Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Local Marketplace

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
67rscamarovette
Account Suspended

Drives: 1967 Camaro RS LS1 6 speed,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatisl View Post
Two things: F/I cam and 3.91 gears. Contemplating another cam since I'm likely to stay N/A for awhile. But 460-470 "corrected" rwhp off a Dynojet is about right for stock geared cam/exhaust LS3. I suppose if I did a LG G6X3 cam I'd be at the 500 level, but I'm not sure if I could live with it since I DD the car. I'm kinda searching for a more valvetrain friendly, but longer duration cam.
Ask Shane (stb3222) about the cam we spec'd for him. He daily drives the car and it makes killer torque for a moderately large cam, didn't kill fuel economy, and sounds like a beast. Peak HP happens around 6900 rpm, which is perfect. RPM kills engines faster than anything. Period. I forget which lobes we had it ground on, XER or XFI, but it definately was a good combo. I'm sure Erik still has the cam card laying around. It will put well over 500 to the wheel on a dynojet, but numbers dont mean shit. Avoid LSK lobes, they beat the shit out of the valvetrain. Kelford's lobes, from what I understand, ramp in quickly, but set the valve down much more gently, keeping valve bounce to a minimum. Keep the powerband under 7000, especially with an auto (some components in automatic transmissions spin 180% of engine RPM)

Last edited by 67rscamarovette; 10-02-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #16
Erik@lashway

Drives: Camaros, Vettes, Trucks
Good info Ollie, thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
Okay, I searched and found stb3222's dyno sheet and it was around 460-465, which is statistically very close to my XFI-lobed numbers if we call the FAST102 and my EWP a draw.

My "desire" would be for a kinder, gentler lobe that would work well with PAC-1518's. Guess I'm one of those old school people who believe high lift is a bandaid for poor flowing heads, yet most LS3-specific Comp Cam profiles are are what, 0.617, 0.624?

It might be informative for the masses if Lashway were to make a quick list, as current as most of us know it, of available cam profiles for LS3 motors. I'm sure this would be good marketing for Lashway/Kelford (with their claim of fast opening, gentle closing ramps) as well as being very informative. I know the few of us LS owners that are bothered by valvetrain noise feel pretty strong about this subject, the compromises they entail, and the lengths and expense (vendor sales from lazy/old people such as myself who draw the line higher each year as to what things we won't personally turn a wrench on) to which we go about solving them.
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
'Mo's Seemingly Endless Build Thread
Old 10-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #18
Erik@lashway

Quote:
Okay, I searched and found stb3222's dyno sheet and it was around 460-465, which is statistically very close to my XFI-lobed numbers if we call the FAST102 and my EWP a draw.

My "desire" would be for a kinder, gentler lobe that would work well with PAC-1518's. Guess I'm one of those old school people who believe high lift is a bandaid for poor flowing heads, yet most LS3-specific Comp Cam profiles are are what, 0.617, 0.624?

It might be informative for the masses if Lashway were to make a quick list, as current as most of us know it, of available cam profiles for LS3 motors. I'm sure this would be good marketing for Lashway/Kelford (with their claim of fast opening, gentle closing ramps) as well as being very informative. I know the few of us LS owners that are bothered by valvetrain noise feel pretty strong about this subject, the compromises they entail, and the lengths and expense (vendor sales from lazy/old people such as myself who draw the line higher each year as to what things we won't personally turn a wrench on) to which we go about solving them.
hey this is josh from lashway,
a couple things i would like to point out:
1.) shane's (stb3222) cam peaks at 6400rpm which is awesome for 450+ rwhp cam and idles beautifully at 700 rpm
2.) our dyno reads VERY low, we have seen the same car make over 8% more power on an exact same mustang dyno at another shop
3.) the FAST 102mm is being choked by the stock throttle body so do not read too much into it, the real gains are with the 102mm TB.
4.) the LS3 heads flow CFM numbers that only $2500 aftermarket casting heads could get you 5 years ago.
5.) We use HIGH LIFT cams because the LSX heads flow great number at those lift points. the parts used today can handle crazy lift numbers and the LS3 heads love it. i have at least 5+ daily driven cars out there with 645"+ lifts. they are the opposite of a bandaid!
6.) Kelford after tons of testing and research uses one cam lobe for its LSx applications. they decided that one perfected lobe was much better then 5 different ones that each had its flaws. they have fast ramp rates and awesome valvetrain control (better then what ive seen), additonally the cams are designed to have more valve time area at a given lift, specifically at .200". meaning the valve's open time area is greater then other lobe profiles. it is kinda complicated put pretty cool.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #19
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
Thanks for the info Josh. Very much appreciated.

(I remain a bit unconvinced, although open minded, about your responses to #3 and #5 in the context of a stock cube LS3, but this thread is about Lashway's Kelford cam installs.)

Could you maybe post a link to Kelford or your website that has Kelford LS cam info?
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
'Mo's Seemingly Endless Build Thread
Old 10-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #20
Erik@lashway

Quote:
Thanks for the info Josh. Very much appreciated.

(I remain a bit unconvinced, although open minded, about your responses to #3 and #5 in the context of a stock cube LS3, but this thread is about Lashway's Kelford cam installs.)

Could you maybe post a link to Kelford or your website that has Kelford LS cam info?
that is fine to each his own, with an ls3 you'll make power no matter what you do haha

KELFORD INFO:
"The Kelford Cams LS camshafts are the best lobe designs in the industry (in our opinion), featuring fast acting valve motion while retaining valve train stability and valve spring reliability.

The Kelford LS cams feature more duration at .200" than our competitors (for the same lift and .050" duration) but the big advantage is that Kelford has better control of the valve train parts. So the result for our customers is high horsepower, great driveability and superior parts life."

here is there info and some of their shelf grinds, we always order custom grinds as they do mostly circle track racing.
http://www.camshaftshop.com/home?pag...ategory_id=128
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #21
Erik@lashway

Josh, use your own name....you name stealer....lol

Closed Thread