Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I would have to agree, you can put $10 to $15K into your 2010 and have twice the car as the ZL1. Not only will it handle with the ZL1, it will have far more power then the ZR1 corvette!!!

I have nothing against the ZL1, great car, but its not hard to improve upon it in terms of performance.

Now, it your wanting a factory warrantee for the full extent of what is offered by GM, certainly get the ZL1.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!

Last edited by Fiftydriver; 04-08-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
Lucas Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Well said. I can't thank you guys enough for your advice. I wanted to see alternative perspectives and try to finally come to a reasonable decision. Either way...I can't lose. It's a win/win in my book!! And I couldn't agree more- it is an AMAZING time to be a Camaro enthusiast!!!
Lucas Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #17
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Maybe. But after I made my statement, I tried...spec for spec to mimic the ZL1. From tires, wheels, and exterior aero bits...to the clutch, driveshaft, diff, half-shafts, suspension, brakes, engine, and exhaust.

It came to about 72,000 total, including a 2SS/RS. I assure you - I was being as frugal as possible. But that was....EVERYTHING.

If a person only wants to build a car for Drag Racing, or even a Drag Racer with some excellence in the corners, you can absolutely come in under the ceiling of the ZL1. But you can't build something that is truly equivalent or better for less. And you certainly can't do it with a warranty. If you could - Chevy would have failed.
Then, using your own logic, why doesn't a ZL1 cost 72k dollars? Come on....man. Plus he already owns his car...he's not buying another one to build. You are skewing the numbers to make your point.

20k it can be done..easily. It would be faster straight line and it's equal at a road track.

Quote:

Maybe - but I'm no expert driver.

And I didn't mean for this to become a "ZL1 versus all of the aftermarket" thread. I apologize! I don't believe that to be an issue in the least. However, I did want to try and lay as many options on the table for the OP as possible.

You have to admit - today is a GREAT day to be a Camaro enthusiast. There is just SO much out there. Both from the factory and the aftermarket!
Couldn't agree more...great day to be a car enthusiast in general with a lot of pretty attractive choices.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #18
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Camaro View Post
Well said. I can't thank you guys enough for your advice. I wanted to see alternative perspectives and try to finally come to a reasonable decision. Either way...I can't lose. It's a win/win in my book!! And I couldn't agree more- it is an AMAZING time to be a Camaro enthusiast!!!
Quoted for the truth....you can't really lose either way if you are looking for an amazing machine. The ZL1 has a lot going for it so I don't want to come off as anti-ZL1. It's a badass factory production car with a warranty that will be a collectable car some day.
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 04-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #19
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Then, using your own logic, why doesn't a ZL1 cost 72k dollars? Come on....man. Plus he already owns his car...he's not buying another one to build. You are skewing the numbers to make your point.

20k it can be done..easily. It would be faster straight line and it's equal at a road track.
Help me understand this. Regardless of paying for a new camaro or not, 20K puts the price of the car anywhere from 52-55K. Now, with no warranty, you will certainly have to add costs for repairs which will certainly happen. What does this bring the price up to? I'm not seeing how you are saving any money in the long run.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #20
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I think a bigger aspect is being overlooked. If you have a three year old Camaro already you have most of the bugs worked out and most of the warranty gone except for the power train. I know of a few guys on here who had troubles at the track and were not covered under warranty, even though the car was not modified. Who can guarantee that when you take the ZL-1 to a drag strip or road course and blow something up that GM will cover it? At least if you modify your three year old car, void the power train warranty you have no surprises.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #21
Strzelec

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
In my opinion if you upgrade the hell out of your current Camaro you will take away the resale value. Think about it, if you were buying a new car and saw one totally modified (translation probably drove hard because of the mods) or one stock and took care of which one would you prefer?

Now just because it's modified doesn't mean it was ran hard but that's what the general public will think. In my opinion you will be better off if you can get the ZL1 and with it you will get a lot more respect from the people in the know. Resale value is not lost cause of questions about how and who modified it and was it done right, will it still be dependable blah blah blah.

Get the ZL1, in the long run you will be much happier and have a warranty.
Strzelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
Help me understand this. Regardless of paying for a new camaro or not, 20K puts the price of the car anywhere from 52-55K. Now, with no warranty, you will certainly have to add costs for repairs which will certainly happen. What does this bring the price up to? I'm not seeing how you are saving any money in the long run.
He already owns his car......and my car will run away from a ZL1 in a straight line like it was towing a camper. If starting from scratch I would positively say buy the ZL1...you are way ahead starting with that but if you already have an SS then you will lose another 10-15k on the trade and depreciation...at LEAST.

The difference maker to me, is whether you already own an SS to build.
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strzelec View Post
In my opinion if you upgrade the hell out of your current Camaro you will take away the resale value. Think about it, if you were buying a new car and saw one totally modified (translation probably drove hard because of the mods) or one stock and took care of which one would you prefer?

Now just because it's modified doesn't mean it was ran hard but that's what the general public will think. In my opinion you will be better off if you can get the ZL1 and with it you will get a lot more respect from the people in the know. Resale value is not lost cause of questions about how and who modified it and was it done right, will it still be dependable blah blah blah.

Get the ZL1, in the long run you will be much happier and have a warranty.
Lol..resale value. That's funny....it's a Camaro, they have no resale value just like any other car.
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #24
Strzelec

Shows your ignorance, I see lots of threads on here about good money people are getting on resale. Resale on a ZL1 will be much bettter than on a modded out beat up camaro.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #25
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
He already owns his car......and my car will run away from a ZL1 in a straight line like it was towing a camper. If starting from scratch I would positively say buy the ZL1...you are way ahead starting with that but if you already have an SS then you will lose another 10-15k on the trade and depreciation...at LEAST.

The difference maker to me, is whether you already own an SS to build.
However, for most "already owns the car" probably means making payments. If you really have already paid outright for the car, I agree that moding would be the way to go. I suppose it comes down to how far into the payments you are. If you aren't that far in, I don't see you saving that much cash.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #26
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strzelec View Post
Shows your ignorance, I see lots of threads on here about good money people are getting on resale. Resale on a ZL1 will be much bettter than on a modded out beat up camaro.

You call ME ignorant in the same post you claim people make money on a used car...that's comedy genius right there. What you are seeing is people who might not be getting hammered as badly as they expected....but that does not mean they are not coming out upside down.

Listen...I don't have a dog in this fight....I don't really care, have very little interest in a ZL1 because, while it's a great car, it isn't even close to the car I would want it to be at the track. If it is YOUR cup of tea then buy one and enjoy it.
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 04-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #27
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
However, for most "already owns the car" probably means making payments. If you really have already paid outright for the car, I agree that moding would be the way to go. I suppose it comes down to how far into the payments you are. If you aren't that far in, I don't see you saving that much cash.

Man you guys just aren't thinking this through....sure payments are one thing but where you LOSE is when you go to trade your SS. The minute you buy the car and drive it off the lot you lost 7 to 10k dollars....if it's a couple of years old then it will be more than that.
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #28
Strzelec

Quote:
You call ME ignorant in the same post you claim people make money on a used car...that's comedy genius right there. What you are seeing is people who might not be getting hammered as badly as they expected....but that does not mean they are not coming out upside down.
OK you win I'm ignorant, but I still say no matter what year it is a ZL1 will have much greater value than any modded out camaro.

Tags
supercharged 2010 camaro, zl1