Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
Captain77

Drives: CRT 2SS/RS L99
In need of some expert advice.

I am really torn as to how I want to modify my Camaro.. Firstly lets say that I want to go the Super charger route, how well will the stock 6.2 and drive train hold up to all that extra horse power?. I was also thinking about the Ported heads and Cam route as well. This car will be my daily driver and I work offshore and drive 300 miles to work and my Camaro sits for 3 weeks then its another 300 miles home. I am looking for good drivability and power.. Thanks for any help
Captain77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
get the tvs 2300 magnacharger. the drive train should be fine with the right amount of boost. just make sure you go to a highly respected shop for the install and tune for the tune is very important. you will need headers and a cai too. not sure where milton is but look into taking it to vengeance racing in georgia. their highly respected.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Captain77

Thanks for the advice. Im close to Pensacola. Fl

Proud 2SS/RS Owner.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Smoky10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Where are you thinking of going I'm in Navarre
Smoky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Captain77

Do you own a shop?

Proud 2SS/RS Owner.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Your best bet would be to go in the FI section and read. There are lots of options for FI and figuring out what is best for you, depends on you. There are LOTS of threads discussing the pros/cons and limitations of each option.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Smoky10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
No I just live close and was curious what places you were trying to choose from
Smoky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Check with some of the forum sponsors! Lethal Racing would be a good one!!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
A few places not all that far from you would be Lethal, Vengeance, SS Performance Group. If you want to travel further south Florida. Antivenom, FSP, Lashway, Redline, Torq.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
A roots type would be my choice for these heavy cars, whipple/ kennybelle come to mind. Your an auto so you will also need a Trans cooler IMHO. The extra power will be causing some extra heat. You'll also be needing a good Trans tune when going FI. Tuning is going to be the ticket to longevity.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Captain: Sent you back a few messages.. Sorry about our response time as we are installing a ECS SC kit, two cams, and gears up in our buddies shop this week in Panama City. Left you my personal cell # give me a shout
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain77 View Post
I am really torn as to how I want to modify my Camaro.. Firstly lets say that I want to go the Super charger route, how well will the stock 6.2 and drive train hold up to all that extra horse power?. I was also thinking about the Ported heads and Cam route as well. This car will be my daily driver and I work offshore and drive 300 miles to work and my Camaro sits for 3 weeks then its another 300 miles home. I am looking for good drivability and power.. Thanks for any help
These engines are pretty stout, I'm pushing 700rwhp on my stock bottom end and we consistently build customer cars to 650-700rwhp, as long as you're on top of maintenance and have a good tuner I wouldn't worry too much about it!

The transmission on the other hand is another story, depending on how much rwhp you make and how you intend to use the car (daily driver or track car) you may need to consider a 4L80 swap if you start getting really serious. Typically though with just a blower/headers/cam you'll be okay with the stock 6L80e.

The nice thing about modding cars is you can do it in stages...or all at once, depending on what works best for you. You can start with an intake/headers/exhaust and enjoy the car for a bit before adding a blower, or go right to the blower and do those items later. To do a cam of decent size you're going to want to already have the intake/headers to let it breathe correctly, so keep that in mind. Also depending on the cam size you may need to change the torque converter as well.

Do you have a rwhp goal in mind? Let us know and we can better advise.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Florida?

Speedfab in Orange Park.
That guy does it all and is VERY GOOD.
Excellent tuner, builder, and fabricator...totally legit.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
These engines are pretty stout, I'm pushing 700rwhp on my stock bottom end and we consistently build customer cars to 650-700rwhp, as long as you're on top of maintenance and have a good tuner I wouldn't worry too much about it!

The transmission on the other hand is another story, depending on how much rwhp you make and how you intend to use the car (daily driver or track car) you may need to consider a 4L80 swap if you start getting really serious. Typically though with just a blower/headers/cam you'll be okay with the stock 6L80e.

The nice thing about modding cars is you can do it in stages...or all at once, depending on what works best for you. You can start with an intake/headers/exhaust and enjoy the car for a bit before adding a blower, or go right to the blower and do those items later. To do a cam of decent size you're going to want to already have the intake/headers to let it breathe correctly, so keep that in mind. Also depending on the cam size you may need to change the torque converter as well.

Do you have a rwhp goal in mind? Let us know and we can better advise.
Good to hear. I've seen some serious stuff, but what you dont ever hear is for how long. lol
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote