car didn't have a scratch on it before...

Im assuming they will have to cut and weld a new panel because of all the body lines in the area and the damage to the gills?
Attached Images

rns0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
I feel your pain. Have a beer or two. Life's short. Don't let this kind of crap get you down too much.

Yeah, it looks like a new quarter panel is in order. Maybe time to think about that SS you've been lusting for?
Old 07-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Happens to the best of us.

Just don't let stuff like this get you down. I'd rather have a crumpled car vs loss of life or injury any day
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Once fixed, trade it in.

That's what I'd do.

Time for a 2018 SS?
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
Looking forward to the diminished value war with Allstate
Before you get too happy about diminished value, check you states laws. Most states now do not allow diminished value payouts unless you sell or trade in the car within a certain time frame after the wreck (typically 30-60 days).
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
rns0504

Thanks all!

Believe me I'm surprisingly not that upset. Just annoyed more than anything. Why couldnt anyone hit the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire I had before this instead? hahaha. Its just the first 'nice' thing I had ever owned.

Planning on keeping this car for many years and because it doesn't seem like any structural damage was done I don't have a problem keeping it. Bought it cash money, I don't do debt/payments so don't even want to look at other cars right now and get tempted.

Surprisingly Florida is pretty easy on diminished value. I asked a few people I know about it and they said they had successfully had it paid out to them - but you have to ask for it
Old 07-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
rns0504

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...713-story.html

Newspaper says 12 but I counted 16 (well 15, truck that caused it all took off) while I was on site, and the trooper confirmed that.

Maybe they got the number after a few of us left, I was the first off the scene. FHP appreciated my dash cam video for sure in helping to sort it out.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #8
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
We're all in the same boat...Those who have, and those who will.....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #9
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Thanks all!

Believe me I'm surprisingly not that upset. Just annoyed more than anything. Why couldnt anyone hit the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire I had before this instead? hahaha. Its just the first 'nice' thing I had ever owned.

Planning on keeping this car for many years and because it doesn't seem like any structural damage was done I don't have a problem keeping it. Bought it cash money, I don't do debt/payments so don't even want to look at other cars right now and get tempted.

Surprisingly Florida is pretty easy on diminished value. I asked a few people I know about it and they said they had successfully had it paid out to them - but you have to ask for it
Sorry about the damage, but glad you weren't hurt. I was like you when I was rear-ended a couple years back; wasn't really upset, was more concerned about whether or not my wife or anyone else was hurt, thankfully no one was. The car can and will be fixed to as good as new; just make sure you request all new, GM OEM replace parts.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
sorry this happened,and yes a new quarter panel would be the best fix.i drive on i-4 quite a bit,always a relief to get home with no death or damage.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
RandomCamaroSS

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
I try to avoid I-4 at all costs. That road is a death trap!
RandomCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Im assuming they will have to cut and weld a new panel because of all the body lines in the area and the damage to the gills?
Sorry to see the damage, especially after you thought you had escaped all that carnage!
That side panel is actually one piece which runs from the trunk up to past the front door, front post. Read info on the special very expensive equipment Chevy created at their factory to make that stamping ~ 10 foot, which set a record.
Here is a photo of what it looks like stamped out of one sheet:
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
rns0504

Is that something only a Chevy dealer could readily obtain, meaning I should probably take it to a Chevy dealer for service? Assuming Allstate will approve paying for that rather than cutting and welding
Old 07-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Is that something only a Chevy dealer could readily obtain, meaning I should probably take it to a Chevy dealer for service? Assuming Allstate will approve paying for that rather than cutting and welding
Actually, as part of the unit body, that panel is welded on. You can see welds if you open the trunk, covered over with body sealant - and it is welded in to the roof panel (hidden by roof drip/ditch molding), etc.
Anyone can get the parts. In any case, if it was my car, I would not be in a hurry and fully check-out credentials of anyone I was thinking of doing the repair work (and find out exactly what they are going to do/replace/restore/bang out dents) .... in some areas the dealer may be the only one that has a shop that can do a perfect repair and others an independent shop can handle it, and of course in some instances a particular dealer maybe should be avoided ;-)
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote