Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 06-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #10347
velociSSimo
... well, not yet.

Drives: 2012 Chevy Silverado ZL1
Need to figure out how to get a bed liner, tonneau, and nerf bars out of this!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #10348
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzd01 View Post
Have you compared historical plates to collector plates? I have collector plates on my '76. I don't recall exactly why I decided on collector plates over historical. It may have been that personalized historical plates weren't available at the time or were more limited in number of characters.

I don't have any regrets with collector plates. The only negatives have been that I cannot renew them online or for 2 years like my regular daily driver plates. The annual registration is just over $100.
I have trouble seeing the benefit of "collector plates"? they were all the rage years ago during echeck- because then the car wouldnt have to be echecked... but now that echeck is gone, what are the benefits over standard plates? You still have to renew them every year and they don't seem much if any cheaper, but maybe there are some benefits I dont know about?

The benefits of the historicals is they are only $25 and you only have to pay once and they are good for 50 years! Thats a lot cheaper than standard!

Quote:
2nd gens!!!
Some of this is over my head. I need to figure out how to handle everything. Are there any good 2nd gen bibles/info sources? I've always been jealous of your car, and I test drove about 20 before I found one that was exactly what I wanted!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #10349
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociSSimo View Post
You can do it. You just need to talk to the right shops
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Old 06-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #10350
ChriSS84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
Insurance fraud.. Interesting
ChriSS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #10351
heinzd01

Drives: 2010 SS RS, 1976 Type LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnyd View Post
Some of this is over my head. I need to figure out how to handle everything. Are there any good 2nd gen bibles/info sources? I've always been jealous of your car, and I test drove about 20 before I found one that was exactly what I wanted!
www.nastyz28.com
heinzd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #10352
vthokiefan
Stealthy SS

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS w Black Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Cool! Glad you like them! It is quite an upgrade! Enjoy extended brake life!
And shorter tire life
3M Clear Bra, GM Strong MAF, Borla S-Type Axle-back, RX Catch Can, Pedders: Xa Coilovers, Sub-Frame / Radius Rod Inserts, BMR: Front & Rear sway bars / End links & RLCA plates, Defenderworx black bowties
vthokiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #10353
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChriSS84 View Post
Insurance fraud.. Interesting
Its not insurance fraud if you do it legitimately.

Shops have different pricing. Thats not fraudulant. I've made a lot of spare cash in my day getting a quote from a decent shop and then doing the work myself. Thats just "paying myself" for the work. For example, that rear bumper has like 8-10 bolts to put it on or take it off. The dealer will quote you like $900 for it, yet you can get the same bumper new for about $400 and bolt it up yourself, and keep the $500. Another trick is if you get a ding or paint chip, They are going to have to fix it and repaint it- However, if its small enough you can pop it out yourself, buff it or touch it up yourself, and it may not be 100% perfect, but in the case of trucks and whatnot, that might not bother you. (not necessarily the way to go on a brand new truck...) LAstly, get a reputable shop to quote it and get a guy you know that does good paint work to paint it for you cheaper, or upgrade to cheaper aftermarket parts. In none of those situations is it insurance fraud! Thats being properly compensated for the damages and being resourceful!

Once again, not that all these tricks would be somnething you want to do on a new stock car, but One of the best ones is look at the ram truck in my signature. That had a painted bumper. I got rear ended. Cost of the new bumber was like $350 plus like 400 to paint it per the shop. However for $375 I could get the chrome version of the bumper (new), or for $150 I could get a used chrome bumper. I replaced it with the chrome bumper (used) which didn't need paint and saved $600 I got to pocket. The taillight was also damaged, so instead of replacing with new OEM parts I bought aftermarket tails, and I never fixed the dented tailgate ($75 saved)- I primed/painted the little part that was damaged to prevent rust and covered it up with a new plastic trim piece ($450 saved) - total $1100 pocketed. On the camaro however I got hit on the rear quarter panel. I couldnt replace it, so paid out to have a shop fully repair it themselves- only made $150 off the scuffed wheel which I repaired myself with a dremel, but I've made probably $5000-6000 off the 7 or 8 times I've been hit. (replace taillights with aftermarket units, replace sideskirts with aftermarket ones, Replace bumpers, grilles, headlights, etc. with aftermarket ones, got the cheaper paint options, painted myself on older cars, buffed the wheels out myself, Buffed a scratch out myself, etc)

The worst part of those 7-8 times is I haven't been in the car for any of them. People like to run into my cars in parking lots? Pizza delivery guy, someone driving on my street, some stranger turning around in my driveway, etc.

Last edited by Arachnyd; 06-03-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #10354
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Quote:
Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #10355
velociSSimo
... well, not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnyd View Post
Its not insurance fraud if you do it legitimately.

Shops have different pricing. Thats not fraudulant. I've made a lot of spare cash in my day getting a quote from a decent shop and then doing the work myself. Thats just "paying myself" for the work. For example, that rear bumper has like 8-10 bolts to put it on or take it off. The dealer will quote you like $900 for it, yet you can get the same bumper new for about $400 and bolt it up yourself, and keep the $500. Another trick is if you get a ding or paint chip, They are going to have to fix it and repaint it- However, if its small enough you can pop it out yourself, buff it or touch it up yourself, and it may not be 100% perfect, but in the case of trucks and whatnot, that might not bother you. (not necessarily the way to go on a brand new truck...) LAstly, get a reputable shop to quote it and get a guy you know that does good paint work to paint it for you cheaper, or upgrade to cheaper aftermarket parts. In none of those situations is it insurance fraud! Thats being properly compensated for the damages and being resourceful!

Once again, not that all these tricks would be somnething you want to do on a new stock car, but One of the best ones is look at the ram truck in my signature. That had a painted bumper. I got rear ended. Cost of the new bumber was like $350 plus like 400 to paint it per the shop. However for $375 I could get the chrome version of the bumper (new), or for $150 I could get a used chrome bumper. I replaced it with the chrome bumper (used) which didn't need paint and saved $600 I got to pocket. The taillight was also damaged, so instead of replacing with new OEM parts I bought aftermarket tails, and I never fixed the dented tailgate ($75 saved)- I primed/painted the little part that was damaged to prevent rust and covered it up with a new plastic trim piece ($450 saved) - total $1100 pocketed. On the camaro however I got hit on the rear quarter panel. I couldnt replace it, so paid out to have a shop fully repair it themselves- only made $150 off the scuffed wheel which I repaired myself with a dremel, but I've made probably $5000-6000 off the 7 or 8 times I've been hit. (replace taillights with aftermarket units, replace sideskirts with aftermarket ones, Replace bumpers, grilles, headlights, etc. with aftermarket ones, got the cheaper paint options, painted myself on older cars, buffed the wheels out myself, Buffed a scratch out myself, etc)

The worst part of those 7-8 times is I haven't been in the car for any of them. People like to run into my cars in parking lots? Pizza delivery guy, someone driving on my street, some stranger turning around in my driveway, etc.

Couldn't have said it better.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #10356
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Couldn't have said it better.
Yup. This dissertation by B is dead nuts correct. I've done it. Only problem being if insurance wants to do third party. Meaning they want to pay the shop directly. It's their way of eliminating this type of thing. No, it's not illegal per se, but it is fraudulent.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #10357
ChriSS84
Account Suspended

Quote:
This statement sounds like a plan to commit insurance fraud. I could care less. I just call it like I see it.

When someone provides false information to an insurance company in order to gain something of value that he or she would not have received if the truth had been told‚ they’ve committed insurance fraud. PERIOD
Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #10358
velociSSimo
... well, not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Yup. This dissertation by B is dead nuts correct. I've done it. Only problem being if insurance wants to do third party. Meaning they want to pay the shop directly. It's their way of eliminating this type of thing. No, it's not illegal per se, but it is fraudulent.
I really don't know why insurance companies wouldn't just do this. It would make sure everything is done and no room for fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChriSS84 View Post
This statement sounds like a plan to commit insurance fraud. I could care less. I just call it like I see it.

When someone provides false information to an insurance company in order to gain something of value that he or she would not have received if the truth had been told‚ they’ve committed insurance fraud. PERIOD
1st off I was making a half-hearted joke about the situation. Considering I'm gonna likely need a new bed and bumper there won't be much room for playing around anyways. But B had a good point and that's why I said he stated it well. Sorry to get your panties in a bunch. And next time you go over the speed limit make sure you call the cops on yourself, since our defrauding the local government on revenue.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #10359
ChriSS84
Account Suspended

Quote:
I really don't know why insurance companies wouldn't just do this. It would make sure everything is done and no room for fraud.

1st off I was making a half-hearted joke about the situation. Considering I'm gonna likely need a new bed and bumper there won't be much room for playing around anyways. But B had a good point and that's why I said he stated it well. Sorry to get your panties in a bunch. And next time you go over the speed limit make sure you call the cops on yourself, since our defrauding the local government on revenue.
I could care less. What you do. I simply made a comment about your statement of trying to get extra shit. I don't know and have no intention on getting to know you, so I really don't care. I simply said Insurance fraud interesting, and then came a novel about insurance. I never read that dudes posts because I have better shit to do, so I don't know what point he made. It's pretty clear what insurance fraud is. That's all I'm saying, and if that's how you do things then good for you. I could care less. Hopefully you get your truck fixed soon.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #10360
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Here we go again.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boringeversincehausleft, doesanyoneactuallyreadthislol, drew10stealsbolts, funny tags are funny, hrpii is pregnant, iroc204hp, irocababy, irocabigsticktobeatyouall, irocansshole, irocarubmark, irocasuspension, irocfluffyslippers, irocgrocerygetter, irocinsomnia, irocsshole, the jeopardy song, trackdaymidohio, whogetsridoftheircamaro4ajeep, whydotheyhatechubby?