Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
camarofanatic

Drives: 2010 camaro
break-in period

before people start jumping all over this thread because it might of been answered somewhere else but i couldnt find a deffinate answer(which some have the tendancy to do) what is the break in period ive seen 500 to 1000 miles and is there a certain speed that you cant go past or what

thank you
camarofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i don't really know if there's a definite answer. this ain't 20 years ago when if you didn't break it in right, the engine wouldn't operate as efficiently. from what i hear, the engine will be broken in from the factory (i don't really see how), but either way, i'm gonna take the first 1000 miles or so to make sure & break in the rest of the car. for the first bit, you don't wanna dog it or do much highway driving. just be gentle and try to use a semi-broad rpm range to make sure the rings get seated properly.

others who've had more experience with this feel free to chime in.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I suppose I'm "old school", but I've always followed the same routine;

For the first 500 mi.; no hard accelerations, vary the speeds at which I drive (no sustained speed for any length of time), no "speed shifting"; and an oil/filter change after 500 mi.

I've been told the above isn't necessary with "todays engines", but it's not a problem (for me) to follow these few steps and give myself "piece of mind".

I hope that helped answer your question?
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
New CAR engines are good to go, especially if they're shipping with synth. engine oil. They better be, the way I drive em!
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
I'm just going to follow my trusty owner's manual

Should have all the info we need.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Don't know if you would have to change the oil at 500 with Mobile 1 and it holding almost 9qts of oil. I plan on my first change at 3K then aound every 6K after that with Mobile 1.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
From what I understand the engines are broken in very well at the factories. However other various components need to be worn in a little like the suspension and brakes and such, so I am going to accelerate smooth, brake smooth, corner smooth, drive on smooth roads and all that for the first 750 miles or so, then gradually get more agressive with it until I am driving it like I stole it at around 125000-150000 miles. But that is just me and is most likely completely uneccessary, but I am a little OCD and can't help myself.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
I'm just going to follow my trusty owner's manual

Should have all the info we need.
Yes the manual will probably say to take it easy for like 600 miles and vary RPM's, and most people will say that is fine. Of course some people love to beat the heck outta their cars and peel out of the dealership, which can be argued is fine too. Just depends on who you talk to, and what you are comfortable with.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Yes the manual will probably say to take it easy for like 600 miles and vary RPM's, and most people will say that is fine. Of course some people love to beat the heck outta their cars and peel out of the dealership, which can be argued is fine too. Just depends on who you talk to, and what you are comfortable with.
Yea, I trust those GM engineers who get paid a ton of money to know their cars inside and out. If they say I can beat on it at 500 miles, hell that's what I'll do!
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
camarofanatic

Drives: 2010 camaro
thank you all that helps alot i plan on taking it easy bc its a brand new car i wouldnt want to be horsing around and wrap it up OH GOD i think id go and dig 6 foot and hide from my parents
camarofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post

also, its been confirmed that these engines will come with synthetic oil. so to help with the break-in, there are 'break-in synthetic' oils out there, Royal Purple makes one for example.

i agree on varying rpms strongly and i would avoid long trips where sustained speeds are likely to occur.

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
Timberline

Drives: 2010 SS/RS,LS3,M6,VR
Your paying for the car break it in the way you see fit.

I normally take it easy for the first 200 miles so the gears can wear in and always varying speed and rpm. I will get on it from day one but won't speed shift it. After that I drive it like I stole it but will still vary rpm and speed until 1000 miles for example no highway cruising at a set speed & rpm for long periods of time.

Never hammer it when the rearend and transmission are cold like frist thing in the morning this is my rule for as long as I own any car/truck. The gears normally warm up after a mile or so depending on how cold it is out side.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
paulv7260

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM L99
An underlying question to all this is how long would it take you to get through any break-in period? 2 days? A week? Face it, we're going to be in our cars an awful lot those first few days.
paulv7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #14
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I suppose I'm "old school", but I've always followed the same routine;

For the first 500 mi.; no hard accelerations, vary the speeds at which I drive (no sustained speed for any length of time), no "speed shifting"; and an oil/filter change after 500 mi.

I've been told the above isn't necessary with "todays engines", but it's not a problem (for me) to follow these few steps and give myself "piece of mind".

I hope that helped answer your question?
I'll be doing similar!

Same thing till 500 - then an oil change to RP Break in oil till 5000 miles, then an oil change with RP 5W-30 every 5000 miles from then out.

Hopefully that'll be enough to keep my warranty. Otherwise I'll do the oil changes more often.
- Xanthos

P.S. -

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofanatic View Post
thank you all that helps alot i plan on taking it easy bc its a brand new car i wouldnt want to be horsing around and wrap it up OH GOD i think id go and dig 6 foot and hide from my parents
Screw parents, I'd be trying to hide from myself.

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote