Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Should Video Games Be covered under the 1st amendment?

First I would like to say, this thread is NOT open for political discussion. This is about video games and the future of gaming that this Supreme Court hearing holds. Keep ALL replies about video games and your opinions on whether or not they should be covered by the first amendment.

Second I would like to thank the mods for allowing me to post this even if it just stays open for a little while.

Ok now for the thread.

One of if not the most important video gaming case is going to the US Supreme Court. Should Video Games Be covered under the 1st amendment?

Quote:
For nearly two decades, elected officials have tried to regulate which video games you can buy, rent and play. Every single time they’ve passed a law, the federal courts have struck it down as unconstitutional. But this may change this fall.

The Supreme Court of the United States has agreed to hear the State of California’s infamous ‘violent video game case,’ Schwarzenegger v. EMA. That means that this year, or early next, the Court is going to decide whether to agree with the lower federal courts or not. Agreeing would mean that they believe that video games are, and should continue to be, First Amendment protected speech; just like books, movies and music. The court disagreeing would mean that they think video games should be treated differently. This could lead to new bills and laws curtailing video game access in states across the country.

It is no exaggeration to state that their hearing represents the single most important moment for gamers, and the pivotal issue for gaming, in the sector’s history.

Over this summer, we’ll be drafting and formally submitting our amicus brief, which will be included with the other official court documents related to the case. Separately, we will also attach a petition signed by you, the American public, which –by its very existence – will publicly define who the consumers of interactive entertainment are and why we care enough about the issue to take the time to make the effort to speak up and make our voices heard. The petition establishes an authoritative collective position which cannot be redefined by detractors nor co-opted by others. And it enshrines each and every signatory’s participation in the court documents and in the U.S. National Archives’ official records related to the case.

If you’re an American gamer, and you care about gaming and your rights, stand up and be counted; sign the petition today!
Please sign the petition below if you agree. This one court case can very well change how we and our kids are able to buy and play video games in the future.

http://action.theeca.com/p/dia/actio...ction_KEY=1781

Also I would also like to ask, if you are a gamer to PLEASE pass this on to your friends, family, other forums and anybody else you may know that plays games and wants to protect their ability to buy and play games they want as they see fit.

Thanks

Last edited by Mr_Draco; 05-16-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
All gamers should have the right to tube the noobz. Look at Australia. They can't even get half the games we do because their classification system doesn't have an 18+ M rated category. So if it can't get a Teen rating it's pretty much an X rating and the game never hit's there shores. :(

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
All gamers should have the right to tube the noobz. Look at Australia. They can't even get half the games we do because their classification system doesn't have an 18+ M rated category. So if it can't get a Teen rating it's pretty much an X rating and the game never hit's there shores. :(

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Where is the petition?

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Where is the petition?
Bah hold on let me fix the link. I screwed it up with all my copying and pasting. I've been posting this on a couple other forums all day and got tired so I just copied and pasted one of my other threads which screwed up the link.

There we go all better.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post

I totally agree which is why I started this thread.

My biggest fear is not just the limitation of what can be bought but the limitation of what developers can make. This one hearing has the capability of completely ruining the gaming industry.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
riverrattcom

Drives: 2010 2SS RS SIM
No games should not be covered under the first amendment.
riverrattcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrattcom View Post
No games should not be covered under the first amendment.
If I may ask, why do you believe this?

The 1st amendment gives us the freedom and the right to express ourselves in any way we choose as long as it is done so using lawful means. Should game developers not have the freedom to express themselves and their artistic abilities by creating games they choose? Should gamers not have the freedom to express themselves by purchasing and playing games that they choose? The 1st amendment already covers paintings, drawings, movies and music so why not games as well?

Please tell me, why do you think games should not be covered?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
It irritates me to hell and back when people try to censor video games.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
If I may ask, why do you believe this?

The 1st amendment gives us the freedom and the right to express ourselves in any way we choose as long as it is done so using lawful means. Should game developers not have the freedom to express themselves and their artistic abilities by creating games they choose? Should gamers not have the freedom to express themselves by purchasing and playing games that they choose? The 1st amendment already covers paintings, drawings, movies and music so why not games as well?

Please tell me, why do you think games should not be covered?
I think he's agreeing with you...
Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Well after looking at it a second time I can see where you can get this. It all depends on the punctuation of the sentence. I read it as "No, games should not be covered under the first amendment."
Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
I think you're right. Perhaps a bit lost?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
It irritates me to hell and back when people try to censor video games.

It grinds my gears when parents can't take one second out of their lives and actually look at the games that they are buying their children. Then when the kids get home and all the sudden their kids are killing people, "OMG" the parents say, and then they start screaming censorshit! Parents have to take some responsibility here, and quit blaming the gaming industry for things that the parents themselves could have easily avoided by reading the ESRB rating on the back of the case.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
baumy2eagle
Baumy2eagle

Drives: 2010 Camaro & 96 GMC Jimmy
Send a message via Yahoo to baumy2eagle
I don't see why they sensor it to begin with. You'll see worse things on youtube these days...I know some people think of video games as an escape from reality, well if some people want that escape to involve killin 500 aliens or terrorists so be it, it's their right...there is too much money involved now to start banning games like modern warfare or halo. Look at the tv shows they are showing these days, there really isn't much comparison of violence, sexual content, and offensive language between games and t.v. now...and hardly anybody complains about tv anymore. imo I'm a video game addict, and can't wait for red dead redemption to come out tomorrow....ya'll have a great day
4200- 9/09/09
Brian Dean Baumgartner
voice over artist for movie trailers
imaging and liners for music
KIXS 108 Morning Show
http://www.myspace.com/baumy2eagleproductions

http://www.kixs.com
baumy2eagle is offline   Reply With Quote