Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #85
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Thanks Number 3

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #86
archtaan

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
A couple of points:

1 - if this was a Z07 it had the track aero that adds big down force. Which means more drag.

2 - at these speeds, aero means far, far, far more than 150 pounds, give or take.

Snip
This particular Z06 that was beat is a stage 1 aero. In this particular case, the Viper TA actually has more aero and drag than this Z06.

The base Viper is actually faster than the TA because of the TA's aero.

The Vette has 10 more hp, the Viper is nearly 200#'s lighter.

They both have 1:1 4th gear ratio but the Vette with the M7 has a 3.42 rear axle vs the Vipers 3.06.
archtaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #87
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by archtaan View Post
This particular Z06 that was beat is a stage 1 aero. In this particular case, the Viper TA actually has more aero and drag than this Z06.

The base Viper is actually faster than the TA because of the TA's aero.

The Vette has 10 more hp, the Viper is nearly 200#'s lighter.

They both have 1:1 4th gear ratio but the Vette with the M7 has a 3.42 rear axle vs the Vipers 3.06.
As I said weight means little at these speeds it's all aero.

But track aero is one thing. Get CD and cross sectional area to get the full aero penalty.

My guess is the Z06 is too fresh and anyone buying either of these cars based on these roll on comparisons is wasting their money. Those guys should just buy a hellcat.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #88
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Well this should lighten up the thread... Someone did the Hitler video of this race LMAO

Sorry mobile users... you have to be on a computer.

http://meemsy.com/v/25159
This made me laugh so hard I cried. Thanks Mlee.

Here is the YouTube version for everyone.

http://youtu.be/nvBxmwCUVgU

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #89
MXR

Drives: 13 ZL1 JDP 850
Bwaaahhhaaahhaahahahaha!
MXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #90
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
hahaha that video!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #91
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Offering 426, 505, 580 and 650 HP cars with full warranty on the track or strip is even harder yet. How many car is Ford or Dodge offering such a warranty?
Dodge has had the Viper for years above 500hp, now Challenger and Charger have several models at or above 500hp.

Ford had the GT back in 2004 with 550hp, GT500 at 500+ since 2007. For the 11/12 GT500 you could have a 750hp upgrade kit installed at any Ford dealer right out of their FRPP catalog, and keep your warranty as long as the dealer did the install.

It will be interesting to see how the Hellcat responds under the same heat conditions as the ZO6.
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #92
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylover86 View Post
Dodge has had the Viper for years above 500hp, now Challenger and Charger have several models at or above 500hp.

Ford had the GT back in 2004 with 550hp, GT500 at 500+ since 2007. For the 11/12 GT500 you could have a 750hp upgrade kit installed at any Ford dealer right out of their FRPP catalog, and keep your warranty as long as the dealer did the install.

It will be interesting to see how the Hellcat responds under the same heat conditions as the ZO6.
I think what he was pointing out was the fact that GM has said you can race these on the track and maintain the warranty. Not sure if this can be said for any Ford or Dodge.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #93
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
The problem is that GM has marketed the C7 Z06 as a 650hp car, but has hidden the fact that after X amount of time, due to emissions and safety, the car pulls timing and derates from the advertised power level and the only way to avoid that is the have an aftermarket tune.

Some people are starting to call for a class action lawsuit against GM for it, ala the 99 Cobra. Jalopnik has gotten ahold the story...

http://jalopnik.com/2015-corvette-z0...-to-1669754727

If the ECU is pulling power until after the break in..then GM needs to disclose that NOW. Not later, not after pressure, NOW.

Last edited by SpeedIsLife; 12-11-2014 at 10:04 AM.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #94
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
I think what he was pointing out was the fact that GM has said you can race these on the track and maintain the warranty. Not sure if this can be said for any Ford or Dodge.
Yes! Chevy has not built the highest HP cars in the industry but they will let you take it to the strip or an HPDE and warranty if there is a problem.

I was told by a 392 owner at the strip that his dealer checks the wheel housing for rubber and he was surprised the GM warranties playing at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
The problem is that GM has marketed the C7 Z06 as a 650hp car, but has hidden the fact that after X amount of time, due to emissions and safety, the car pulls timing and derates from the advertised power level and the only way to avoid that is the have an aftermarket tune.

Some people are starting to call for a class action lawsuit against GM for it, ala the 99 Cobra. Jalopnik has gotten ahold the story...

http://jalopnik.com/2015-corvette-z0...-to-1669754727
Gotten ahold of "the" story? Did you read that babbling?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 12-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #95
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Hello guys. Funny discussion going on in here. I'm not surprised to see the common excuses for the Z06 being posted here, as everywhere. The main reason that the internet blew up over this race, is because of how much the media hyped up the Z06 for the last year. They claimed "bye bye ZR1" and "will beat Viper" and all sorts of stuff. Even the C7Z06 fans were talking down to the ZR1 owners, saying their cars were obsolete. Then they announced the 650/650 and the Z06 fans got even more hyped up. Wow! We're going to have ZR1 exceeding performance for less than ZR1s cost new!!

In fact, even the owner of the Z06 and myself believed this hype. Especially after early cars were showing MORE than 650 crank hp on dyno's. This particular car in the race put down 579 rwhp, with only 200 miles on it. It was broken in, so quit using that excuse. The Viper only had 1700 miles, both are brand new cars. We put the first 1000 miles on that Viper in the first week we owned it.

As for the "well, let's see it on the roadcourse." stuff? How many Corvette guys actually road race? I know very few, and I know a LOT of owners. The roadcourse is going to be determined by who is holding the steering wheel. Both cars are capable, in that regard, at the top of the heap. Even the pros will have troubles driving either car to the limit, because both cars make more power and have less grip than their actual racecars do. Go check the stats on the ALMS cars, they make less power than the street cars do (restricted). That being said, I happen to road-race my cars. MLee will tell you what the TA can do, we raced together a week ago. I look forward to trying out the C7 Z06 soon.

Tony
Nine Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #96
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Hello guys. Funny discussion going on in here. I'm not surprised to see the common excuses for the Z06 being posted here, as everywhere. The main reason that the internet blew up over this race, is because of how much the media hyped up the Z06 for the last year. They claimed "bye bye ZR1" and "will beat Viper" and all sorts of stuff. Even the C7Z06 fans were talking down to the ZR1 owners, saying their cars were obsolete. Then they announced the 650/650 and the Z06 fans got even more hyped up. Wow! We're going to have ZR1 exceeding performance for less than ZR1s cost new!!

In fact, even the owner of the Z06 and myself believed this hype. Especially after early cars were showing MORE than 650 crank hp on dyno's. This particular car in the race put down 579 rwhp, with only 200 miles on it. It was broken in, so quit using that excuse. The Viper only had 1700 miles, both are brand new cars. We put the first 1000 miles on that Viper in the first week we owned it.

As for the "well, let's see it on the roadcourse." stuff? How many Corvette guys actually road race? I know very few, and I know a LOT of owners. The roadcourse is going to be determined by who is holding the steering wheel. Both cars are capable, in that regard, at the top of the heap. Even the pros will have troubles driving either car to the limit, because both cars make more power and have less grip than their actual racecars do. Go check the stats on the ALMS cars, they make less power than the street cars do (restricted). That being said, I happen to road-race my cars. MLee will tell you what the TA can do, we raced together a week ago. I look forward to trying out the C7 Z06 soon.

Tony
I couldn't care less about who won or lost this drag. I'm more interested in if there is a cooling issue with the LT4 in the Z06.

Ronald Reagan -
Old 12-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #97
hockeylover86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Dodge released "NHRA Certified" times for the Hellcat, done at a track.

That sounds like the warranty is maintained to me, since the mfg. was directly involved.

They even sell a package called "drag pack"..
Old 12-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #98
hockeylover86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post

Tony
I recognize your screen name from back in the day on LS1.com.

I'm talking like waaay back in the early F-car days.

I assume you are the same Tony/Nineball who has been around these forums for a long while?