Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #127
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Exactly, we post because we care. My vin number is 2G1FS1EWXA9122517

This means I'm Camaro number 22,517.. So far the vins affected are from the 12,000 - 25,000 range according to scattered posts and VIN's posted in this forum. I think a simple "Sticky" asking all forum members who have had this issue and had their car towed and fixed at the dealer put in their VIN numbers, we could get to the bottom of this ourselves. Even though it would be easier for GM to supply this information as it would be more accurate and complete. So I ask any mod reading this if they think this is a good idea to sticky a thread with affected VIN ranges..

Another idea I have is for those worried about this issue and their VIn number falls within the range (once we figure it out) Then someone from GM can send a private message letting them know they know for certain their car is not affected. I've phoned GM and still have not gotten a call back. So I figure this might give some insight to GM how many forum members are worried about this issue and would like to be contacted about it. Safety for all of us should be Gm's number one concern here. Just like the battery cable that needed to be re-routed, this should be something we all should have peace of mind on who bought and paid for a new Camaro and are still under warranty.

VIn's mentioned in this thread alone with this issue. I'm not sure if UFC Woot's was affected but the rest specifically stated they were.

hiller72 VIN #2G1FT1EW4A9116614
RRcamaro vin# 16531
hiller72 #17711
orangeinfernoman 114461
RoyalKev 2G1FT1EW1A9114402
AnOlaHic vin# 14368
nuptualnemesis Vin 13782
3 SS's 10k range
UCF w00t 18934

jayson71 said his was replaced however it did not break. He just complained of some noise that was occuring in a certain gear and would go away under heavy load. This is the first case where it was fixed without it having to be break first.

#PIP4666A: Vehicle will not move in any gear:

Great post!!
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
Old 11-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #128
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
Burning those tires just to make sure mine tranny won't break sure sux bigtime!

Quote:
Exactly, we post because we care. My vin number is 2G1FS1EWXA9122517

"Sticky" asking all forum members who have had this issue and had their car towed and fixed at the dealer put in their VIN numbers, we could get to the bottom of this ourselves. Even though it would be easier for GM to supply this information as it would be more accurate and complete. So I ask any mod reading this if they think this is a good idea to sticky a thread with affected VIN ranges..

Safety for all of us should be Gm's number one concern here. Just like the battery cable that needed to be re-routed, this should be something we all should have peace of mind on who bought and paid for a new Camaro and are still under warranty.
Good idea, but no sure the GM kronies will post a sticky about issues that GM is ignoring.
I'm 10887.....but I still worry, until there is concrete evidence that mine is not affected, how could I not, and I don't want to have to beat on my car to find out!!! I drive it plenty agressively and pretty much do all my tire spinning in my 69 Chevelle, those BF Goodrich Ta's are a lot cheaper.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #129
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 SS's View Post

Good idea, but no sure the GM kronies will post a sticky about issues that GM is ignoring.:thumbdown:
I'm 10887.....but I still worry, until there is concrete evidence that mine is not affected, how could I not, and I don't want to have to beat on my car to find out!!! I drive it plenty agressively and pretty much do all my tire spinning in my 69 Chevelle, those BF Goodrich Ta's are a lot cheaper.
Why would you make a statement like that?

I know this issue has not not been ignored. It has been very visible within GM and has been given a great deal of attention to get this issue resolved.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #130
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

Good idea, but not sure the GM kronies will post a sticky about issues that GM is ignoring.
first off, what exactly are you implying with that statement? I hope you dont mean that the mods/admin here are willing to turn a blind eye to the problems of our members just because we prefer GM over another brand.

second off. GM isnt ignoring this issue. I've been investigating it since the first instance occured and have been following this thread and the others like it intensely. I've been speaking with GM personnel and others who are directly involved with this issue. I've been working on a thread (that will be stickied) that covers this and will be up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

I know this issue has not not been ignored. It has been very visible within GM and has been given a great deal of attention to get this issue resolved.

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #131
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson71 View Post
We had our "Drive line" replaced at 5500 miles
I parked last night at exactly 5500. No issues yet.

Quote:

Thanks for sharing that. Its important for us to know that GM is taking this seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
first off, what exactly are you implying with that statement? I hope you dont mean that the mods/admin here are willing to turn a blind eye to the problems of our members just because we prefer GM over another brand.

second off. GM isnt ignoring this issue. I've been investigating it since the first instance occured and have been following this thread and the others like it intensely. I've been speaking with GM personnel and others who are directly involved with this issue. I've been working on a thread (that will be stickied) that covers this and will be up soon.
Thanks Spike! Anxiously waiting
Old 11-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #132
3 SS's

Quote:

OK....ignoring was a little harsh , I'll change it to "not so forth coming with" sooooo, when is there gonna be a list of affected vins???

Quote:

Turn a blind eye...no, promote a thread calling GM out , well... that's a different story.

All we want is info!!!!! and if anyone thinks that GM has been forthcoming with us and it's even sadder and a perfect example, that a post like my previous is what gets a response as opposed to just our pleads for info.:(

Last edited by 3 SS's; 11-14-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #133
LS 1st gen
Kept the Faith.

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS
Send a message via AIM to LS 1st gen
Quote:

We're making an assesment based on the situation as we have observed it. We were told that we would be informed if our cars were subject to this issue. No one has been contacted. There was a NYTimes article stating that this issue has been resolved....that's great and sure it may have been resolved on cars at the factory, but what about my VIN 13694 thats been at home since late June - before GM even acknowledged this issue? GM knows if my car has a problem....I do not.

Last edited by LS 1st gen; 11-14-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #134
3 SS's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS 1st gen View Post
GM knows if my car has a problem....I do not.
Nor do I
Old 11-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #135
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
OK....ignoring was a little harsh , I'll change it to "not so forth coming with" sooooo, when is there gonna be a list of affected vins???

Turn a blind eye...no, promote a thread calling GM out , well... that's a different story.

All we want is info!!!!! and if anyone thinks that GM has been forthcoming with us and it's even sadder that a post like my previous is what gets a response as opposed to just our pleads for info.:(

I'm right there with you. Trust me.

However, I am one of those people who will not lash out on an issue until I know ALL OF THE FACTS. There is an issue with output shafts, no one is saying there isnt. but just because GM isnt telling you every single thing they are doing about it does not mean that they arent working the issue. Ask Number 3 how many pm's he and I have shared discussing this very subject and this very thread. Not saying that it shouldnt be questioned, but bashing GM, the car, the mods/admins of this site are not the way to go about it.

you can say that its sad that your post got my attention, but my attention has been here since this thread started. however, calling the mods/admins "GM kronies" does irk me on a separate level.

I dont have all the answers for this issue, but I am working my damnedest to find them.

as far as calling GM out. how many vehicles have been affected so far that we know of? take that number compared to the total amount of camaros produced so far. GM does read these boards and see the problems that are going on. however, there are a LOT of things that they cant just come out and say in the open about what they are doing to fix a problem. why? partly because then people misconstrue whats really going on and everything gets taken out of proportion. at which point, it becomes a rolling snowball picking up speed. Do you remember when the first cars were delivered and there were those "mysterious" brake caliper weights?

how many people flipped their wig and went ape isht on GM for doing this... when they didnt realize that this has been a common practice in nearly every automotive market. it takes time for issues like this to be resolved. and granted, wheel weights on a brake caliper are different than a busted transmission, but the way things get blown up in no time is crazy.

imagine you ran a store and 2 people with the same problem came in. one person was calm and collected and the other person was ranting and raving, and calling you a cheat and a liar for them having a broken part. who would you rather deal with? and before you start thinking I'm saying you are ranting and raving, I'm not, I'm meaning that towards the whole emotion of the forum at times, esp when there is a problem with this car.

the problem is being worked. both inside GM and out. we will have our answers, but instead of calling the mods "GM kronies" and bashing GM in the forum.... start pushing the investigation at the dealers, on the service hotlines, hell, call the people who make the components for the car. help us help you.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #136
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:

I'm glad you've let us know you are working on making a stickied thread about this issue as it is long overdue. You have to understand that even though you know you and GM are working on this issue, we have all been left in the dark about it up until your very post just now. Like I said before I have called GM and let them know of my concern for my safety and I receive no call back. I have not and will not push my car hard until I get some verification that the issue won't happen out on a busy highway.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #137
3 SS's

I'm not looking to go back & forth on this, I payed decent money for this car and all I want is peace of mind, it shouldn't be my job to obtain it.... it's GM's to give it to me..... and they haven't ,end of story.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #138
Supermans

Quote:

the problem is being worked. both inside GM and out. we will have our answers, but instead of calling the mods "GM kronies" and bashing GM in the forum.... start pushing the investigation at the dealers, on the service hotlines, hell, call the people who make the components for the car. help us help you.
With all do respect, calling the people who make the components for the car is not our job here. I did call GM's hotline and no matter how I expressed my concern over this issue as it affects my newly purchased vehicle, I get the runaround and no response back. I have brought this issue up at my dealer and they say the same thing about everything. There is nothing they can do unless GM sends them a recall notice. Basically it has to break before they look at it. As for keeping silent on this issue for this long is a travesty and your explanation as to why you have kept silent this long is also very troubling.

So my posts above as a concerned Camaro owner are being read by you and GM and for that at least I can breath a sigh of relief. You say you send many private messages between each other talking about this thread which is all good. However a simple message to all of us here months ago would have gone a long way to calm us all down. Why did GM let it get this far? (I know your answer already so no need to re-explain) I posted a concern about this issue months ago and it is hard to believe talking to us would have spiralled anything out of control.

In your eyes this issue may be small in comparison to the number of Camaro's manufactured vs having this issue. However like I posted above, how can you know for certain if allowing all of us who drive our Camaro's normally won't have this issue happen at 50,000 or 90,000 due to stress fractures in the shaft over time. Will this part be covered on some type of an extended recall warranty at that point? First of all, is there a way to know for certain what vehicles are affected and which ones aren't without guessing? That is the main question. My second question is whether or not a dealer mechanic can detect a problem shaft before it gets damaged if given special instruction on what to look for by you? If there is no way to know for certain which vehicles got the messed up shafts other than a VIN range, will you let us know if our vehicle falls within that range? Will you be willing to replace the shafts that still work but may fall under the problem batch of shafts? All these are important questions that I'm sure all of us would like to know.

What I don't want is a decision from GM behind closed doors basically deciding "Those damaged shafts on the majority of the vehicles withint the affected VIn range are good enough for non-dragster driving so we don't tell them about it" in order to save money. In that case you are playing with peoples lives and there is no way to know how long term usage would play a role in the shaft cracking either.. I've been driving mine very easy however I will take it out on the track at some point. I just need assurance that the shaft is solid and won't break if I try launch control a couple times a week. Ultimately, what we all want is for you guys at GM to talk to us more often, and if you want send us personal messages on an individual basis if we have concerns. The GM hotline is useless as you know so having you guys being able to keep us in the loupe is important and appreciated between all of us. You have my VIN number, and I'm sure others would be glad to ask you the same thing I did in a stickied thread. You guys will get lots of props from all of us if this is handled the right way.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #139
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS 1st gen View Post
We're making an assesment based on the situation as we have observed it. We were told that we would be informed if our cars were subject to this issue. No one has been contacted. There was a NYTimes article stating that this issue has been resolved....that's great and sure it may have been resolved on cars at the factory, but what about my VIN 13694 thats been at home since late June - before GM even acknowledged this issue? GM knows if my car has a problem....I do not.
I am feeling your emotions here and I too am as passionate about this issue. I'm glad it is fixed in the factory however I just want piece of mind mine has the same strong shaft that the newer fixed VIN's are getting..
Old 11-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #140
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
I'm glad you've let us know you are working on making a stickied thread about this issue as it is long overdue. You have to understand that even though you know you and GM are working on this issue, we have all been left in the dark about it up until your very post just now. Like I said before I have called GM and let them know of my concern for my safety and I receive no call back. I have not and will not push my car hard until I get some verification that the issue won't happen out on a busy highway.

Part of the reason I haven't done it yet is because I am trying to get all the facts before posting.

however, as far as pushing your car hard.... or not... in your case. I'd rather go out and blow the thing now in a somewhat controlled area than always be worriesom about it on the highway. if its going to break, its going to break. there are a lot of circumstances that have to be taken into account as well. traction control, oscillation and frequency vibration of the components, traction itself, wheel hop, clutch slippage, and many other things that make this hard to figure out. as there are numerous M6's out there that have blowers and turbos and nitrous and many other power adders that are in the same vin ranges that have yet to blow their shafts. only way to be sure is to go out and try to break it while its still under warranty and before mods get added. IMO.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:

Closed Thread