Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
The Baron

Drives: 2013 zl1
ported blower reassembly

i have been working on this as the first mod of the many that are coming down the pipe and thought maybe some of you would be interested in the journy..

The reason I went through all this work is Iv been told by two diff cts-v guys they picked up around 50-70 (depending who you talk to) wheel from this. On a stock car im sure its not that much, but i can say honestly that a car with heads, a cam, and exhaust, I could absolutly see that much gain coming from it.. these things are a casting MESS on the inside.

ok, here are some of the before and during pics of the ports.. i dont have any finished pics close up, but you get the idea

now in my O.P i think this is where the greatest power making potential is.. the injector really intrudes on the port and just makes a mess at the bottom. this is right before the polish began.

notice the actual port size was untouched.. the blower outlet matches the factory head port very closely. they got that right.. now when the car gets cnc'd heads, this might have to get touched up.

this is the area where i am pretty sure just the smoothing of as many of the corners the air has to travel around, which is ALOT was most important. I was told by one of the guys i talked to they removed so much metal they actually had to add some epoxy to fix a few places they went through.. I did not come close to that anywhere..
again before

after port but pre polish

if you look, you can see how the air has to really work its way around things in there.. the injector bosses are just in the way, but there is no place else for them to go.

now the inlet is also a big problem.. actually a huge problem with these tiny blowers according to the blower guys i talked to. I was told i needed to make the throttle body be the restriction, take out anything that could possibly be seen as a restriction.. so i did.

now i dont have a before pic but there is a HUGE cast in THUMB that sticks down where the sensor bolt holds down whatever sensor on the upper right side of the throttle body. it was a huge intrusion into the inlet..its gone.. i shortened the bolt and sealed the hole.
you also cant see but I there is a huge hump that travels down the center of the inlet that is where the center bottom bolt that holds the inlet to the blower together.. i cut that down to as small of a hump as I could safely without compramising the bolt hole. this also had to be done to the blower case itself so the inlet would match the blower (alot of work went into this. i have a inlet done by one of the large companies on my cts v, and as nice as it looks, very smooth, it is NOWHERE near as worked over as this. they would have to charge 500 bucks just to pay for the labor easy.

this pic here shows a pretty good diff between the unfinished inlet and a untouched blower case. you can see the bolt hole casting i spoke about pretty clearly. later in the porting the two matched up perfectly when assembled..

The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
The Baron

ok, here are some more pics of things..

The outlet right above the rotors is a place of two diff theorys.. i spoke to guys that said open it, and i spoke to guys that said dont..

I didn't.. i chose just to smooth the transfer

pre polish

Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
The Baron

this gives you a idea of what the air has to get around to get out of the base into the head

this pic is from early on, but it gives you a idea of how the radius was rounded as much as possible

just because this has been a hot topic, these are the couplers everyone has been reading about.. grey one has 650 miles on it, the tan one is from my v, had about 38,000 on it when it was replaced because of the crazy noise it was making.

Last edited by The Baron; 11-26-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
The Baron

here is the blower after cleanup and right before i assembled it tonight.

the rotors...

the gears eaton says you hear if you put in the solid coupler..

this is a pick of the case. this was before anything was done, but you could not see the work from this side anyhow..

the assembled blower ready for a baseline before the pulley gets installed
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
The Baron

i just dug through the old posts.. KDI said they saw gains of 22 wheel hp just doing the inlet and porting the TB.. i would be happy to see 25 wheel for the entire blower port. I guess we will see..

I would LOVE for this thing to creep up on 500 wheel without any other mods, being a auto that would be a great start.. ill keep everybody posted
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Thanks for the detailed documentation and explanation of your process. Looking forward to your dyno results. How many hours do you have into the entire job?
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
nice post...we need more of these here
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
The Baron

alot.. prob 20 hours..plus the polish.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
The Baron

The blower is back on.. You can actually hear it now.. the car actually sounds like cars do when you put a aftermarket cold air setup on them.. mine should be in any day now so I am looking very forward to hearing it then..

seat of the pants is not really relevent because its cold outside and all it does is spin and I have been driving the caddy all week so everything feels slow..
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
The Baron

update..been driving the car, waiting for the weather to finally go south.

opened up inlet opening..installed 2.38 pulley..

now we are ready to flow REAL air..

NW 102 throttle body and 2.38 pulley install done.. testing will be done sometime next week to see HP increase..
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
The Baron

Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
The Baron

Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
TripleBlkZL1

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10 & 18 2500HD Duramax
Can't wait to see the results
TripleBlkZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #14
The Baron

started it tonight.. i cant believe the car figured out the idle on its own.. it did not even go into r.e.p.. very cool...the air cleaner is making a very clean suction noise now..low.. tomorrow new belt, sat or sunday tune..i love it when a plan comes together..