Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #57
Tajefe Couple

 
Tajefe Couple's Avatar
 
Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcolopi View Post
Still working out some last minute bugs. We ran into a bit of a delema because of how efficient this turbo setup is in this configuration. It spools so easily that the standard Garrett internal wastegate opening can't bleed boost fast enough and we are getting boost creep. So it spools right up to 12psi at the start of the run but as the rpm's go up the boost starts to climb as well and we need to have control of the boost levels for obvious reasons.

Of all problems that we could have it's not a bad one because it shows the setup will be amazing when the bugs are ironed out. Unfortunately this means a delay.

JE will be pulling the turbo's off and porting the opening for the internal gate as a first attempt at solving this problem. Obviously adding some back pressure via high flow cats would solve the problem and be the quick fix but we want to maintain this free flow setup if possible so will try this first.

This is a very common issue with many OEM turbo cars like the mazda speeds and subaru's when you do cat deletes and 3" exhaust setups. Very low back pressure can make these cars creep as well.

If this mod works we will be back in action soon. If it still creeps we may end up needing larger external waste gate setups vs the standard Garrett internal type.

With a bunch of dyno time at this point the gravity drains on the turbo are working flawlessly so that's great news. Amazing how clean and tidy this turbo kit is and how well it fits. Seems like it's OEM!

Still can't get over how ridiculously fast it spools up!

Oh, and for those that are eager to join the gravity feed twin turbo club and not deal with the scavenge pump setup JE said they will be willing to do a limited run on a made to order basis but will require them to be installed at the shop only. Eventually they would be able to build jigs and mass produce so it would be available for order and install anywhere. For now your going to need to go to Maryland to get it! Hit them up for more info if your interested. sales@jeimportperformance.com
Thanks for the email. I shot them a message already. Still can't decide what direction to take mine if any next???
__________________
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Old Skool
Tajefe Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #58
djcolopi

 
djcolopi's Avatar
 
Drives: @orange_maro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajefe View Post
Thanks for the email. I shot them a message already. Still can't decide what direction to take mine if any next???
No problem. If you have any questions on the build and setup hit me up.
__________________
Instagram @orange_maro_
djcolopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #59
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 15,186
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Wow,

I'm sorry I haven't looked in here sooner... This car is going to be a beast... No wait, it sounds like it already is with 12 lbs... I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers, from the track...

Quick comment based on what I've seen... With the inter cooler stacked right up to the bumper like mine originally was, have you thought about back cutting the bumper to allow more air flow to a larger surface area... We lost a bunch of IaT' by doing that... We cut the backside the width of the inter cooler, and left the top the full thickness, and the bottom is almost flush to the front surface... Then boxed it back in with the new back piece being angled forward from top to bottom if you follow that... Then we added gusset to fill in the remainder to regain the strength... I might have a couple pics if you're interested...
__________________
If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow. -Ross Bentley

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #60
djcolopi

 
djcolopi's Avatar
 
Drives: @orange_maro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Wow,

I'm sorry I haven't looked in here sooner... This car is going to be a beast... No wait, it sounds like it already is with 12 lbs... I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers, from the track...

Quick comment based on what I've seen... With the inter cooler stacked right up to the bumper like mine originally was, have you thought about back cutting the bumper to allow more air flow to a larger surface area... We lost a bunch of IaT' by doing that... We cut the backside the width of the inter cooler, and left the top the full thickness, and the bottom is almost flush to the front surface... Then boxed it back in with the new back piece being angled forward from top to bottom if you follow that... Then we added gusset to fill in the remainder to regain the strength... I might have a couple pics if you're interested...
At the moment the setup is actually making to much boost because I am getting so much air flow; 3" intake piping, 80mm throttle body (stock is 72.5mm) and a 3" free flowing exhaust. At 4800rpms we were recording 20psi and we had to stop as it kept increasing. However, I can look into your suggestion; feel free to post up any pictures and suggestions. Thanks
__________________
Instagram @orange_maro_
djcolopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #61
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 15,186
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcolopi View Post
At the moment the setup is actually making to much boost because I am getting so much air flow; 3" intake piping, 80mm throttle body (stock is 72.5mm) and a 3" free flowing exhaust. At 4800rpms we were recording 20psi and we had to stop as it kept increasing. However, I can look into your suggestion; feel free to post up any pictures and suggestions. Thanks
I'll look on my puter tomorrow and see what I have... Boost is one thing, but cooling the charge is what I'm getting at...

I hope they get you sorted out soon... I know how it feels not driving the car while its in the shop... Mine has been in the shop the better part of five years, but the results are worth it...
__________________
If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow. -Ross Bentley

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #62
rgrmoreira13

 
rgrmoreira13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami WADE County
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I'll look on my puter tomorrow and see what I have... Boost is one thing, but cooling the charge is what I'm getting at...

I hope they get you sorted out soon... I know how it feels not driving the car while its in the shop... Mine has been in the shop the better part of five years, but the results are worth it...
I was reading it and I was wondering that as well. How much heat are you producing in the engine bay ?? Do you have anything in place that you are going to do to lower that temp in there before you fry your wires and everything else in there ?
While I seem to be negative about this I am estatic that you are in the process of making a monster out a V6 auto which has been seen as one of the slowest Camaro's there. (Because of the 2.92 gear and it is super fuel efficient etc)
__________________
Current Car(s)
2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6.2L V8- Dream Car
2015 Equinox 2.4L I4- (Married Man with a kid ^__^)

Previous Cars
2013 Camaro 1LS 3.6L V6 - Traded
1995 Toyota Pickup 2.4L I4- Sold
1985 Mazda Rx-7 1.8L (Red) - Total Loss
1985 Mazda Rx-7 Turbo 1.8L Rotary ( White)- Sold
1996 Honda Accord 2.7L V6 - Wrecked
1998 Dodge Intrepid POS Engine- Lemon
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #63
djcolopi

 
djcolopi's Avatar
 
Drives: @orange_maro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Wow,

I'm sorry I haven't looked in here sooner... This car is going to be a beast... No wait, it sounds like it already is with 12 lbs... I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers, from the track...

Quick comment based on what I've seen... With the inter cooler stacked right up to the bumper like mine originally was, have you thought about back cutting the bumper to allow more air flow to a larger surface area... We lost a bunch of IaT' by doing that... We cut the backside the width of the inter cooler, and left the top the full thickness, and the bottom is almost flush to the front surface... Then boxed it back in with the new back piece being angled forward from top to bottom if you follow that... Then we added gusset to fill in the remainder to regain the strength... I might have a couple pics if you're interested...
Yeah what your describing for the bumper support mod makes sense. Will consider if the data says we need to make an adjustment. Currently IAT's are really good. The intercooler is pretty massive and 3/4's of it is in direct airflow so if it's staying happy on the dyno with fans. Typically if good on the dyno it should be better driving around. Appreciate the tip though!
__________________
Instagram @orange_maro_
djcolopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #64
djcolopi

 
djcolopi's Avatar
 
Drives: @orange_maro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
I was reading it and I was wondering that as well. How much heat are you producing in the engine bay ?? Do you have anything in place that you are going to do to lower that temp in there before you fry your wires and everything else in there ?
While I seem to be negative about this I am estatic that you are in the process of making a monster out a V6 auto which has been seen as one of the slowest Camaro's there. (Because of the 2.92 gear and it is super fuel efficient etc)
Yes, heat in any turbo setup is a concern. No major difference here though vs the lower mounted scavenged setups that everyone has. Something we will no doubt keep an eye on though. Turbine housings got a ceramic coating to help keep some of the heat in the exhaust. If needed down pipes will receive the same treatment or a wrapping. When JE designed the setup they were careful about placement and what the turbo's are close to so there should not be an issue. Being the first of it's kind though we always expect a couple bugs or issues to work through, all part of prototyping and R&D though.
__________________
Instagram @orange_maro_
djcolopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #65
Tajefe Couple

 
Tajefe Couple's Avatar
 
Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcolopi View Post
Yeah what your describing for the bumper support mod makes sense. Will consider if the data says we need to make an adjustment. Currently IAT's are really good. The intercooler is pretty massive and 3/4's of it is in direct airflow so if it's staying happy on the dyno with fans. Typically if good on the dyno it should be better driving around. Appreciate the tip though!
Love your build but just want to point out really good is not an actual measurement. Curious what some of your good readings are. Could you share those also? What I'm getting at is maybe good to you is not so good to me?
__________________
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Old Skool
Tajefe Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #66
Taco Time

 
Taco Time's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1SS
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Angleton, TX
Posts: 1,339
Very cool build. I dig it! And you can never have too much heat protection. The entire hot side of my turbo system is ceramic coated. Then some parts have heat wrap also.
__________________
Taco's 2014 SS
Mods: 417 Stroker | CAI | Bo's PTB | Kooks LTs | Flowmaster Outlaw Catback | Night Fury Cam | Powerbond UDP | Apex Catch Can |PRC Ported Heads |FAST 102 Intake |Suspension Crap|
Built by J-Rod.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:11 AM   #67
Pt_killa
 
Pt_killa's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 465
Awesome build, finally a lfx setup without a scavenge pump! From your pic it looks like the turbine housing bolts directly to the integrated mani collector port on the block, did you have to build a custom turbine housing with a compatible flange or does Garrett have special order housings for the lfx? Best of luck with the tuning and hope you can break into the 10s or lower!
__________________
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #68
djcolopi

 
djcolopi's Avatar
 
Drives: @orange_maro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajefe View Post
Love your build but just want to point out really good is not an actual measurement. Curious what some of your good readings are. Could you share those also? What I'm getting at is maybe good to you is not so good to me?
Ha ha, yeah I understand that. I'm personally not building or designing this. The guys at JE/Sikky are. I'm just relaying info in layman's terms as I get it. I'm sure when the time comes to make this a production kit they will have that info available. For now that's all I have on that subject. What #'s are you seeing on your setup?
__________________
Instagram @orange_maro_
djcolopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #69
djcolopi

 
djcolopi's Avatar
 
Drives: @orange_maro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Awesome build, finally a lfx setup without a scavenge pump! From your pic it looks like the turbine housing bolts directly to the integrated mani collector port on the block, did you have to build a custom turbine housing with a compatible flange or does Garrett have special order housings for the lfx? Best of luck with the tuning and hope you can break into the 10s or lower!
Custom turbine housing. Sikky has contributed the engineering and machining to this build and they made some prototype housings. Nothing off the shelf will work.

Thanks! yeah not sure if my auto trans will cooperate with 10's or lower, but we can try right!
__________________
Instagram @orange_maro_
djcolopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #70
rgrmoreira13

 
rgrmoreira13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami WADE County
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcolopi View Post
Custom turbine housing. Sikky has contributed the engineering and machining to this build and they made some prototype housings. Nothing off the shelf will work.

Thanks! yeah not sure if my auto trans will cooperate with 10's or lower, but we can try right!
Are you going to change the transmission or the rear end to get rid of the 2.92 gearing ?

I know the 1LS and the all the V6 models except the 2LS has 3.27 gearing

My suggestion is to see if you can swap for the 3.73 gearing that the SS models has. But that is my 2 pennies rubbing together.
__________________
Current Car(s)
2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6.2L V8- Dream Car
2015 Equinox 2.4L I4- (Married Man with a kid ^__^)

Previous Cars
2013 Camaro 1LS 3.6L V6 - Traded
1995 Toyota Pickup 2.4L I4- Sold
1985 Mazda Rx-7 1.8L (Red) - Total Loss
1985 Mazda Rx-7 Turbo 1.8L Rotary ( White)- Sold
1996 Honda Accord 2.7L V6 - Wrecked
1998 Dodge Intrepid POS Engine- Lemon
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.