Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 11-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
Panda1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE (6spd)
Anyone local in Temecula that can help?

I am looking for someone local to help me diagnose or maybe fix the A/C in my car. I am unsure if it is the blend door and want to be sure before I dive into that huge project. Anyone willing to help?

CAI intake, Stainless Power LTH, SCT X4, NPP exhaust
Panda1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
I just replaced the compressor on my 2010. Just stopped working one day. We jumpered the compressor at the engine bay fuse box and the compressor would not engage. I read it was recommended to replace the condenser with the compressor, so I did. A bit pricey, but I'm nice and cool again. And you need that in Temecula, it's hot over there!!! I hope that helps a little.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
Panda1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandier View Post
I just replaced the compressor on my 2010. Just stopped working one day. We jumpered the compressor at the engine bay fuse box and the compressor would not engage. I read it was recommended to replace the condenser with the compressor, so I did. A bit pricey, but I'm nice and cool again. And you need that in Temecula, it's hot over there!!! I hope that helps a little.
thanks! I am totally new to a/c issues and have no clue where to begin looking. I also hate to take it to a shop since I like to do all the work if i can.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:17 AM   #4
ChaosActual

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
I had to replace every single A/C component on my car when I purchased it because the previous owner had stripped out every non-essential component for weight reduction. With that being said, I am pretty well acquainted with the A/C on this car and could probably help you out. What symptoms are you currently having?
ChaosActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
CHRISCAM

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/1LE
My blend door is broken too. Just quit last week. I took it to a shop that I trust and the mechanic told me that he personally won't do the full dash/windshield removal procedure but would recommend doing the panel cut shortcut method.
Looked it up on YouTube (search "Camaro Blend Door" to find a number of videos.
It's a pretty tricky procedure, but if the instructions are followed carefully it looks like it can be done in a few hours.
My mechanic wants to charge about $400-500 to do it, vs. $2000+ for a dealer to do the dash removal method.
Not ready to try it myself or to pay the $500, so I'm going to have to hold off for a while on my repair.
I recommend watching a few of those YouTube videos and get a good feel for what exactly is involved.
CHRISCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
Panda1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISCAM View Post
My blend door is broken too. Just quit last week. I took it to a shop that I trust and the mechanic told me that he personally won't do the full dash/windshield removal procedure but would recommend doing the panel cut shortcut method.
Looked it up on YouTube (search "Camaro Blend Door" to find a number of videos.
It's a pretty tricky procedure, but if the instructions are followed carefully it looks like it can be done in a few hours.
My mechanic wants to charge about $400-500 to do it, vs. $2000+ for a dealer to do the dash removal method.
Not ready to try it myself or to pay the $500, so I'm going to have to hold off for a while on my repair.
I recommend watching a few of those YouTube videos and get a good feel for what exactly is involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosActual View Post
I had to replace every single A/C component on my car when I purchased it because the previous owner had stripped out every non-essential component for weight reduction. With that being said, I am pretty well acquainted with the A/C on this car and could probably help you out. What symptoms are you currently having?

Yea i have watched the YouTube Dremel method and am a bit afraid to mess up and maybe not be able to re"seal" the box. I just want to diagnose it really to making sure that it is the blend door. Maybe hook up some gauges and see if anything else can be checked before I narrow it down to the blend door. My buddy showed me a rubber hose that blocks off the coolant ($10 piece) so you retain your a/c yet have no hot air if you need it. I already bought one of those Autozone cans to refill the refrigerant but once I connected the hose it showed in the green as in good. Right now the issue is just hot air being blown through the vents. I also do not see any condensation if i run the a/c and im parked on my driveway. I don't hear any noise at all when shifting from heater to a/c (shouldn't I hear the blend door flipping from one side or another?). I am having to use the recirculate button in order to stop hot air from cooking me on my 80 mile commute from work (1 way).

Old 02-18-2020, 01:50 AM   #7
Panda1LE

Blend door was definitely broken! It was sheered off violently at the same spot everyone else’s usually is. This job was a major pain. The position, lack of space, lack of lighting, cut up hands, the floor vent that is a trigonometry problem to figure out while removing and putting back together, and the holding of the new blend door while putting the cut plastic piece back in place! Whew! Im telling you, GOOD LUCK if you attempt it. Btw, multi max tool was a good choice to cut up the piece but an extremely tight fit when putting everything back together. I had to trim some more off while in hand in order to get it back in its place. THANKS Chevy
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
well i guess whenever i get my camaro back on the road that will be something to look forward to at some point lol.
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
Panda1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
well i guess whenever i get my camaro back on the road that will be something to look forward to at some point lol.
hopefully you get it running asap, if you do have to do this project it sucks but it is doable and is definitely better then paying over 2k for the dealer to remove the windshield and dash. I was cussing and making up obscenities i don't think even exist but after it is all said and done and i have air and i spent only $120 to do the job ($99 for tool, $15 for replacement door, $5 for the correct tool to remove the seat bolts on the floorboard), i am happy and would do it again. The hardest thing for me for some reason was the floor vent that is in the way and in an awkward bend position up high in the dash (FUN to take off and put back on).