Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #841
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I need one of these like I need a hole it my head, but after driving Russ's around the neighborhood I think I really do NEED one now...

You definitely don't want to let the Valet park it...
Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #842
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I need one of these like I need a hole it my head, but after driving Russ's around the neighborhood I think I really do NEED one now...

You definitely don't want to let the Valet park it...
... Ferris Buehler's Day Off comes to mind...
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #843
Darth_Emma

I'd love a full review of this tranny...
Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #844
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
... Ferris Buehler's Day Off comes to mind...
Exactly...
Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #845
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
I'd love a full review of this tranny...
The shift pattern goes like this (If I remember right)

P
N
R
4th
3rd
2nd
1st

So from park you pull back twice to Reverse... then you ratchet back 6 times to get to 1st... no need to count because you feel the 7th pull is stopped.

Then just ratchet forward one at a time as you go up in gears and pull back to downshift... (No mercy you push or pull and it goes) Once you get to 6th it won't push forward until you push the red lever forward. So if you pull up and stop in 3rd gear you would have to push forward twice and then flip the lever to tap back up to park.

Hope I got all that right... as you can see I'm pretty excited about Russ's new toy also...

Last edited by mlee; 07-29-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: delete 5th & 6th
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #846
Darth_Emma

Quote:

P
N
R
6th
5th
4th
3rd
2nd
1st

So from park you pull back twice to Reverse... then you ratchet back 6 times to get to 1st... no need to count because you feel the 7th pull is stopped.

Then just ratchet forward one at a time as you go up in gears and pull back to downshift... (No mercy you push or pull and it goes) Once you get to 6th it won't push forward until you push the red lever forward. So if you pull up and stop in 3rd gear you would have to push forward twice and then flip the lever to tap back up to park.

Hope I got all that right... as you can see I'm pretty excited about Russ's new toy also...
So you can't accidentally go from 6th at 80 mph into reverse?

How natural does it feel to shift? Do you think it shifts faster than the stock auto tranny?

I guess I want to know all the advantages (and disadvantages) of this new tranny.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #847
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:

How natural does it feel to shift? Do you think it shifts faster than the stock auto tranny?

I guess I want to know all the advantages (and disadvantages) of this new tranny.
Very natural shifting (I had to think about it, but I'm sure it's 2nd nature to Russ by now)... and it's way faster than the stock tranny. I think his is wired or will be wired to display the gear in the DIC like w/ paddle shifters.

Owen explained it to me this way... it's like lining up 6 gears on a rod.. then slide them all the way to the rear and just slapping one right up next to the other... one at a time. Very smooth shifting too.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #848
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Thanks. Traveling this week, but I'll try and put something together when I get home.

No clutch pedal. Click forward to upshift...back to downshift.

Manumatics are so cool - very nice Russ !!

Just don't forget to put it in first when you come up to the light. Also, I assume the converter can't lock in the lower gears.

A blast to drive. Nice.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #849
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post

Just don't forget to put it in first when you come up to the light. Also, I assume the converter can't lock in the lower gears.

A blast to drive. Nice.
The Thumb button is set to lock the converter. I think it will lock in lower gears..(could be wrong) Also notice the switch by the cup holder... that's a converter lock for the highway.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #850
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Just curious as to what made your decision to go with this setup instead of a built 4l80e auto with a trans brake if you ever decide to run it at the track? I just took my manual out and am swapping to a built 4l80e with a trans brake. Not saying it is bad but just curious as to how you made your decision as I loved driving a manual but for my setup the auto setup was best for me. Sweet ride by the way. You will love the LSX 427, it is a true beast and absolutely insane with alot of boost.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #851
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Just curious as to what made your decision to go with this setup instead of a built 4l80e auto with a trans brake if you ever decide to run it at the track? I just took my manual out and am swapping to a built 4l80e with a trans brake. Not saying it is bad but just curious as to how you made your decision as I loved driving a manual but for my setup the auto setup was best for me. Sweet ride by the way. You will love the LSX 427, it is a true beast and absolutely insane with alot of boost.
One of the cars Owen did (Madd600) has the same tranny w/ a controller that does all the shifting so it's fully automatic. Russ has the option to do this also.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #852
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:

P
N
R
6th
5th
4th
3rd
2nd
1st

Corrections (only 4 gears):

P
Space
R
N
4th
3rd
2nd
1st

You can go into neutral from 4th gear, but you have to use the release to go into reverse.

Quote:
Exactly...it's for safety. Since this transmission is completely manual, you could also technically start it in 1st. To prevent this, Owen set it up so it won't give me the key back unless the car is in park or neutral.

Quote:
The shift feels great, and took me about 5 minutes to get used to. The shift is instantaneous.

Quote:
I really wanted a manual car originally, but didn't want to have to ride a clutch every day in traffic. This gives me the fun of shifting without it. I can stay in boost through every gear, and it should handle all the power I throw at it.

I also figure it will be a good theft deterrent, since they probably won't know how to drive it. If it ever comes up stolen I'll just send the cops to Mlee's house.

The only disadvantages would be shifting (if you don't like that), and no more valet parking.

Quote:
Very natural shifting (I had to think about it, but I'm sure it's 2nd nature to Russ by now)... and it's way faster than the stock tranny. I think his is wired or will be wired to display the gear in the DIC like w/ paddle shifters.

Owen explained it to me this way... it's like lining up 6 gears on a rod.. then slide them all the way to the rear and just slapping one right up next to the other... one at a time. Very smooth shifting too.
Shifting is very natural after a few minutes. My car doesn't show me which gear I'm in, but it will tell me when I'm in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post

A blast to drive. Nice.
It will actually roll in 2nd, but it obviously bogs and let's you know to shift back down.

Quote:
The Thumb button is set to lock the converter. I think it will lock in lower gears..(could be wrong) Also notice the switch by the cup holder... that's a converter lock for the highway.
What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
I will be running it down the track, but have decided to wait until the 427 goes in. I really love shifting, and will enjoy the challenge.

Quote:
One of the cars Owen did (Madd600) has the same tranny w/ a controller that does all the shifting so it's fully automatic. Russ has the option to do this also.
Correct...just chose not to.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #853
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Bout time you showed up... I was having a field day in your thread...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #854
10spokess
Wild and Cammed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
You have convinced me to get this set up for my car I actually just found one I can't wait to get it in man. Sorry if I am stealing your idea I just wanna have fun lol